Shoutbox

Suggestion: Special threads translation - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Suggestion: Special threads translation (/showthread.php?tid=27647)

Suggestion: Special threads translation by KeyStorm on 06-24-2004 at 03:44 PM

I've been on Spanish IRC channel a while and I've seen that whilst I need sometimes to forward people to some specific posts, they don't understand English.
My suggestion is to being able in some way to create translations to certain posts.
It would be nice, that if a post has a translation available, a link to the translated post would appear underneath the post-body (lotsa work, WDZ ;)). But I think it would make this Community more helpful to the thousands not English-speaking users who already requested this.

And btw, translators could create and edit own translations freely using a translate! button whatsoever.

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Chrono on 06-24-2004 at 04:51 PM

that would be a pain in the ass :P
we would be translating many and many posts :P
if u plan to spend such a big ammount of time, why dont u translate the faqs and upload it somewhere? :chrongue:

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Mike on 06-24-2004 at 05:03 PM

Google? :rolleyes:
Altavista? :rolleyes:

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Chrono on 06-24-2004 at 05:14 PM

nah, online translators couldnt do it, they are way too crappy :P

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by KeyStorm on 06-24-2004 at 05:15 PM

You don't need to translate anything if you don't want to, Chrono.
Btw, the links under the post would be: Français - Italiano - Español...: those available, so if someone gets to that thread is able to chose the own language.

It's a pain in the ass for WDZ, but I offer myself to code it. (Although I know I won't get access to the scripts :P)

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
Google? :rolleyes:
Altavista? :rolleyes:
:lol::lol::lol:

(you're not being serious are you? :dodgy:)

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by saralk on 06-24-2004 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
that would be a pain in the ass :P
we would be translating many and many posts :P

well translaters could just translate things when they are bored
RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Kryptonate on 06-24-2004 at 07:12 PM

why don't you just put posts with the translations under the important post? :-/ It's a lot easier to do that then to make a system for it.

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by KeyStorm on 06-24-2004 at 07:17 PM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=22276
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21686
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598

What about these, for example? And I mean, there's no point on having a long thread with discussion and translations.
And just another point: How do people know about there being any translations?

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Aye, exactly the idea of this. It should be like wikiwiki, you're not forced to do anyithing, but you're free to.
RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Kryptonate on 06-24-2004 at 07:19 PM

they can just look at the thread? :p You can put at the top of the thread they have to go down for translations.

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by KeyStorm on 06-24-2004 at 07:22 PM

Well, it's not nice to mix translations and discussion, don't you think?

And if there are many special posts in one thread, how do you sort them out?

It's not that simple, Kryptonate ;)

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Concord Dawn on 06-24-2004 at 10:20 PM

I'll do French.

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Kryptonate on 06-24-2004 at 10:23 PM

yeah, well, I can't really follow anymore so yeah :p. You can count me in for Dutch. I've got plenty enough of time the first coming months :p (especially the first weeks when i can't use my leg:s)

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Choli on 06-24-2004 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
yeah right, when i'm bored the first thing i like to do is translate texts :P
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
And I mean, there's no point on having a long thread with discussion and translations.
I agree in that point, but assuming that, wouldn't it be easier to translate the faq and tutorials as Chrono said (and  maybe a couple of those sticky, 1-post threads) ?

Imo, adding new translated sections to msgplus.net would be the best idea: ie: translating some (or all) tutorials and faqs would be the best.
quote:
It should be like wikiwiki, you're not forced to do anyithing, but you're free to.
i don't like wikiwiki :-/

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Chrono on 06-24-2004 at 10:35 PM

yip, Patchou should make it so the daqs and tutorials are available on every language :P

even if he doesnt want to, u can translate them and upload em somewhere, its far easier than implementing such an option (u know that wdz is dodgy enough to not allow u to make the option :P)

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Choli on 06-24-2004 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Patchou should make it so the daqs and tutorials are available on every language
i thin he hasn't done that yet because that would be too much work for us, translators, maybe in a (near) future we would ave to translate them.
quote:
u know that wdz is dodgy enough to not allow u to make the option
:lol:
RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by KeyStorm on 06-24-2004 at 10:41 PM

I mean just a sort of wikiwiki restricted to translators.
Only [Image: mptranslator.gif] would be able to edit them. (Maybe the group should grow a bit to let others join it)
And it would be a great advantage, but yeah, wikiwiki is rather unsafe and we can't expect WDZ to build now a wikiwiki-CVS upon the board :P.

I also agree we should translate FAQ and help sites.

But you should understand that we need some more translated support on other issues not stated in there. Not only for IRC, but for anyone who enters the board.

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Chrono on 06-24-2004 at 10:43 PM

ya ya but u can translate that stuff :P is not that much :P

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Johnny_Mac on 06-25-2004 at 12:47 AM

Chronos idea of translating the FAQ's and adding them onto the Messenger Plus! website seems like a more... sensible option. :tongue:

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Kafman on 06-25-2004 at 01:18 AM

Anyway, I would like to help in Spanish :)

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by WDZ on 06-25-2004 at 03:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
Chronos idea of translating the FAQ's and adding them onto the Messenger Plus! website seems like a more... sensible option. :tongue:
I agree. (y)

quote:
even if he doesnt want to, u can translate them and upload em somewhere, its far easier than implementing such an option
Yeah, I'd even let them be hosted here. Implementing the system with the board would be kinda difficult though.

quote:
(u know that wdz is dodgy enough to not allow u to make the option :P)
:blah!:

quote:
Only [Image: mptranslator.gif] would be able to edit them. (Maybe the group should grow a bit to let others join it)
Good ideas.

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Dane on 06-25-2004 at 04:23 AM

I like the general idea of translating certain FAQs and threads.

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Johnny_Mac on 06-25-2004 at 08:52 PM

How would you implement a "general" idea? Send some people to forum posts and some to FAQ pages?

Inconsistancy. :dodgy:

If a good thread isn't on the FAQ, then its up to people to campaign to have it added onto the english msgplus site and then let someone do some translating.

RE: RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Sunshine on 06-25-2004 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
yeah, well, I can't really follow anymore so yeah :p. You can count me in for Dutch. I've got plenty enough of time the first coming months :p (especially the first weeks when i can't use my leg:s)

Krypto, can u help out translating faqs an put em onto our dutch msgplus site (yes the one related to #msgplus.nl on IRC)???
This way we can redirect dutch/belgian ppl to our site for em ;)

If ur not an admin onthere yet..it can be arranged :)
RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Kryptonate on 06-25-2004 at 09:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Krypto, can u help out translating faqs an put em onto our dutch msgplus site (yes the one related to #msgplus.nl on IRC)???
This way we can redirect dutch/belgian ppl to our site for em ;)

If ur not an admin onthere yet..it can be arranged :)

ok, count me in :)
RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by KeyStorm on 06-25-2004 at 10:06 PM

quote:
If a good thread isn't on the FAQ, then its up to people to campaign to have it added onto the english msgplus site and then let someone do some translating.

What about plug-ins? :-/
Are you willing to do a FAQ for plugins? :huh:
RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Vantage on 06-25-2004 at 11:33 PM

I could do very well in french or english :P
I could so-so in spanish
may understand something things in German

P.S I know abit of Gaeghlic too :D

RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by Johnny_Mac on 06-25-2004 at 11:35 PM

quote:
Are you willing to do a FAQ for plugins?
^o)

Surely if theres FAQ's with plugins its up to the developer to see to. :S
RE: Suggestion: Special threads translation by KeyStorm on 06-25-2004 at 11:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vantage
I could do very well in french or english :P
I could so-so in spanish
may understand something things in German

P.S I know abit of Gaeghlic too :D

See now my wikiwiki meaning? Many people seem to be willing to apport something to this. It's not directly wikiwiki (danger), but it's close to it. :)

quote:
Surely if theres FAQ's with plugins its up to the developer to see to. :S
They're mostly posts in this forum. There are many support posts with complete information you can't find in the FAQ on this board. So I think it would make sense to have *something* to make us able to have that threads translated and still somehow linked.