Shoutbox

TechTalk moving - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: TechTalk moving (/showthread.php?tid=27776)

TechTalk moving by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 12:18 PM

This is a drastic suggestion though:

"TechTalk" is often not about Messenger, yet it is in the forum "Messenger & Technology".

So my suggestion is to move this subforum to the forum "General". It seems more logic to put it there....

RE: TechTalk moving by Choli on 06-27-2004 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
"TechTalk" is often not about Messenger, yet it is in the forum "Messenger & Technology".
I think it should be where it's now....
RE: TechTalk moving by Anubis on 06-27-2004 at 12:31 PM

Yeah, I agree with Chloi the forum is Messenger & Technology...Therefore it may be in a more of a mixed area but it is still in the right place, General is more of a chit chatty area to discuss mainly non-technical issues...

RE: TechTalk moving by toddy on 06-27-2004 at 12:41 PM

does it really matter where it is ? its still all on the same forum

RE: TechTalk moving by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 12:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Yeah, I agree with Chloi the forum is Messenger & Technology...Therefore it may be in a more of a mixed area but it is still in the right place, General is more of a chit chatty area to discuss mainly non-technical issues...
"Messenger & Technology" is logicaly interpreted as talk about Messenger and technology related to Messenger. That's my whole point.... "TechTalk" is almost NEVER about Messenger...

"TechTalk" is a general topic (you can't argue that :p) so it should be in "General"....
RE: TechTalk moving by Mippo on 06-27-2004 at 12:58 PM

I think it's just called Messenger & Technology because it has the MSN Messenger and the Tech Talk forums in it, not because it's about Technology with Messenger... :S

RE: TechTalk moving by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 01:04 PM

yes, I think that too, but like I said, the name is not choosen well IMO

Even if the name was a bit better, Techtalk is still general and has nothing todo with Messenger, so it should be in "General" :XP:

RE: TechTalk moving by Mippo on 06-27-2004 at 01:12 PM

quote:
yes, I think that too, but like I said, the name is not choosen well IMO

Even if the name was a bit better, Techtalk is still general and has nothing todo with Messenger, so it should be in "General" :XP:
That would mean that there's a subforum with only 1 forum in it... would be a bit strange :P

Just leave it :banana:

RE: TechTalk moving by Maddie on 06-27-2004 at 01:24 PM

i agree with Choli and Anubis.
u only have to see the sub-headings for each forum to know that one is related to messenger and the other related to computer or other technology.

MSN/Windows Messenger
General stuff about the MSN/Windows Messenger program itself.

Tech Talk
Anything related to computing or technology.

if the category name was Messenger Technology, i would say it should be moved.
i think it is ok where it is because i don't see tech talk as "general chat" and if u look at both messenger and tech talk forums, they are the only 2 that don't fit in anywhere else IMO. :P

RE: TechTalk moving by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 01:38 PM

You all missing the point tbh...

!!!!!!
We HAVE a forum called "general". Since TechTalk IS general and not Messenger related and we have a "general" forum, it is not logic to combine those two ("Messenger" and "TechTalk") together in 1 forum....
!!!!!!

If we hadn't "General" then fine. But since we do....

About Messenger only having 1 subforum then. So be it.... There could be others added though, like bug reports for Messenger for example, or a section about addons for Messenger (all these are in "Windows/MSN Messenger" right now)...

I'm talking about pure logic, nothing more.... If you had to write a book with all the sections that this forum had and you didn't know about this forum you would never put TechTalk and Messenger in the same catagory...

Another way of viewing it: This whole forum is about Messenger Plus! and the related Messenger program. Other then that it has some general forums to keep people occupied if you like, Techtalk is one of them...

Another way of viewing it: If there was a new forum added called "Programming" (like many suggested before) it wouldn't be put in "Messenger & Technology", but in "General" as this is also a general topic...

RE: TechTalk moving by toddy on 06-27-2004 at 01:49 PM

why does it matter so much where it is ?

RE: TechTalk moving by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 01:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
Because I care.... :rolleyes:
RE: TechTalk moving by toddy on 06-27-2004 at 02:01 PM

quote:
quote:
Because I care.... :rolleyes:
well it seems rather silly making so much fuss about nothing
RE: TechTalk moving by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 02:13 PM

ffs, I didn't make all the fuss, I only made 1 post in suggesting this, it's the other people replying with "does it really matter" who are being silly and spamming.... Obviously it matters to me, otherwise I wouldn't make the suggestion... Replies with WHY it is/isn't in the right place are decent replies, others don't bring anything usefull and thus are just silly spam.

RE: TechTalk moving by GiantSpider on 06-27-2004 at 02:49 PM

Quite honestly I don't think it matters but the category Messenger & Technology logicly splits into two forums. One about MSN Messenger and one about Technology. I don't see anything that implies the technology is Messenger related. Also I think the General category is for non-computing disscussions. A chance to get back to the real world........

RE: TechTalk moving by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 02:50 PM

I understand what you are saying, but if it is non-computing then "Forum & Website" and some threads in "General Chit Chat" don't belong there...

There still isn't any logic explaination why "TechTalk" is where it is... It proberly was put there in the time that "General" isn't what it is now and it proberly couldn't be placed somewhere else. But times change....

It is something that many users wont notice, or don't care about, or are so used to it that they don't think about it. But this doesn't mean it can't be changed, and where it is now it remains unlogic...

I wanted to make this suggestion a long time ago, and it would've been great if I suggested it before the skin change and all (so it could be included in the update), but anyways, I didn't wanted to wait further and just wanted this out of off my chest (thx GiantSpider :p)

RE: TechTalk moving by GiantSpider on 06-27-2004 at 02:59 PM

Well if the category was Non-support forums then that would justifiy some of the threads in General Chit Chat and Forum & Website. But I can't understand why you can't see Tech Talk in Messenger and Technology.

EDIT: The saying is "Off my chest"

RE: TechTalk moving by Johnny_Mac on 06-27-2004 at 02:59 PM

Heh... All this effort cookie. :P

I neither agree or disagree with the whole 'argument' however surely instead of moving the forum just renaming that section would be far more appropriate.

Any suggestions?

quote:
well it seems rather silly making some much fuss about nothing
By all means give your opinion about the idea, but if you disagree with it say so and leave it at that. Don't go on about how its a fuss.

Thats goes to everyone. :P

RE: TechTalk moving by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 03:16 PM

tbh, I dunno about a proper title other then the current one... :$
Or maybe...
"General" => but it already exists
"General Technology" => seems more appropiate, but will loose some meaning concearning Messenger...

RE: TechTalk moving by Johnny_Mac on 06-27-2004 at 03:18 PM

"Communication & other Technology"

Hmm.. I dunno. :^)

RE: TechTalk moving by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 03:22 PM

hmmm, maybe, then you could add more things if appropiate and the requests are there

General Technology
              MSN/Windows Messenger
              Microsoft Windows
              Programming
              General Tech Talk
           General
              Forum & Website
              General Chit Chat
              Testing & Trashing

otherwise

Messenger
             MSN/Windows Messenger
             Bug Reports
           General
             Forum & Website
             Tech Talk
             General Chit Chat
             Testing & Trashing

just wild thoughts

RE: TechTalk moving by Johnny_Mac on 06-27-2004 at 03:28 PM

quote:
then you could add more things if appropiate and the requests are there
O_o

They are wild thoughts, something thats been discussed privately before. ATM I think the idea is dorment. So I dunno what may come of it. :^)
RE: TechTalk moving by Patchou on 06-27-2004 at 03:57 PM

Well, some real change couldnt hurt, and I still wish to see more sections where people could talk about other thigns than Messenger... after all, Messenger itself is a software that allows you to talk about other subjects. There's no point spending too much time talking about a software that lets you talk with people. Anyone follows me on this one? :)

RE: TechTalk moving by KeyStorm on 06-27-2004 at 04:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Anyone follows me on this one?

yes, I spend much time in here and it would be great to be able to talk about other things.(Y)
RE: TechTalk moving by Wabz on 06-27-2004 at 06:17 PM

I personally think the Cookies sugguestion makes a lot of sense.

Patchous comment also makes a great deal of sense.  I think we could manage to have a  couple new forums.  Like a Media forum, and perhaps a Music forum. 

The idea of new forums may persuade people to stay and become more regular.  I know myself finds it quite hard to keep to the boards a lot of the time now.  A few new forums may inspire a lot more members to stick around and some older ones to return. 

Well I think the important thing would be too get WDZ's opinion, and get things rolling.  I like change!! 

RE: TechTalk moving by Johnny_Mac on 06-27-2004 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
Patchous comment also makes a great deal of sense.  I think we could manage to have a  couple new forums.  Like a Media forum, and perhaps a Music forum. 
This is all great, but I see media and music threads in general chit chat once in a while. Thus wouldnt we have more inactive forums with the posts just spread about?
RE: TechTalk moving by GiantSpider on 06-27-2004 at 06:49 PM

Maybe people would post about them if they had a forum. Instead of wondering whether it would moved to T&T

RE: TechTalk moving by RebelSean on 06-27-2004 at 06:50 PM

I agree with cookies suggestion also!...I just wanna say that as wabz said I would like a music forum :D

RE: TechTalk moving by fluffy_lobster on 06-27-2004 at 07:07 PM

What a pointless discussion :|

Messenger and Tech Talk are in the same category simply because they fit together nicely and don't fit in any other categories.  Maybe you could call it "Technology" or something if we're being pedantic. 

With thought to the addition of new forums, the fact is, the current forum setup doesn't have any over-burdened forums but doesn't restrict conversation because of the lack of a relevant forum.  I certainly don't think there's any point in adding forums just because they fit in a certain category arrangement, if nobody will use them much.  Like... what's with the suggestion of a Bug Reports forum for messenger? :-/

If there is to be a forum addition may i suggest a current affairs-type forum? such forums exist on other sites and they work quite well.  i reckon that would start some interesting conversations at least...

RE: TechTalk moving by Johnny_Mac on 06-27-2004 at 07:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
Maybe people would post about them if they had a forum. Instead of wondering whether it would moved to T&T
:lol:

What has that got to do with it? If the threads moved to T&T it doesnt matter where its posted, it is, and still will be moved to T&T. :rolleyes:

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
With thought to the addition of new forums, the fact is, the current forum setup doesn't have any over-burdened forums but doesn't restrict conversation because of the lack of a relevant forum.
I agree, if someone wants to talk about Music, there is a place to do it already. Because a forum called "Music" doesnt exist, it doesnt mean people dont/cant talk about it. :undecided:
RE: TechTalk moving by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 08:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Anyone follows me on this one?
A bit yeah. But like others have said also, adding a new forum requires a demand (like "programming"). Although it could be the otherway around also. But it is more tricky not to end up with an "empty" forum in that way....

IF there is a new forum added, I personaly think it should be "Programming", as this is the one topic that comes back regulary.... But maybe that is another (old) discussion.
quote:
Messenger and Tech Talk are in the same category simply because they fit together nicely and don't fit in any other categories.  Maybe you could call it "Technology" or something if we're being pedantic. 
They don't fit together if you follow my reasoning. And the reason of "they don't fit anywhere else, so let's put them together" isn't a very good reason IMHO.

They didn't fit anywhere in the past maybe, but reading all the threads in TechTalk makes me think that TechTalk is one big general forum about everything (hence general) that has to with Tech-stuff...

Messenger is also tech-stuff (in that way they fit together, yes, true), but it is something very specific and thus doesn't belong to something "General". So there is the big difference that I wanted to note about... they don't fit together....

If you make the difference between "General"-forum and "Messenger & Technology"-forum being: one is tech/computing related, the others not, then "Forum & Website" and some topics in "General Chit Chat", etc... are also misplaced, so that doesn't work also.

So, I still come back to the one (and IMHO only) solution of moving the subforum "TechTalk" to the "General" section....

quote:
Like... what's with the suggestion of a Bug Reports forum for messenger?
That was just a wild example that you could add more subforums about Messenger itself... (and there were/are bug reports about Messenger itself btw)

RE: TechTalk moving by saralk on 06-27-2004 at 09:34 PM

quote:
          General Technology
              MSN/Windows Messenger
              Microsoft Windows
              Programming
              General Tech Talk
           General
              Forum & Website
              General Chit Chat
              Testing & Trashing

I think that would increase server load, which is not wot we want.

Also there is no point moving forums, it would look stupid if there was only one topic forum in a category.
RE: TechTalk moving by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 10:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
That doesn't make any sense...
quote:
Also there is no point moving forums, it would look stupid if there was only one topic forum in a category.
No it would not look stupid! It will look like there is only 1 subforum in a forum, nothing wrong in that...

RE: TechTalk moving by Johnny_Mac on 06-27-2004 at 11:37 PM

Okay okay, enough! :P

More then enough points have been made, WDZ will decide when he reads this and discussion will be made after about new forums and stuff.

RE: TechTalk moving by WDZ on 06-28-2004 at 05:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mippo
I think it's just called Messenger & Technology because it has the MSN Messenger and the Tech Talk forums in it, not because it's about Technology with Messenger... :S
Exactly. :p

I think those forums go well together. The "General" category is like the "fun" and off-topic part of the forums, while the others are for more serious technical stuff. Also, if Tech Talk was moved, Messenger would be all alone in it's own category, thus kinda defeating the purpose of a category. :-/

Edit: I'm not replying to the whole thread right now, because I don't have time... I'll be back though. :p
RE: TechTalk moving by saralk on 06-28-2004 at 04:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I think those forums go well together. The "General" category is like the "fun" and off-topic part of the forums

if that is the case, maybe you should move this forum to the top category and rename announcments, as i dont think this is an off topic and fun forum

quote:
quote:
That doesn't make any sense...

I would of thaught that having more forums on the front page would increase the amount of sql queries being made on the front page, and therefore increase the server load. I dont know how myBB is coded, but that is what i would think. (i was talking with regard to your suggested layout:

General Technology
              MSN/Windows Messenger
              Microsoft Windows
              Programming
              General Tech Talk
           General
              Forum & Website
              General Chit Chat
              Testing & Trashing

its adding an extra two forums
RE: TechTalk moving by CookieRevised on 06-28-2004 at 06:58 PM

If you read my post (and the others) again you proberly see that it was only to make an example, nothing more... Furthermore, my first request was to move TechTalk, this doesn't do a single thing on the serverload...

RE: TechTalk moving by WDZ on 06-28-2004 at 07:14 PM

quote:
if that is the case, maybe you should move this forum to the top category and rename announcments, as i dont think this is an off topic and fun forum
This forum isn't important enough to be at the top. :p

quote:
I would of thaught that having more forums on the front page would increase the amount of sql queries being made on the front page
Well, you're wrong. ;)