Shoutbox

mp3 music - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: mp3 music (/showthread.php?tid=27809)

mp3 music by MetalBlade on 06-28-2004 at 05:58 AM

Hey guys. I was just thinking around for a new, controversial thread that will undoubtedly bring the world to its knees, and I think I've struck it. What's all your opinions on the whole 'downloading of mp3' versus 'actually going out to the shops and buying the music' issue? I imagine a lot of you use Kazaa and all that, and I myself am against the idea of free downloads of music, because it robs collective artists of billions of dollars every year. What do you guys think?

RE: mp3 music by Garndell on 06-28-2004 at 06:59 AM

I only download what I like the sound of, the fact I download from original bought CD's doesn't enter it.  As a UK resident it is illegal to even RIP your own CD's for PERSONAL use.

I have a MP3 player (not an iPod due to my hatred of that brand) and how am I supposed to get MY MUSIC onto it other than to RIP it or download it off the net.  Screw the legality of it Is ay, I paid for it I should be able to RIP it so I can use it on my MP3 player.

I have downloaded songs before, but I 90% of the time go out and buy a CD it is on (Car has a CD Player & parties need CD's) so that should not be a crime.

Just my 2 pennies worth ;)

RE: mp3 music by Pyroteq on 06-28-2004 at 07:37 AM

Whys a song worth 99c? Artists hardly make a profit anyway. Download Korn- Y'all want a single (the video clip) and you'll see some facts.
I download single songs (not albums or dvds e.t.c) because i like that one song, singles are a rip off $5 for one song you will listen to and two or three remixes that you wont, and for $3, you can buy a top quality cd with a case to burn as many songs as u want.

I buy an album when i like the whole, or most of it. when they stop making an album with 3 good tracks and 15 tracks of S*it i'll buy it. Not saying i dont buy CD's because i have two 80-stackers next to my desk, full of audio cd's and a few computer cds. id say 60% of the time i buy the cd.

RE: mp3 music by Wabz on 06-29-2004 at 09:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
it is illegal to even RIP your own CD's for PERSONAL use.

Now I always got told you were allowed to make a copy of your disks.  As long as it is for your own personal use.

As for downloading music, why not?  I wouldn't have bought half the albums I have if I didnt download music!  TBH I wouldnt be as interested in Hip Hop if it wasnt for Kazaa Napster and Ftp sites. 

Music downloads is beneficial to some of us as long as you dont abuse it.  I have over 1000 Mp3's but I have nearly 200 CDs most of which have the same songs on.  i just bought the albums because I liked the sound of a particular artist or album

RE: mp3 music by Vazza on 06-29-2004 at 11:05 AM

quote:
it is illegal to even RIP your own CD's for PERSONAL use.
quote:
Originally posted by Wabz

Now I always got told you were allowed to make a copy of your disks.  As long as it is for your own personal use.

Yeah, thats right. you can make a copy as long as you don't use the two CDs at the same time.

As for downloading music, I sit on the fence. I mean, if you go abroad on holiday and you hear one song from a singer/band that you've never heard of before, that you really like then come back home, and you want to hear more, then yeah, you probably will download to hear more of their stuff because thats probably the only way to do it. Also, you may not be able to get the CD in your home country except throught a website like Amazon. However there was a song, XTM - Fly on the Wings of Love, which was only released on CD because so many people were downloading it from the net. So as far as I am concern it can be both a good and bad thing.

RE: mp3 music by CookieRevised on 06-29-2004 at 11:14 AM

This has been discussed so many times before (and the world still exists... hehehe...).... search the forums ;)

RE: mp3 music by Nitemistress on 07-02-2004 at 05:05 PM

I was just in fact reading this and you may or may not be interested but it might clear up the issue from the Canadian stand point anyway.

Canadian Ruling made June 30

RE: mp3 music by user27089 on 07-02-2004 at 05:32 PM

lol, i do it all the time ;) in fact i've downloaded at least 200 songs since march..

RE: mp3 music by Edu115 on 07-02-2004 at 08:10 PM

i don't buy cds, i just download them on the web.. and so what?

RE: mp3 music by sim1 on 07-02-2004 at 09:12 PM

what i usually do:

i go download some songs from a cd and evaluate them

if i see that it worth that i buy the cd so ill go and buy at the shop...

RE: mp3 music by toddy on 07-02-2004 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sim1
what i usually do:

i go download some songs from a cd and evaluate them

if i see that it worth that i buy the cd so ill go and buy at the shop
what is the point in that ? u already have the song
RE: mp3 music by Tochjo on 07-02-2004 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
what is the point in that ?
When you buy the song, money goes to the artist...
RE: mp3 music by bmtaylor on 07-02-2004 at 10:27 PM

I've got a supply of almost 3,000 mp3 files of which approx half of them have come from my own collection of bought CD's.

The others are albums that are out of print or extremely hard to find, and as a result the prices for said albums is through the roof (sometimes up to 10 times the price of the original sticker price).

RE: mp3 music by CookieRevised on 07-02-2004 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
what is the point in that ?
When you buy the song, money goes to the artist...
And most often the quality of the song on CD is heaps better then the downoaded song. And also, you are certain you have the complete original song....
RE: mp3 music by toddy on 07-02-2004 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And most often the quality of the song on CD is heaps better then the downoaded song. And also, you are certain you have the complete original song....
but you are also certain that you are getting ripped off, paying so much for something that costs next to nothing to make

RE: mp3 music by CookieRevised on 07-02-2004 at 10:44 PM

by saying that you clearly show that you don't get what it is all about and don't have a clue about how much it "costs"/takes for the artists to do their stuff....

IMO, very sad if that is your opinion ...

I hope you will think a bit different when you are a bit older, have a job, etc.... I'm sorry, this may sound like "daddy is speaking", but it is the truth....

RE: mp3 music by toddy on 07-02-2004 at 10:46 PM

all rite then, i don't understand "what it is all about"

RE: mp3 music by Dane on 07-02-2004 at 10:46 PM

Both good views.

I download like, 1-4 songs from an album, if I like at least 2 of them, I purchase the CD usually.  If I dont, I just keep the songs I like.

RE: mp3 music by dotNorma on 07-03-2004 at 12:17 AM

I download songs myself.

If I truelly like all the songs that come from the artist I will buy the CD (Like Weezer)

But if I only like 1 or 2 songs from the artist I will just download them.

RE: mp3 music by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 12:37 AM

quote:
"costs"/takes for the artists to do their stuff...
if it costs them so much money, why do they only get 12% of the money for the cd ? so that means 88% is going somewhere else. there will be a few other little things like the cost of cd and the price of recording it. but that doesn't add up to 88% of the cost of the cd. so until the price of cds comes down and people stop adding so much profit onto the product. i will not go out and buy music.

quote:
I hope you will think a bit different when you are a bit older, have a job
i have a job thank you, so yes i do have the money to buy the products, but in my mind this backs up my point of view more. why should i go out n work, to get some hard earned money, to then have someone make loads of profit when i spend my money to buy a cd.

if all the money when to the artist, minus the cost of the cd n recording the song. i would go out and buy the cd, coz then i kno the money is off to the artist, who as you have said works hard to produce the song.
RE: mp3 music by surfichris on 07-03-2004 at 01:19 AM

I'll download music, and then most of the time I will actually go out and buy the CD for the better quality version. This is the same for a lot of users and i'm sure if the RIAA looked at the statistics they would know that since the introduction of P2P sharing programs such as Kazaa that the record sales have been the highest in a long time.

Going by the idea that it is illegal to rip your own cd's depends on your own country's laws. I know here in Australia it is illegal, which also means there is NO point for MP3 players such as the IPOD. It is also still illegal in Australia to record television shows with a VCR. I quote from PCAuthority (Au July Edition):

quote:
Leaving aside the debate on whether its 'right' or 'wrong', it is illegal to rip your CD collection to any digital format for any reason in Australia under the 1968 Copyright Act without first obtaining the copyright owner's permission.

Copyright law in the United States differs significantly from Australia in that many "domestic copying" activities which are legal in the United States are illegal in Australia..... they (Australians) may be under the mistaken belief that private non-commercial copying which is legal for an American is legal for an Australian.

Using your VCR to record a movie on TV tonight and watch it tomorrow night doesn't require a second thought. Except in Australia, doing that is illegal.

.. In Australia, due to the overly and unfairly restrictive "fair dealing" rights granted by the Copyright act, there are practically no legal uses for an MP3 player.

Article (c) 2004, PC Authority

Interesting, huh? :P
RE: mp3 music by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 01:25 AM

has anyone been arrested for recording a tv program ???

RE: mp3 music by surfichris on 07-03-2004 at 01:54 AM

No, dont think so... It just happens so much the law has degraded and no one really pays any attention to it.

RE: mp3 music by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 01:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
No, dont think so... It just happens so much the law has degraded and no one really pays any attention to it.
oh so people do record then, coz my next question was gonna be, do shops sell blank video's ? as there would be not much use to them if u couldn't record tv
RE: mp3 music by ddunk on 07-03-2004 at 03:23 AM

quote:
quote:
oh so people do record then, coz my next question was gonna be, do shops sell blank video's ? as there would be not much use to them if u couldn't record tv

What about camcorders? Most still use the tapes so they could still be making a profit off of them.

RE: RE: mp3 music by Garndell on 07-03-2004 at 05:17 AM

quote:
I'll download music, and then most of the time I will actually go out and buy the CD for the better quality version. This is the same for a lot of users and i'm sure if the RIAA looked at the statistics they would know that since the introduction of P2P sharing programs such as Kazaa that the record sales have been the highest in a long time.

Going by the idea that it is illegal to rip your own cd's depends on your own country's laws. I know here in Australia it is illegal, which also means there is NO point for MP3 players such as the IPOD. It is also still illegal in Australia to record television shows with a VCR. I quote from PCAuthority (Au July Edition):
quote:
Leaving aside the debate on whether its 'right' or 'wrong', it is illegal to rip your CD collection to any digital format for any reason in Australia under the 1968 Copyright Act without first obtaining the copyright owner's permission.

Copyright law in the United States differs significantly from Australia in that many "domestic copying" activities which are legal in the United States are illegal in Australia..... they (Australians) may be under the mistaken belief that private non-commercial copying which is legal for an American is legal for an Australian.

Using your VCR to record a movie on TV tonight and watch it tomorrow night doesn't require a second thought. Except in Australia, doing that is illegal.

.. In Australia, due to the overly and unfairly restrictive "fair dealing" rights granted by the Copyright act, there are practically no legal uses for an MP3 player.

Article (c) 2004, PC Authority

Interesting, huh? :P

Although with the IPod (overpriced I say) you got the Apple Music Download service where you pay like 99cents or something for 1 song.  There are several approaching launch in the UK (I think) but why should ppl pay 2 times for the same song?

Interesting thing Laws.  True story.  A student at Oxford University while taking final exams stopped halfway through & asked for a glass of Port.  They checked the rules and he IS allowed a glass of Port mid exam.  When he handed in his paper at the end the examiner ripped it up saying he wasn't wearing his sword.

Moral of the story:  Just because you got past 1 Law doesn't mean there aren't more, hidden Laws you don't know about.

Not being able to record TV, that's a bit of bummer ain't it.
RE: mp3 music by CookieRevised on 07-03-2004 at 09:02 AM

quote:
if all the money when to the artist, minus the cost of the cd n recording the song. i would go out and buy the cd, coz then i kno the money is off to the artist, who as you have said works hard to produce the song.
And where would you buy your CD if the production houses, music labels, and stores wont get money, in other words, will not spread and sell the CD because they don't get enough money in profit to do so??????

And also, so you would be pleased with a raw, unprinted CD, without a box and without any booklet etc.? because that costs money also, and the printing services wont do it for free....

And all the money, minus the other costs, goes to the artist. If you wont buy CD's, but rather bluntly download them (because you think they are too expensive), you steal even more money from the artists. So, if you're so concearned about the artists, and don't wanna give money to other people, then don't download songs and don't buy CD's. In that way, you wont loose money and the artist wont loose money....

An artist makes songs. He want to share it with other people. Of course the artist doesn't have the means to spread his songs on CD and to make an actractive cover, booklet, etc... so he contracts a dealer for his services, a printer to make the booklets, etc... Of course that costs money, and of course you are gonna pay for it....

If you make a program (which will take you 12 monts to program) and you want to share it but you don't have internet, you will need to contract someone to spread it for you. This all costs money too and you, of course, expect that people will pay for it instead of downloading it from an warez site...

Or, so you have job.... I'm certain that the product you're making costs more then your monthly paycheck. Why? Because there are other things involved then only "making" the product......

It is all the same........

If you want to have something, you expect it to get it free or for a little bit of money while if someone else wants something from you you want to be payed for it???? Talking of double standards and hypocritical.......................

Please, don't give me this oh so typical comments: "if all the money goes to the artist".... "if they just didn't make it so expensive"...  "the law says this and that".... etc... etc...

Those arguments are rubbish and shows that you don't know how things work. And the fact remains that in 90% of all the countries, downloading songs instead of buying CD's is stealing, no matter what argument you give or whatever you call it....

You can discuss this until eternity, it still will be stealing if you simply download songs without buying the CD........
RE: mp3 music by user27089 on 07-03-2004 at 09:05 AM

what i don't see, is how ppl can sit at the back of a cinema, with a tripod and a camcorder, record films, and not get caught!! outrageous

i still buy the pirates though :)

RE: mp3 music by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 01:17 PM

quote:
it still will be stealing if you simply download songs without buying the CD
alrite then i steal
RE: mp3 music by Anubis on 07-03-2004 at 02:45 PM

I have a Thomson mp3 player that I bought legally in the UK with software to rip CD's included, so I don't really care whether ripping my CDs is legal because its not my job to research information such as that when I can buy the ability to do so in any UK Argos store...They imply it is legal and should not sell goods with no evidence that it is illegal...
The P2P music debate is identical to the taping of music from the radio decades ago, eventually it will dissipate and be regarded as a publicity outlet for music...

RE: mp3 music by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
I don't really care whether ripping my CDs is legal
it is legal to rip cd's aslong as there are for private use and you are not selling them.  i don't know why someone said it was illegal to rip cd's in england because its not
RE: mp3 music by .blade// on 07-03-2004 at 03:17 PM

:bananaxmas: I don't need to buy CD's because in Canada - music downloading is LEGAL :refuck::bananaxmas::banana::fire:

RE: mp3 music by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 03:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
music downloading is LEGAL
i thought it was still illegal, there was just no way of trackin people beacuse of laws about keeping information. so there was no way to track ip's
RE: mp3 music by .blade// on 07-03-2004 at 03:50 PM

quote:
quote:
i thought it was still illegal, there was just no way of trackin people beacuse of laws about keeping information. so there was no way to track ip's

but the courts ruled that in CANADA it's LEGAL....they said it was "...like having a photo-copier in a library full of copyright materials..."
RE: mp3 music by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 03:59 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

but the courts ruled that in CANADA it's LEGAL....they said it was "...like having a photo-copier in a library full of copyright materials..."

oh kk, i thought it was more to do with human rights and not been able to track people. like you don't have speed camera's do you because there are agaisnt human rights
RE: mp3 music by Johnny_Mac on 07-03-2004 at 04:23 PM

quote:
And all the money, minus the other costs, goes to the artist.
Thats very rarely the case, the majority of the money goes to the music company. A very small %age goes to the artist unless they hold copyright of the lyrics. A lot of artists support P2P; the argument comes directly from record labels themseleves.
quote:
like you don't have speed camera's
:O Damn canada. :P
RE: mp3 music by .blade// on 07-03-2004 at 04:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac

quote:
like you don't have speed camera's
:O Damn canada. :P

No, that's just here in BC....damn (drunk ;)) dipshit Premier :P
RE: mp3 music by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 04:41 PM

quote:
No, that's just here in BC
oh i thought it was all of canada. well at least that what i seem to remeber my uncle saying when i was out in canda a couple of months ago, but he does live in BC so may be he just meant there.
anyway i wish they where not allowing in the uk ? by the time i will be able to drive they will be everywhere. in 3 miles of road new my hosue, there are now 14 camera's

anyway this is has nothing to do with mp3 music so, offtopic ended
RE: mp3 music by Garndell on 07-03-2004 at 06:47 PM

It is Law.  It is Illegal to copy any Music without Copyright holders permission.

http://forum.playzen.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4940

&

http://www.pcmag.co.uk/Features/1139612

LEGAL EAGLES: TAKE CARE TO STAY WITHIN THE BOUNDS OF THE LAW
British copyright law is one of the tightest in the world, designed to prevent any copying of original work.

"You are not allowed to make a substantial copy of any copyright work, either as a whole or any component part," explains Anna Booy, a solicitor specialising in intellectual property law. There are very few exceptions to this.

Teachers and students are allowed to cite quotes out of copyright works for study purposes, and critics may reprint short sections in reviews.

RE: mp3 music by Dane on 07-03-2004 at 07:00 PM

Well, downloading a song IS illegal, as CookieRevised said. However, take a look at the inflation.

The way a typical $15.00 should be priced:

$0.80 MAXIMUM per CD
$0.50 MAXIMUM per case (these are very cheap, look at the prices at your local store for CD cases)
$2.00 for the artist for the "Thought in there song"
$2.00 for the recording company and studio time
=========
$5.30 is the price you must figure a CD should be

Thats very affordable, Plus it will generate more revenue. (More people will buy something cheaper than something expensive).  Multiply that and the artist/record company/cd companies/cd case companies get $5,300,000 PER every 1,000,000 Albums Sold.

RE: mp3 music by .blade// on 07-03-2004 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo
Well, downloading a song IS illegal, as CookieRevised said. However, take a look at the inflation.

$0.80 MAXIMUM per CD
$0.50 MAXIMUM per case (these are very cheap, look at the prices at your local store for CD cases)
=========

Thats very affordable, Plus it will generate more revenue. (More people will buy something cheaper than something expensive).  Multiply that and the artist/record company/cd companies/cd case companies get $5,300,000 PER every 1,000,000 Albums Sold.

And let's say that 1 million copies are sold, then they would be making over 5 million dollars for a couple songs that took them maybe a 3 or 4 weeks to do....but I think around $7 would be more accurate for a CD than $5, for profit reasons :P
RE: mp3 music by CookieRevised on 07-03-2004 at 07:58 PM

quote:

$0.80 MAXIMUM per CD
=========

And where are the printing costs for the booklets and leaflets, and where are the costs for the promo, and where are the costs for the distributers, etc... etc...? And besides all that, all those prices are expenses (the money to buy the raw material, machinery maintenance, etc), not profits; every section of it will charge a small profit of course, otherwise there is no point in doing all work....
RE: mp3 music by Johnny_Mac on 07-03-2004 at 08:00 PM

These figures are ridiculous. What are they based on, 8,000,000 singles sold? 25 sold? Its impossible to use figures to prove a point like this. It all works on economies of scale.

quote:
And where are the printing costs for the booklets and leaflets, and where are the costs for the promo, and where are the costs for the distributers, etc... etc...?
Any large record label would obviously have relations with large printing organisations, surely it would only cost pennies for a CD cover from EMI's printing partner?

RE: mp3 music by CookieRevised on 07-03-2004 at 08:03 PM

That's beside the point and only an example of missing costs (like merchandising, which goes together with promo, but is also needed to get a CD on the market, and I can think of more things...)

But what I wanna show is that such calculations (widely used by many people to show that a CD should costs almost nothing) are in fact very very incomplete and don't show the whole picture....

That doesn't change the fact that some CD's are indeed to expensive or that some stores charge to much money for some albums... But overall, a CD is priced very fairly... be sure of that....

Also, the arguments that selling a CD on the net is cheaper so why not use the same prices in the stores are wrong. If a CD is ONLY sold on the net then you cut out many costs (like store-profit, distributers-profits/costs, people to do the promo "on the street", etc...) So that's why CD's sold ONLY on the net are often cheaper. That doesn't mean they can sell them for the same price in the store because that includes more costs....

like some artists say themselfs: "If the song isn't officialy put on the net and you download it, then that's stealing our hard earned money. But if that illegal downloaded song makes you buy the CD, then that's great, but still stays a bit wrong... Downloading full CD's of the net is stupid and keeps us from earning the money to make more music." <= collective quote from some bands currently playing on Rock Werchter...

RE: mp3 music by Garndell on 07-03-2004 at 08:17 PM

They are also forgetting Marketing, Gigs and the fact that some have to HIRE a band to make it (Dave Grohl doesn't of course).

RE: mp3 music by Johnny_Mac on 07-03-2004 at 08:17 PM

On this topic.

I'm a bit pissed actually.

I bought a single off MSN Music (UK) yesterday. I downloaded the track, which I only recieved 1 track off a normal single (which has 3 tracks... others usually being B sides)

In the United Kingdom that CD (with 2 additional tracks) would have cost me £2.99 (or less) from a store. This one track from it cost me 99p. Fair enough, I was happy with that. I wanted to support music.

Now I come to put my new downloaded and fully paid for single on a CD. And it tells me I'm not allowed as its a violation of the copyright?

My point is I should have just have borrowed my mates copy of the CD and copied the thing for myself and used my own 99p disk.

I thought I'd do a decent thing and buy a single online to support the industry, when in the end im gonna copy my mates CD so i can use it in my CD player anyway! I dont see how this system will work.

RE: mp3 music by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 08:25 PM

quote:
Also, the arguments that selling a CD on the net is cheaper so why not use the same prices in the stores are wrong. If a CD is ONLY sold on the net then you cut out many costs (like store-profit, distributers-profits/costs, people to do the promo "on the street", etc...) So that's why CD's sold ONLY on the net are often cheaper. That doesn't mean they can sell them for the same price in the store because that includes more costs

what more costs ?
if it is been sold on the internet, the internet site sill adds there profit onto it. so that is like the store-profit.  The artist still need to do promo's otherwise no one would know about the cd. there are also things like the running of the site cost that need to be added.

RE: mp3 music by surfichris on 07-03-2004 at 11:05 PM

quote:
Well, downloading a song IS illegal, as CookieRevised said
We established that a long time ago.

quote:

$0.80 MAXIMUM per CD
=========
You seem to be forgetting the cover art design, which is an extra thing, as well as the production of the CD's, the shipment to stores and other countries, etc.
RE: mp3 music by Garndell on 07-03-2004 at 11:11 PM

quote:
On this topic.

I'm a bit pissed actually.

I bought a single off MSN Music (UK) yesterday. I downloaded the track, which I only recieved 1 track off a normal single (which has 3 tracks... others usually being B sides)

In the United Kingdom that CD (with 2 additional tracks) would have cost me £2.99 (or less) from a store. This one track from it cost me 99p. Fair enough, I was happy with that. I wanted to support music.

Now I come to put my new downloaded and fully paid for single on a CD. And it tells me I'm not allowed as its a violation of the copyright?

My point is I should have just have borrowed my mates copy of the CD and copied the thing for myself and used my own 99p disk.

I thought I'd do a decent thing and buy a single online to support the industry, when in the end im gonna copy my mates CD so i can use it in my CD player anyway! I dont see how this system will work.

DRM (Digital Rights Management) strikes.  Thisis M$'s new angle on MP3's designed to stop just what you are doing, copying to a CD.  By doing that you would Violate UK Copyright Laws.  It sucks yeah, but it's what is happening nowadays.

It's good to support the industry but they need to cut us at least some slack.  I bought a MP3 Player not long ago & break the Law by having music on it that I ripped from CD's even though I bought the CD's.

We should try to get a petition up for a change in the Law to allow personal backups & legal rights to Copy Music from OUR OWN CD's to MP3 Players.
RE: mp3 music by Johnny_Mac on 07-04-2004 at 12:54 AM

quote:
DRM (Digital Rights Management) strikes.  Thisis M$'s new angle on MP3's designed to stop just what you are doing, copying to a CD.  By doing that you would Violate UK Copyright Laws.  It sucks yeah, but it's what is happening nowadays.
Ya see, what i don't get is for a less amount, I could actually own that CD. (case, cover and everything). So telling us we need "new" ways of making money by selling mp3's/wma/etc... online isnt going to work if we're denied the use of the actual song in the most popular method of playing it... CD.

Is this just a way of making us all stop downloading and go buy CD's? Surely more people would take the "fu** it, i'll open kazaa" approach? :undecided:
RE: mp3 music by Garndell on 07-04-2004 at 02:09 AM

There is lots of debates going on on the net about DRM and what it means.  The majority it seems see it as a bad move.  It means MP3 players will have to be DRM compliant in the future which could up prices on them.  £2.99 for a single, seems like a lot but the last single I bought (The Music - Take The long Road And Walk It) has a bonus track called Alone.  I really like that song & if i'd downloaded the single i'd have missed out on the "B-Side".

I would much rather have MP3's than CD's when walking in the summer.  Carrying all the CD's I'd need to get the songs I like best would mean filling a bag with them.  Thieves would try & have a field day (they can try but will fail) and would you want to carry a bag full of CD's everywhere?

CD's are great for at home but not exactly that portable are they.

RE: mp3 music by Johnny_Mac on 07-04-2004 at 08:59 PM

quote:
CD's are great for at home but not exactly that portable are they.
This is knida going off the point, so i'll make it short; I dont walk. :refuck:

I drive to most places and like CD's for the keepsake and leave them in the car. If I cant pay, download and burn music. I'm not going to bother paying. :undecided:
RE: mp3 music by Ginger on 07-04-2004 at 10:26 PM

Well im not for or against either strongly, i do both.  I download songs on Kazaa but not major downloading like *cough my bros cough* and i buy cds so im stuck between the two

i dont see why companies in their right mind would try and make money off SELLING songs when you can get them for free. 

my opinion on IPOD:

Ipod is primairily an american based product * i think* but they are still sellin in Canada.  The thing is tho, there are no LEGAL ways of downloading music to your Ipod in canada.  So my theory is, buy an Ipod, download illegal music, and then when the company sues me i will sue Ipod and make money because they failed to set up a proper way of downloadin music to their product legally..

right ill stop now... woooo

RE: mp3 music by Jhrono on 07-04-2004 at 10:40 PM

I just have 1 thing to say people...
Who is going to buy, for ex. , a house compilation for 40 € ,kinda...:members: (4 guys)...when that same cd can be downloaded for ZERO on the net, kinda :many: (lots of them) listen copyright defender guys..there's no way millions of people are going to start buying cd's(:throwup: 'cause they just know that no1 is going to get them...e supose :)...

RE: mp3 music by CookieRevised on 07-04-2004 at 11:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ClassroomDevil
i dont see why companies in their right mind would try and make money off SELLING songs when you can get them for free.
that makes no sense.... In your own logic: I don't get why stores are asking money for that TV-set when you can steal the same TV-set from your neighbours....:S

quote:
Originally posted by ClassroomDevil
So my theory is, buy an Ipod, download illegal music, and then when the company sues me i will sue Ipod and make money because they failed to set up a proper way of downloadin music to their product legally..
You wont get far with that theory, I wouldn't try it out if I were you.... You can't sue a company because YOU use their product in a bad way!!! (analogy: I can't sue the company that made that gun for not being able to stop me shooting my neighbours...) :S

small note: I don't have anything against my neighbours though :p

RE: mp3 music by spokes on 07-05-2004 at 05:33 AM

i donwload most songs, but if i really like the artist i will normally just buy the album.
i think £10-£15 is pretty reasonable for an ALBUM containing about 15-20 song., but £5 for one single containing 3 songs is just a rip off!, so downloadin is a hell of a lot betta ;)

RE: mp3 music by expert on 07-05-2004 at 07:57 AM

a good way to get music is buy a big and go to www.conect.com/canada [Image: burger.gif]

RE: mp3 music by Dane on 07-05-2004 at 10:00 AM

Meh, okay, add $2.00 more to cover Cover Design, Printing, and Promos, your still at $7.30, when the average american CD is $15.00+

;), your forgetting, every CD pays for the "big picture", so that cover designer is prolly getting a lot more than there design is worth, just cause they're being paid PER CD.

RE: mp3 music by Johnny_Mac on 07-06-2004 at 12:02 AM

quote:
, your forgetting, every CD pays for the "big picture", so that cover designer is prolly getting a lot more than there design is worth, just cause they're being paid PER CD.
WTF?

That artist who designs the cover will have nothing to do with the supply/demand of the CD. She'd/He'd will be paid a fixed fee no matter what. Otherwise she'd/he'd have to asses how likely the CD is to succeed before she/he done the "design" - which would be 1) costly and 2) unlikely as the record label want to it to succeed as much as possible so price fixing would be an issue.

And £5 for a single? Huh?! According to The Official UK Charts Company Website, the min price for a single CD is £1.20; otherwise the single is not eliabgable for entry. So surely no one would charge £5 for a single. :rolleyes:

RE: mp3 music by dom. on 07-10-2004 at 06:24 PM

quote:
..and like CD's for the keepsake

Your forgetting that CDs go off. Apparently, the stuff used in the insert reacts with the stuff in the CD and after approx. 20 years, the CD becomes unuseable.

My local music store charges £16.99 for most albums, thats 31.60$ and 25.45€! Now come on, that is over for 10-15 songs!
RE: mp3 music by Vazza on 07-10-2004 at 07:42 PM

quote:

And £5 for a single? Huh?! According to The Official UK Charts Company Website, the min price for a single CD is £1.20; otherwise the single is not eliabgable for entry. So surely no one would charge £5 for a single. :rolleyes:

I've seen it in the likes of HMV etc. where a single has been priced at £5 ( and thats singles theat have been out more than 12 months). Surely if they wanted rid of the singles, they'd lower the price?

quote:
Originally posted by dom.

Your forgetting that CDs go off. Apparently, the stuff used in the insert reacts with the stuff in the CD and after approx. 20 years, the CD becomes unuseable.

I read that it was disks made way back like when CD's were first made because of what was used to make them that it formed an oxide layer between the tracks and lens and is most noticable on the last tracks (since it starts outside and works in)
RE: mp3 music by dom. on 07-10-2004 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
I read that it was disks made way back like when CD's were first made
Probably true, I heard people talking about their rare, special edition CD's from the 80's which will be no good..
RE: mp3 music by Johnny_Mac on 07-10-2004 at 11:30 PM

£5 for an E.P. Maybe...

But I am yet to see a single with its B-sides at anything over £3.50.

RE: mp3 music by Vantage on 07-11-2004 at 12:20 AM

i think that downloading music is fine as it promotes the artist, some popular not, but from the artist's view Aren't they making alot of money?, there just being greedy :P

RE: mp3 music by CookieRevised on 07-11-2004 at 09:16 AM

They are not being greedy.... (the people who download illegal are greedy)
And it certainly doesn't make them a lot of money...

But...
Many artists are happy that their music is spread in that way, but at the same time they aren't happy about the fact that people will download their songs without paying, because all in all, they ARE loosing money because of it! (and you can argue about the costs of CD's, about your principles, etc... all ya want, that doesn't change the fact that artists loose money because of the illegal downloads).

On the other hand, big artists, don't need that kind of spreading/promotion anymore and they don't have anything to gain  about the whole thing...

And this trend can be seen more and more btw: Small artists often put there songs on the net, because it IS a good place to promote. Although many people will take advantage of it, the true fan will buy the CD nevertheless. But big artists often don't do it anymore, because they don't need that kind of promotion anymore....

Thus...

Money and promotion aren't the same! You can make a lot of promotion, but loose a lot of money at the same time. And this is certainly true on the net.

The idea that if you make enough promotion you will make enough money is a bit utopian...

RE: mp3 music by sasquatch on 07-18-2004 at 07:39 AM

first, to address every single comment about how little CD's cost to produce and how much ppl charge for them, the basic logic within that is flawed

ur arguement is basicly like walking into a resturant and asking them how they can charge you $10 bucks for a plate of spaghetti and meatballs when u noe that the raw materials would only cost $3 per say, ur completeling forgetting the ppl who work in the studios recording the songs, the mixers, the editors, the ppl who work at the factory that makes the CD's, the truck drivers who ship them, the person who stocks CD's at ur music store, the cashier and so on and so forth, not to mention the utilites involved in running these operations, maybe u don't realize that they rely on this industry to keep them afloat and alive. The music industry employs millions of ppl and to say that it is "unfair" for them to charge you $15 Canadian Dollars for a CD is unreasonalbe in itself

next, is to everyone who thinks that you can just download music ALL THE TIME forever, if everyone were like you, you do realize that there would be no more new music in the world. this may come as a complete shock to those naive and arrogant enough to believe that downloading music has absolutely no impact on anything and that recording labels are just greedy. has it ever occured to you that people are just trying to make a living? Although i do download music, i also almost always buy the artists CD after, unless i find that they are just a fluke. this way, i can assure that more music will be recorded in the future. does this make the artist or the labels seem so greedy? people work hard just to make music. harder than most of us will probably ever know. to ppl like toddy and johny, i hope you realize that nothing in this world is truly free. wut if one day, u lost your job because the world was cheap and decided the service/product could be gotten for free? maybe that would open your eyes to how the world really works. but for now, you just keep doing what you do but remember that "what goes around, comes around" or you could just try buying an album, maybe you might enjoy it, you never know.