Shoutbox

Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... (/showthread.php?tid=27713)

Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Mike on 06-25-2004 at 09:37 PM

Hi...
It would be cool to have an optional textbox that the user can type why he/she edited his/her post...
For example it will look like:
Last edited by: Mike2 on 26/06/04. Reason: TestingI dont think thats its hard to do but i dont know PHP so i cant tell you...*-)

RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by KeyStorm on 06-25-2004 at 10:03 PM

The idea is good, but I'm afraid it's a bit useless.

(I did a test for evaluating if a suggestion would be interesting... can't seem to find it)

RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Johnny_Mac on 06-25-2004 at 10:27 PM

I like the idea, but when it was suggested before it was deemed useless. I edit quite a few posts ((A)) ..Obviously it isnt useful to everyone.

RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by GiantSpider on 06-25-2004 at 10:35 PM

What if say there was a box where you could add your reason should you want to?

RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by WDZ on 06-26-2004 at 01:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
What if say there was a box where you could add your reason should you want to?
It's called "the last line of your message" :refuck:
RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Mike on 06-26-2004 at 08:12 AM

Yeah you wouldnt need to type the reason you edited your post...
Optional like i said...

RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Sunshine on 06-26-2004 at 08:27 AM

Totally useless suggestion. Would u put in: i edited my post cuz i made a typo, or i took out my flaming??? No Way.

RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Anubis on 06-26-2004 at 08:29 AM

Personally I don't care why people edited their posts, and nor do I want to say why I edited them, as sunshine said usually its because of a typo or removing any possible flaming, or to make the post more understandable...

RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Mike on 06-26-2004 at 08:37 AM

Well
I dont know if you read that you wont have to use it!
Just for people that want to know why he/she edited his/her post...
So you wont have to use it every time...

RE: RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Sunshine on 06-26-2004 at 08:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
Well
I dont know if you read that you wont have to use it!
Just for people that want to know why he/she edited his/her post...
So you wont have to use it every time...

Give me one reason/situation when u would put in why u edited?
RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Anubis on 06-26-2004 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
You may have given incorrect advice and want to inform that person...
RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Tochjo on 06-26-2004 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
You may have given incorrect advice and want to inform that person...
Then put it in the edited message :-/
RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Johnny_Mac on 06-26-2004 at 05:27 PM

quote:
When I moderate someones post, I usually add a reason. members are known to re-edit it wiping out what I said. Then the person reporting it thinks I've ignored them; that kinda pisses me off. :P

Maybe I'll think of a variation to the idea, but just for moderators. :undecided:

Does that count as a reason? Good. :refuck:

:blah!:
RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by KeyStorm on 06-26-2004 at 05:36 PM

It would be nice, but I don't see it as a needed feature we couldn't live without.
I'd would use it sometimes to make clear what was changed.

Would it also keep a track of chenges or would it be the same line changing over and voer again when edited?

Would it automatically remain when the thread is re-edited and nothing is put into the reason box?

RE: RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Sunshine on 06-26-2004 at 09:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
quote:
When I moderate someones post, I usually add a reason. members are known to re-edit it wiping out what I said. Then the person reporting it thinks I've ignored them; that kinda pisses me off. :P

Maybe I'll think of a variation to the idea, but just for moderators. :undecided:

Does that count as a reason? Good. :refuck:

:blah!:

Mhhmm an unwipable area in the post for the reason why a mod edited it......sounds good to me (if the mod is kind enough to put in the reason ofcourse, even if it is a shitty one...lolol)! If my post gets edited, yes i'd like to know why too :D

Edit: Lmao, i just realized we're getting slightly off topic cuz this thread is about a box for the user to put in his/her reason for editing his/her own post. Nice twist tho Johnny Mac (Y)
RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Johnny_Mac on 06-26-2004 at 10:25 PM

quote:
(if the mod is kind enough to put in the reason ofcourse, even if it is a shitty one...lolol)!
Usually they do, unless its something dodgy in T&T spanish threads. :refuck:

quote:
If my post gets edited, yes i'd like to know why too
I always include a reason, If I alter a post e.g. removing a link, and someone re-edits and puts it back. That just takes the piss, so maybe if we want a thread to stay, a lock edit option too?

quote:
Lmao, i just realized we're getting slightly off topic cuz this thread is about a box for the user to put in his/her reason for editing his/her own post. Nice twist tho Johnny Mac
Well I'm not going to make a whole new thread about it. Enough feelings and stuff about it are done in here. I'll just take my proposed ideas over onto the Staff forum if need be. (y).

:P

RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by KeyStorm on 06-26-2004 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
That just takes the piss, so maybe if we want a thread to stay, a lock edit option too?

Erm, no. That wouldn't be ethically correct. Since it would be you who wrote the post, not the original author. Mods could edit that post, its author couldn't. :-/

Anyway, If some repeatedly rollback an edit they have the right to be banned (directly, since the edit is already a kind of warning). :refuck:

Now, back to the topic: WDZ won't implement it anyway, so n/m :blah!:
RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by Johnny_Mac on 06-26-2004 at 10:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
That wouldn't be ethically correct.
Now we have ethics and formal warnings... :refuck:
quote:
Mods could edit that post, its author couldn't.
I dont see any difference with a mod being able to edit any post in a locked topic. Anyone who posted in that topic can no longer edit posts. So I dont see how tis would be "ethically" wrong.

quote:
Anyway, If some repeatedly rollback an edit they have the right to be banned (directly, since the edit is already a kind of warning).
I dislike banning people, its only real jackass' who that applies to. Theres several members who post here regulary that have re-edited posts. Should I ban them? ^o)

quote:
Now, back to the topic: WDZ won't implement it anyway, so n/m 
Blah... thats true. :P
RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by KeyStorm on 06-26-2004 at 11:36 PM

Well, you know "repeated rollback" can be seriously annoying. I don't mean 1 rollback, but 5... gets more serious.
In that case I'd PM and tempban.

Dunno about you, but if that member is not following the rules and you are enough kind to edit the post several times, there's a limit.

RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by saralk on 06-27-2004 at 09:30 AM

maybe a limit to the amount of times u are allowed to edit a post.

On the channel 4 forums, you can only edit a post within 2 minutes of posting it, not good for dial-uppers. But how about something like that, but with a one hour limit or something

RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 12:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

On the channel 4 forums, you can only edit a post within 2 minutes of posting it, not good for dial-uppers. But how about something like that, but with a one hour limit or something
Useless and realy a pain in the but tbh.... It's a stupid limitation IMO. What's the purpose of it, other then annoy posters who made a mistake and want to correct it before someone notices the post???

If that limitation is put in, there will be much confusing about some posts because the author made a mistake and can't correct it in time. And while the author is waiting untill the time-limit is over, other people are already replying to the faulty post, etc....

Also a limitation on the amount of editing is useless. There are many situations where you want to edit your post more then once....

As for the reason-box: if you want to put in a reason for editing then do it on the last line of your post. Easy as that....
RE: Suggestion: Reason that user edited the post... by WDZ on 06-28-2004 at 05:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

Uhh... no. :p

I don't see the problem with editing. It's a good thing, and should not be limited.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
As for the reason-box: if you want to put in a reason for editing then do it on the last line of your post. Easy as that....
Damn right. Thread closed.