Shoutbox

Trojan Virus Came With Download - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Trojan Virus Came With Download (/showthread.php?tid=27794)

Trojan Virus Came With Download by Shakti on 06-27-2004 at 11:02 PM

Just downloaded Messenger Plus from the download page.  Running Windows XP on Office Computer and running Messenger Version 6.2

Within moments of download Trojan Virus alert popped up.  The virus is contained within the pop-ups and toolbars that come with M-Plus.

I have deleted MSN Plus and won't be remotely interested in using it unless the virus that comes with it is removed from the download page.

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 11:11 PM

There is NO trojan in Messenger Plus! and also not on the website...

What you virusscanner is detecting is the inactive sponsor program inside the setup of Messenger Plus!....

So, forgive me for saying this, but use a proper and decent virusscanner, not something free you find on the web like AVG....

But anyways, the sponsor it harmless and wont do a thing. It will NOT be installed if you don't want to.

The sponsor is a very stripped down and customize package from C2Media. The sponsor isn't spyware, trojan or any kind of virus. It is however adware, but nothing more then that! It adds a searchbar to your MSIE browser and will change your default homepage...

If you do not want this sponsor installed then simply don't choose to install it at the sponsor-agreement screen.

[Image: mp3_sponsoroption.png]

If you accidently installed the sponsor, then don't attempt to remove it with programs like ad-aware, Spybot search and destroy, etc... as these programs will NOT reconize the installed components of the sponsor, they will even cripple the uninstalling routine of Plus! AND the optional sponsor.

So in order to remove the accidently installed sponsor, simply uninstall Plus! and check the option to uninstall the sponsor. After that follow the instructions presented at that time...

For more detailed info about uninstalling see: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598

More detailed talk about the sponsor:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=170076#post170076
http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8543&#45396
http://www.mess.be/msnmessengerfaq/idx/15/054/Mes...essenger_Plus.html

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by MC Inferno on 06-27-2004 at 11:14 PM

If you have installed the sponsor, Uninstall Msg. Plus! and Install it again without the sponsor (Y)

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by Shakti on 06-27-2004 at 11:21 PM

Well excuse me but you're wrong.

The Trojan Virus that came with the download is called HTML.Reality.D and it is not a free virus scan that picked it up.

My computer runs InoculateIT Virus Scan - it is a work computer and immediately detected the virus the moment Messenger Plus was downloaded and installed.

The virus was detected immediately and deleted.

The reason I've brought it to the attention of this forum is because it came with the Messenger Plus Download from the download page.

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by CookieRevised on 06-27-2004 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shakti
the moment Messenger Plus was downloaded and installed.
I bet for $1000 that it was another false and wrong report from a virusscanner when you installed the sponsor (which you can choose NOT to install!)

There is NO trojan on the downloadpage or download itself!!!
See my previous post and also take the time to read the provides links please...

Scan the (unmodified) downloaded file with any other quality virusscanner and you will find nothing!

BTW, InoculateIT Virusscanner IS a free virusscanner and isn't mentioned in ANY of the quality-scanner-lists. Furthermore, development of InoculateIT has ceased and new virus definitions are no longer available. (taken from various sites around the net)
RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by .blade// on 06-28-2004 at 02:43 AM

Hahaha, there have been SOOOO many threads about things like this. The point is, don't try to keep your PC protected with a third-rate "free" anti-virus program, spend the $30 to buy a decent commercial one like NAV or MCFE

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by Patchou on 06-30-2004 at 12:35 AM

That's so true.

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by sparksalot on 06-30-2004 at 08:53 PM

This is abouta trojan that i got in something but not in Plus! but thought i better put it anyway. On www.mess.be is a program called CE/DP STEALER. I used  it for abput a year and then one day my virus scnaneer (norton) popped up and said it was a trojan. 1) Why did it take a year to find? 2) It never did anything to my system. Still i removed it. Just thought many people may download this so I should put it up.

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by toddy on 06-30-2004 at 09:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sparksalot
This is abouta trojan that i got in something but not in Plus! but thought i better put it anyway. On www.mess.be is a program called CE/DP STEALER. I used  it for abput a year and then one day my virus scnaneer (norton) popped up and said it was a trojan. 1) Why did it take a year to find? 2) It never did anything to my system. Still i removed it. Just thought many people may download this so I should put it up.

the details are on mess.be about that program and why it think it is a trojan

[edit]
"We did however get a lot of reports lately regarding CE/DP Stealer. Norton Antivirus (and ONLY Norton) has classified this addon as a Trojan Horse, so if you have NAV installed it will trigger a virus alert. But we do have all reason to believe this is not the case. Sherv, the programmer himself, assured us: "There is 200% no trojan in CE/DP Stealer 1.4.5, there is no msbb.exe or any DLL by that name, there is no adware, absolutely NOTHING but the program".

Maybe it was just the unluckily chosen name which reminded Norton of the dreadful password "stealers" for MSN Messenger. Maybe it exploits our privacy by stealing images from everyone (and their contracts) using the same PC for chatting. Maybe it reads cached user information Microsoft doesn't want to be found. Maybe it violates copyright laws by stealing a display picture "artistically created" by an individual. These are all speculations, but after the investigation I decided to re-enabled the download again. Just don't freak out when your get a virus alert on Norton ;)" (from mess.be)
RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by nyzrox on 07-27-2004 at 11:05 PM

Hey bro ive had plus for a few years never got a 'Trojan, Worm or Virus' from this software nor did i install the sponsor get your self some desent anti virus software, i recomend soft whcih i use
F-Secure Anti-Virus 5.41 Build 8490

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by Dane on 07-27-2004 at 11:30 PM

Norton AntiVirus detects the sponsor as a threat ONCE ITS EXTRACTED, if you choose to install it.  If you dont install it, no threat regarding Plus! in any manner is detected.

Anywayz, As others have said, spend the $30.00 on a REAL AntiVirus.

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by nyzrox on 07-28-2004 at 12:27 PM

why does pathou put that sponsor in his installer tho it sucks, spy ware is shit that what comes in the installer is worse then gator ffs :S(N)

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by toddy on 07-28-2004 at 12:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nyzrox
why does pathou put that sponsor in his installer tho it sucks, spy ware is shit that what comes in the installer is worse then gator ffs :S(N)

because the sponsor program pays patchou, and as you can imagine creating a program as good as messenger plus takes a lot of time and there is a lot of costs to pay, and patchou wants the program to be free so he has decided that to pay the costs he has a sponsor program.

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by Tochjo on 07-28-2004 at 12:57 PM

quote:
spy ware is shit
I agree. The sponsor program is not spyware, though.
quote:
that what comes in the installer is worse then gator ffs
I must say I don't know Gator, but have you read what the sponsor program does? The main thing is that it adds a toolbar in Internet Explorer, adds some favourites and changes your homepage. Read the license agreement for more detailed information.

I don't know what Gator does, but I doubt it's less than the sponsor program.
RE: RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by ZrednaZ on 07-28-2004 at 02:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
...The sponsor isn't spyware, trojan or any kind of virus. It is however adware, but nothing more then that!

Are you absolutely certain? Because some of the things stated in the License Agreement honestly make you wonder.

Let me quote:

"Software is installed and information related to such change, including but not limited to the web address (URL), for the new home page, search page and default error page will be sent to C2's servers or third party servers."

C2 provides you with the software product known as lop.com (the "Software") free of charge or at a reduced cost in exchange for your agreement to accept advertising and other promotional messages delivered by C2 and third parties to your computer based in part on the keywords in the websites that you or any user of the computer visits. The additional content may include advertisements, promotions, links to third party websites or other materials delivered to your computer that match your interests, based in part on keywords found in the websites that you visit.  Your interests are matched to the additional content based on keywords collected from the websites you visit.  The keywords are provided to C2's servers or third party servers, which deliver the selected additional content to your computer in response to the keywords

Can this not, at least remotely, be classified as spying on people??

Anyway, read on:

INFORMATION C2 COLLECTS INCLUDES:
• Standard web log information and computer settings such as your Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, operating system, CPU speed, browser type and version, screen resolution, time zone selected and the version numbers of some of the software installed on your computer.
• Information about your current web browser home page and search page settings -- this information includes the URL of your home page, default auto search page, and error pages, and how and when you selected a particular website as your home page, search page, or error page...
• Your Software ID is a numeric identifier that is generated by the Software and the Time and Date that you accepted this Agreement and Privacy Policy...
• Information provided to any C2 employees, contractors, or technical support members may be stored on C2 servers in archives of C2's support and customer service department, but such information will not be associated with the information collected or stored in association with your Software ID that may be provided to third parties or the provision of additional content.
• While you are browsing C2 Media owned web sites, as is true of most Web sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data (links you click on the page).

:^)
RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by Tochjo on 07-28-2004 at 02:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
Are you absolutely certain? Because some of the things stated in the License Agreement honestly make you wonder.

Let me quote Patchou's reply to Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates:
quote:
Well, it's true that modern advertisement programs tend to display their content based on your interests. I have no insights on how things really work, my opinion on this subject is as good as any other, but I would tend to think that you should take this analyse in the positive way: they do that to target their users. Thsi is a way to prevent tons of popups to appear on your screen for products you don't care about. The different with a spyware is that a spyware would send your information in a server, along with some other personal information (like your email), and that is definitively NOT done by my sponsor.

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by ZrednaZ on 07-28-2004 at 02:50 PM

That statement's not entirely true as they do collect your IP address which certainly can help to identify you...^o)

RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by CookieRevised on 07-28-2004 at 09:14 PM

No, the sponsor isn't spyware, and the license also says that.
Spyware is, as Patchou said, far more "agressive" and sends information to servers. Adware also collects info, but this is done by cookies and stuff, in other words local, no valuable info is send to servers.

quote:
By saying that I see that you clearly don't know what Gator does or is, or what the Plus! sponsor does. Gator is far worse then the stripped down sponsor that comes with Plus!....
RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download by nyzrox on 07-28-2004 at 09:20 PM

i had gator once and that sponser i hated the sponser could never get rid of it