Shoutbox

AntiVirus Plugin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: AntiVirus Plugin (/showthread.php?tid=27716)

AntiVirus Plugin by Dane on 06-25-2004 at 10:42 PM

Hey,
Recently I was talking with a certain Plugin developer and came up with the idea of releasing an "AntiVirus" Plugin for Messenger Plus!.  The cool thing is it would use FD (Filename Detection) when informing you of a POSSIBLE Virus (not immediate blocking unless its like, the W32.Annoying worm, which has the filename PIC(1)(3)(2)(4).exe). The person you're talking to wouldnt require the plugin (or Plus!, for that matter)

So my poll is, if this system was used to inform you about viruses BEFORE they touch your system, Would you use it?

Post any questions here, ill be happy to describe it, I have a developer in mind ;).

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Choli on 06-25-2004 at 11:56 PM

Personally, I won't use the plugin because I have an Antivirus program and I know when I'm safe or not to execute a received file of my contacts.

However the idea is good. Messenger shows (can show) a popup (I think) when you're gonna open an exe received file, but your plugin could add more security to that. It should work similar to what (for example) Norton Antivirus works with Win Messenger 4.7 (it scans just received files and in case it finds a virus ir sends an instant message to the contact who sent that file with a warning).

Well, as I said the idea is good. Go with it :)

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Dane on 06-26-2004 at 02:12 AM

kool, Thanks for your feedback. Well, the idea behind this plugin (more than likely going ahead with, titled "SecureGuard 2005") is that before the virus even TOUCHES your machine it will tell you the file is in a list of known MSN Messenger worms (Aprox. 35 in circulation at this time, will include an updater to update the detection file).  However, pending what I and my co-programmer (well, Main Programmer for right now) can do, will have it do that.  I also eventually plan to have it include a link so that users can Submit potential viruses for processing, it'd be kinda kool I think, My machine is being updated to have a bunch of Diff Windows on it so not worried about damage, there like, "Disposeable Windows".

Any other thoughts?

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Black_Forky on 06-26-2004 at 07:51 AM

I have a question..
What if they change the filename?

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Anubis on 06-26-2004 at 08:18 AM

Don't like the idea. McAfee antivirus scan (and I think Norton as well) automatically filters viruses out by scanning them just before they're saved...although if the plug-in actually could scan the file it would be more trustworthy (after all the file name could be changed) although this is impossible because plugins can't do that...

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by user13774 on 06-26-2004 at 09:52 AM

The newest Norton and McAfee automaticly scan files you receive by IM so off course they will filter out worms, but you're right that this happens AFTER you downloaded the file. Still it does not really make a difference because norton/mcafee will quarantine the file so you can't open it.

[little bit offtopic, srry for that]
Btw.. if you don't have the newest norton / mcafee you can still let it scan ur files received from your contacts in MSN. Just go the preferences windows and then the tab messages (i have dutch msn). [See attached file]

For Norton (i.e. 01/02/03) you have to use the NAVW32.EXE exe-file which is located in the Norton Antivirus directory

[Image: attachment.php?pid=268670]

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by saralk on 06-26-2004 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Don't like the idea. McAfee antivirus scan (and I think Norton as well) automatically filters viruses out by scanning them just before they're saved...although if the plug-in actually could scan the file it would be more trustworthy (after all the file name could be changed) although this is impossible because plugins can't do that...

i think i am right in saying that this will have a list of all the viruses that send files through msn without the users permission. And block those.

This would also make a good plugin if it did the same for e-mail

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by TheBlasphemer on 06-26-2004 at 11:10 AM

Exoendo, this is definately the most lame thread i have ever seen...
First of all, MSN can already use a virus scanner like mcafee or norton,
second your oh-so-cool-method can be oh-so-easily bypassed by just changing the filename...
And besides, I don't think you have the skills needed to program something to check a filename when you get it sent, I highly doubt it's in some sort of API...

quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo
...I have a developer in mind ;).
Sorry to bother you, but last time I checked the top three plugin developers refused to join your dodgy projects...
RE: AntiVirus Plugin by saralk on 06-26-2004 at 11:14 AM

TB, do u always have to be so critical about everything?

there are a lot of worms that send themselfs through msn using the same filename, and that is what is protecting from

edit: :google: msn messenger worms

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by TheBlasphemer on 06-26-2004 at 11:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
TB, do u always have to be so critical about everything?

there are a lot of worms that send themselfs through msn using the same filename, and that is what is protecting from

Yes, especially when it's from Dane :P
And besides, if you dont have a virusscanner: www.suprnova.org, check the apps section (a)
RE: AntiVirus Plugin by saralk on 06-26-2004 at 11:20 AM

but u seem to have this ability to automatically go into this super defensive mode whenever you see something that could be seen as competition to ur beloved stuffplug plugin, adn then you go crying like a baby and say "im stopping stuff-plug" cos a few people defended the guy who made project lithium

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Tyzer on 06-26-2004 at 11:23 AM

Dane... Stop trying to kiss everyone's ass, your virus plugin is the shittest idea I've ever heard :p

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by TheBlasphemer on 06-26-2004 at 11:24 AM

what does this have to do with stuffplug,
you're not making sense :refuck:

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by TheBlasphemer on 06-26-2004 at 11:26 AM

Oh, a quick except from saralk's recommended google search,
it was in the firs 10 results or so:
http://www.mapistore.com/Messenger/System/Review_00355_index.html

Freeware MSN Virus scanner :P
In case you can't afford (or download) Norton/Mcaffee

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by saralk on 06-26-2004 at 03:26 PM

ok ok, chill.

With regard to the insigtful irc chat we had. Just remember everyone deserves a second chance. If im not mistaken you were banned from these forums and re-registered. You were allowed to stay, i.e. your second chance. Cant you just give Dane a second chance?

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by TheBlasphemer on 06-26-2004 at 03:53 PM

DANE! this is your BEST idea EVER!
It's almost as good as:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=268771]
PLUS MUFFINS!!!!!

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by segosa on 06-26-2004 at 04:06 PM

wow Dane I love your ideas [/sarcasm]

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Dane on 06-26-2004 at 07:44 PM

:dodgy:

"Plus! Muffin" was a codename, not an actual thing :refuck:, as for the plugin, Norton detects it AFTER its on your system, so this will defend before it gets on your system.  As for Automatic Blocking, that will only be used in situations in which it is almost for SURE a virus (ex. W32.Annoying.worm, Pic(1)(3)(2)(4).exe).  Others you will be given the choice of what to do with the file.

Not all plugin developers are taken, you seem to have missed one 8-)

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by TheBlasphemer on 06-26-2004 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Not all plugin developers are taken, you seem to have missed one 8-)

Like :P?

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Dane on 06-26-2004 at 08:21 PM

Matty :).

Edit: Rofl, the image of the Plus! Muffin just loaded :P.  Thats funny.

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by matty on 06-26-2004 at 08:38 PM

8-) Ya its me

I Hate Coding!
lol

The sign of a true loving programmer 8-)

quote:
Edit: Rofl, the image of the Plus! Muffin just loaded :P.  Thats funny.

:refuck: Dane's dodgy dialup :refuck:
RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Millenium_edition on 06-27-2004 at 12:52 PM

TB is right, sorry, but this idea is just stupid, who needs an antivirus that checks the FILENAME if you got real-time protection + virusscanner in msn messenger...

1. There are better ways
2. Get some free time

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 01:49 PM

TB is right, MSN Messenger already has an option to use a virusscanner.

Furthermore:
- You will need to add a HUGE lists of ALL the filenames of virusses to let it be somewhat """"usefull"""" (mind the quotes)
- Filenames are the 1 thing that are changed regulary.
- You CAN NOT identify a virus by the filename.
- The plugin needs to be updated very regulary.
- You will create a false trust/security-feeling!!!!

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Dane on 06-28-2004 at 01:48 AM

Eh...Poll shows otherwise.  But the Alerts clearly state that it is only POTENTIALLY a virus.  Furthermore, Most people dont rename viruses to spread them, especially viruses that generate there own files.  Plus, not many ppl know how/want to set up Instant Messenger protection.

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by CookieRevised on 06-28-2004 at 03:34 AM

tbh, the poll doesn't say a thing. Remember that many people don't know how these things realy work and even don't know that there is a feature in MSN already to scan files. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but if people knew better they wouldn't vote for it...

quote:
Plus, not many ppl know how/want to set up Instant Messenger protection.
And that is EXACTLY why people believe this will be a good plugin, while in fact it will give only a false feeling of protection!!!
quote:
especially viruses that generate there own files.
and in doing so they change there name....

I'm sorry, but for every single argument you make for this I can give you two arguments back....

PS: and this has nothing todo with you being eXoenDo, I would have said the exact same to anyone else suggesting this....
RE: AntiVirus Plugin by TheBlasphemer on 06-28-2004 at 11:38 AM

How can anyone dont know or want to set up IM protection?
Install Norton 2003 or 2004, and it'll do it automagically...

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Dane on 06-28-2004 at 02:45 PM

Theres where your wrong, TheBlasphemer.  Norton AntiVirus 2003 and 2004 give an even falser sense of protection.  Read the fine print, "Instant Messenger Protection: Windows and MSN messenger 4.x, AOL Instant Messenger 5.x, Yahoo! 5.x".  Users on MSN Messenger 6.x are not protected using the IM Scanner (although its pretty sad that Patchou can make Plus! work with 6.x and Symantec cant :P).

As for the "false sense of protection", I'm already working on a DAT file with EVERY KNOWN VIRUS FILENAME in it, where theres a question it'll be users choice, but yeah, the AntiVirus Plugin doesnt give a false sense of protection because the current viruses for MSN Messenger do not "mutate" or whatever they call it there file names, they remain the same unless a user renames them, but then when it spreads, it'll make it to like, 1 PC and then generate the old filename again because the core of the virus hasnt changed.  So yeah :P.

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by CookieRevised on 06-28-2004 at 03:20 PM

quote:
because the current viruses for MSN Messenger do not "mutate" or whatever they call it there file names, they remain the same unless a user renames them
There isn't such a thing as MSN Messenger virusses. Almost EVERY virus can be spread by MSN Messenger. And almost EVERY virus can attach itself to whatever (executable) file you send thru MSN... So you need a database of thousands virusses and all their different names, not to mention all the virusses that don't have a specific name....

Why is it so hard to understand that you CAN NOT identify a virus by filename alone?????

Whenever this plugin is going to be released (and I certainly hope NOT) I'll boycot it for sure and will strongly suggest to users NOT to use it, instead they need to learn how to use a proper virusscanner!!! sorry...
RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Dane on 06-28-2004 at 03:47 PM

Thats your choice, your DEFINATLY overreacting about this, if you dont wanna use it, then dont, others can make there own decision.  And I said specifically will stop MSN Messenger viruses, NOT all viruses.  Made only for MSN Messenger borne viruses. :), so please, Let others decide if they want to use it for themselves, just like I let others decide if they wanna use MSN Skins which I dont like, I surely dont tell them NOT to use them.

RE: RE: AntiVirus Plugin by TheBlasphemer on 06-28-2004 at 03:59 PM

quote:
Theres where your wrong, TheBlasphemer.  Norton AntiVirus 2003 and 2004 give an even falser sense of protection.  Read the fine print, "Instant Messenger Protection: Windows and MSN messenger 4.x, AOL Instant Messenger 5.x, Yahoo! 5.x".  Users on MSN Messenger 6.x are not protected using the IM Scanner (although its pretty sad that Patchou can make Plus! work with 6.x and Symantec cant :P).

As for the "false sense of protection", I'm already working on a DAT file with EVERY KNOWN VIRUS FILENAME in it, where theres a question it'll be users choice, but yeah, the AntiVirus Plugin doesnt give a false sense of protection because the current viruses for MSN Messenger do not "mutate" or whatever they call it there file names, they remain the same unless a user renames them, but then when it spreads, it'll make it to like, 1 PC and then generate the old filename again because the core of the virus hasnt changed.  So yeah :P.

Thats bullshit, it might say that, but it works fine with MSN6...
I went to check it, and under options and the tab messages I see it's set to scan incoming files with:
E:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\ccIMScan.exe
:refuck:

And I didnt do that manually btw
RE: AntiVirus Plugin by JtMoney on 06-28-2004 at 04:26 PM

I would use the plugin :D

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Dane on 06-28-2004 at 05:03 PM

;), NAV2004 scans file changes and alerts you of the scan in its little toast.  NAV2003 does not alert you.  What you saw was it scanning a "File change", which was really the file appearing, yes, it does do the job, but might I say mine does not always do that, im not sure if yours does, but yeah.

:), And thats also the reason that the installer will very clearly state..

quote:
The purpose of this plugin is to add advanced detection, this plugin is NOT designed to eliminate viruses.  This plugin will only detect filenames for MSN-Borne viruses, and will not detect filenames of other viruses or security threats.  The protection may not always be accurate, that is why with almost every detection our DAT for the engine is set to allow you to choose.

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Millenium_edition on 06-28-2004 at 05:30 PM

ever heard of "real-time-protection"?

if not, get a cave to hide in. sorry dude, but files are scanned when created, and virus definitions are updated automaticly. there goes your project *waves*

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by CookieRevised on 06-28-2004 at 06:44 PM

quote:
Thats your choice, your DEFINATLY overreacting about this, if you dont wanna use it, then dont, others can make there own decision.
That's my whole point ffs... Others (read: n00bs) don't know how these things work and THINK they are protected, while in fact they certainly are NOT protected... that's why I WILL NOT let the choice to the others, but will warn others that this plugin is useless... People need to learn to use their common sense and need to learn to use proper programs instead of blindly using some plugin that claims protection for virusses (MSN virusses or not)....

btw, "add advanced detection,"??????? Why are you always using some fancy words to describe things? advanced detection? My *beep*... it will only check for a filename, if you call that advanced, fine, but don't use those words for things like you wanna create when in fact they aren't advanced at all. Again, this has EVERYTHING todo with FALSE FEELING OF PROTECTION!

When a noob sees those words he thinks "wow, I'm going to install this wonderful magic thing, so I don't need anything else. Now I'm safe for virusses."... You can argue all you want about this, but this is how the real world works. And also, we all know that most people don't even read disclaimers, readme's, instructions, etc...

The basic idea was fine, but making this plugin in real is not!

And with all respect to the others, but look who voted on what options in the poll. I think that says something also......
RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Dane on 06-28-2004 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Thats your choice, your DEFINATLY overreacting about this, if you dont wanna use it, then dont, others can make there own decision.
That's my whole point ffs... Others (read: n00bs) don't know how these things work and THINK they are protected, while in fact they certainly are NOT protected... that's why I WILL NOT let the choice to the others, but will warn others that this plugin is useless... People need to learn to use their common sense and need to learn to use proper programs instead of blindly using some plugin that claims protection for virusses (MSN virusses or not)....

btw, "add advanced detection,"??????? Why are you always using some fancy words to describe things? advanced detection? My *beep*... it will only check for a filename, if you call that advanced, fine, but don't use those words for things like you wanna create when in fact they aren't advanced at all. Again, this has EVERYTHING todo with FALSE FEELING OF PROTECTION!

When a noob sees those words he thinks "wow, I'm going to install this wonderful magic thing, so I don't need anything else. Now I'm safe for virusses."... You can argue all you want about this, but this is how the real world works. And also, we all know that most people don't even read disclaimers, readme's, instructions, etc...

The basic idea was fine, but making this plugin in real is not!

And with all respect to the others, but look who voted on what options in the poll. I think that says something also......
What, just because they havent been here as long as you there votes dont count?

kk, Im not going to flame back & forth at you.  If this is your concern, for your happiness, When the plugin is run for the first time ill make it display a screen that they cannot accept unless it is read to the bottom and after a certain amount of time, that way (And make it remain on top), that way, they'll have no choice but to read the statement.  Again, its not COMPLETE protection, its SOME, a SLIGHT security blanket that warns you of POSSIBLY infected files, in no way is it meant as "Complete", "Full" or "Advanced" Detection of MSN Messenger borne viruses, despite earlier statements.

The plugin that is being worked on is for minimal protection and warnings only, will contain an updater, WILL NOT require purchase (like other AV products) and is meant ONLY to inform of POSSIBLE viruses.
RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Millenium_edition on 06-28-2004 at 08:16 PM

but... what's the point of having a plugin if you know all new pc's come with norton? why call it antivirus if it has NO functionality in blocking viruses... Because, really, all it does is blocking filenames...

Please, i beg you, don't release it, there will ALWAYS be people who think they're secured, always... Name it file blocker, that's good, but not antivirus

Hey, the poll shows the good example :) 10 vs 11 ;)

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by CookieRevised on 06-28-2004 at 09:07 PM

quote:
What, just because they havent been here as long as you there votes dont count?
That's not what I meant :dodgy:

You can't give ANY argument to me that convinces me of the usefullness (heck even safeness!) of this plugin. For me this case is closed... I'll boycot it... and that's MY right to do...

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by TheBlasphemer on 06-28-2004 at 10:21 PM

I'll join that boycot...

[edit]
Let's just say future versions of SPNG might have some "compatibility issues" with this plugin :refuck:
[/edit]

RE: AntiVirus Plugin by Johnny_Mac on 06-28-2004 at 10:34 PM

Yeah, okay. I've heard enough. Can we all STFU now? Thanks.

Dane can draw up an idea on whatever he likes, and get someone to program it for that matter. If you dont like it. Dont download it. Which, btw, it also your "right". :rolleyes: