Shoutbox

uk broadband - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: uk broadband (/showthread.php?tid=27911)

uk broadband by toddy on 06-29-2004 at 10:44 PM

i was just wondering who you get your braodband off and how much is it ? and where u think there is a better company to get it off than the company u use ?

the reason for the questions is that i use a company called. "giointernet" its £19.99 for 512kb, but i have been having problems lately, like its havin a lot of down time. so i am thinkin about changing provider

RE: uk broadband by Choli on 06-29-2004 at 10:54 PM

Here, in Spain, havin Internet is very expensive. I pay 45€/month for a 256 download / 128 upload kbps ADSL. All the companies are have the same price and nearly the same QoS. About calbe, you can have 300 kbps cable paying something similar to what I pay, however that's not availabel everywhere and where it is, they don't let you open ports under 1024 (ie: you can't have a web server or a FTP).

RE: uk broadband by dotNorma on 06-29-2004 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Here, in Spain, havin Internet is very expensive. I pay 45€/month for a 256 download / 128 upload kbps ADSL. All the companies are have the same price and nearly the same QoS. About calbe, you can have 300 kbps cable paying something similar to what I pay, however that's not availabel everywhere and where it is, they don't let you open ports under 1024 (ie: you can't have a web server or a FTP).

Woah :o

My ISP is like 30.00 - 40.00 a month for 1 - 1.5 MB download and they gave us free webspace and emails. (Cable)

And thats with the added cost of us renting the modem. (We are going to get a new one for ourselves soon.)
RE: uk broadband by Johnny_Mac on 06-30-2004 at 01:04 AM

Blueyonder.

£29.99 a Month for 1.5MB. :D

RE: uk broadband by kao on 06-30-2004 at 08:46 AM

no it isnt JMac... i just looked at prices, 1.5mbit with Blueyonder is £35 p/m when ordered with another Blueyonder package, or £37.99 p/m when ordered on its own...

RE: uk broadband by M-Head on 06-30-2004 at 09:23 AM

NTL and Blueyonder are soon to be updating their Broadband speeds for free, due to fierce competition with each other.

NTL currently provides:

150k (£17.99)
600k (£24.99)
1mbit (£35.99)

Because of competition, around the August time, they are upgrading customers free of charge to

1.5mbit

For people like me on 150k, that's a good uprade (double speeds for free).

Although, I wish I had a 600k/1mbit connection.

Blueyonder are doing a similar thing, although all I know is that they are going to boost 2mb connections to 3mb. Which is a biiiiaaaaaatttttccchh!

[i]Edit: Is it 1.5mbit for Blueyonder atm? I'm not sure...

RE: uk broadband by user27089 on 06-30-2004 at 09:30 AM

256kbps - £15.99 a month for me :p and its always on :) and wiv jwb's improving hidden browser its wicked :p cause i can have it on wivout it being in the toolbar :) so parents think i'm doing homework, and i have the boss protection on :p which rules!!

RE: uk broadband by Stigmata on 06-30-2004 at 09:38 AM

freeserve here :)

dynamic ip :)

RE: uk broadband by user27089 on 06-30-2004 at 09:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
freeserve here :)

dynamic ip :)
is that relevant to the question.. how much does it cost?

RE: uk broadband by kao on 06-30-2004 at 10:38 AM

I'm on freeserve to, they're fucking shit. £27.99 a month for 576k, but its shite, been going down or screwing up a fair bit recently :undecided:

RE: uk broadband by bmtaylor on 06-30-2004 at 11:52 AM

Here's all the pricing info for Telewest Broadband.  Apart from some current issues with the email, I've not had any major problems to complain about.

http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/internet/internet.htm

RE: uk broadband by saralk on 06-30-2004 at 12:32 PM

Im on AOL, dont believe the hype. When you have bband, u dnt need to run the AOL software to connect to the internet, u can use dial-up networking. Also when you can face it, the AOL software is actually quite good. There is a thing called AOL Radio, where you have a massive selection of radio stations to choose from, choosing from a range of genres.

Also it's really fast and their support is pretty good too, AND they give you access to the internet abroad, so your covered everywhere you go.

Edit: Prices:

£19.99 - 256kbps
£24.99 - 512kbps
£29.99 - 1mbps

RE: uk broadband by Dempsey on 06-30-2004 at 01:36 PM

i use Pipex, its about £23 i think for 512kb upstream and 256kn down.

RE: uk broadband by toddy on 06-30-2004 at 03:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
Blueyonder.

that seems like quite a good deal.
its is always on and do you have to connect ? and have u had any problems with it ? eg alot of down time
RE: uk broadband by user27089 on 06-30-2004 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
Blueyonder.

that seems like quite a good deal.
its is always on and do you have to connect ? and have u had any problems with it ? eg alot of down time

its a v. good deal... you do not have to connect, there is just a modem -
(it should be called a modem though because modems modulate then demodulate, but broadband is digital information, and therefore does not need demodulating.... do you get me??) - and its always on, so you never have to dial up agen :p, there is never really any downtime
RE: uk broadband by Stigmata on 06-30-2004 at 03:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
been going down or screwing up a fair bit recently

i havnt notised any thing wrong

RE: uk broadband by GiantSpider on 06-30-2004 at 04:51 PM

Mine same as Kao just i'm on BT Broadband. I think I can get an upgrade but dunno how much it would cost.

RE: uk broadband by user27089 on 06-30-2004 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
Mine same as Kao just i'm on BT Broadband. I think I can get an upgrade but dunno how much it would cost.
the only problem i have with bt, is that you still have to sorta sign in O_o
RE: uk broadband by Vazza on 06-30-2004 at 08:18 PM

BT Yahoo! Broadband Standard (500kbps)* ==> £29.99 per month
BT Yahoo! Broadband 1MB (1000 kbps) ==> £40.99 per month

If you order online though (from what I see on the site since that my internet provider, although I'm not on broadband yet. Just anounced for my exchange :)) you get a free modem and free line activation

*Not sure if it is 500kbps or 512kbps as there are differences on pages I've been looking at.

RE: uk broadband by Kryptonate on 06-30-2004 at 08:22 PM

Belgium:
ADSL: 3,3 Mbps; 29€/month, you can download 10GB.
Telenet (cable): 4 Mbps; don't know the price and 20GB

RE: uk broadband by toddy on 06-30-2004 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
Belgium:
Telenet (cable): 4 Mbps; don't know the price and 20GB
this is not much help, as i live in the uk
RE: uk broadband by mad_onion on 06-30-2004 at 09:09 PM

i have bt broadband
£27 per month
512 down
256 up
i havent hd any problems yet it seems to be very stable:D

PS: Saralk you do know that Windows Media Player can do exactly the same thing. It has a massive selection and can sort be genre as well a many other things

RE: uk broadband by Choli on 06-30-2004 at 10:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
its a v. good deal... you do not have to connect, there is just a modem -
(it should be called a modem though because modems modulate then demodulate, but broadband is digital information, and therefore does not need demodulating.... do you get me??) - and its always on, so you never have to dial up agen :p, there is never really any downtime
you wrong, traxor...

in fact, as you said, modems modulate and demuluate a signal that means that they transform a signal into an other with a technique called modulation. Both ADSL and Dial-up modems are modems (:refuck:), I mean, they modulate and demodulate a signal. In both cases, the sent-received signal is an analogic one.

The difference between both signals is in their frequences. Dial-up signals are in the range 300-3300 Hz (the same used by the human voice in telephonic calls (that's why you can't use at the same time a dial-up internet connection and make a phone call)). ADSL signal frequences are bigger than 3300 Hz and that implies 2 things: You have the 300-3300 Hz band free, so you can make a phone call at the same time you're surfing the net and you have a wider range (from a bit more than 3300 Hz to .... (a high value, I can't remember)). With that wider range of frequences you can get higher speeds.

About what you said about you have to dial-up or not etc...: With a 56 Kbps modem you have to dial-up because your ISP has to distinguish when you want to make a standar phnoca call or connect to the Internet. So you dial a number and when that number "answers", it and the modem follow a protocol that can decide the connection speed, etc... and it distinguish it from a standar call.

With ADSL, there's no need of dialing up, because there's no other (not exactly true) thing that can use the same band of frequences. However, even if you don't notice it, there's a protocol similar to the dial-up one that is done before you connect to the internet.

Simarizing: Both dial-up and ADSL transmit (send & receive) digital information. Both modulate before sending and demodulate after receiving that information. Both module that info into an analogic signal. The diference is in the way of modulating the information (the algorithm used to modulate and the range of frequences that has the modulated signal).
quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
how do they know the ammount of data downloaded? what would happen if you download more than 10 Gb? Are you sure they apply that limit?
RE: uk broadband by Kryptonate on 06-30-2004 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
how do they know the ammount of data downloaded? what would happen if you download more than 10 Gb? Are you sure they apply that limit?
they keep track of how long you are online and how much data is being transfered. If you download more than 10GB you are being put on smallband (64Kbps) till the end of the month. We can check how much is left at belgacom.be in our account (if you ADSL), if you use cable you can check it at telenet.be.
RE: uk broadband by Garndell on 06-30-2004 at 11:29 PM

750down/128up NTL £24.99
Dad has a 34Mbit line for his business which I occasionally hog for Online play (Far Cry or MMORPG's).

I am going to get a 2Mbit (minimum) line from someone for Warhammer Online & World of Warcraft Final, for obvious reasons.

RE: uk broadband by vincerooney on 07-01-2004 at 07:47 PM

Broadband question: I'm going to try and get AOL's 256kps deal for 19.99. Any thoughts on it?

PLUS

How does broadband work exactly? The computers in my room and to connect to the internet on 56k i use a phone line extension wire that runs down the stairs to the nearest phone line. how does broadband work? could it work in this situation?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

RE: uk broadband by Choli on 07-01-2004 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vincerooney
How does broadband work exactly? The computers in my room and to connect to the internet on 56k i use a phone line extension wire that runs down the stairs to the nearest phone line. how does broadband work? could it work in this situation?
broad band is just the same. The only difference is that instead of your 56 kbps modem, you'll have an ADSL modem or router. With adsl you'll also have to install a small microfilter in each telephone. A microfilter is like a little wire extension that you have to place between the phone line and the phone itself. It's very easy, don't worry about that. If you have to install it yourself, they (AOL) will give you detailed instructions and if someone is going to your house to make the installation, s/he'll do all for you :)
RE: uk broadband by Garndell on 07-01-2004 at 11:45 PM

Of course Cable is a little different ;)  I get TV, Phone & Internet through one fibre-optic link.  No need for microfilters or "BT" or even "xDSL".

RE: uk broadband by toddy on 07-01-2004 at 11:56 PM

i can't get cable. We live on a private road, with another house. And the other house said they would not give permission for the road to be dung up.

RE: uk broadband by vincerooney on 07-02-2004 at 02:28 AM

Ahh i understand but since broadband is always on wouldnt there need to be the phone extension lead going down the stairs 24/7? I dont think the family would like that and there would probably be a few neck injuries...

toddy ive seen some good internet deals from tiscali if thats any help.

RE: uk broadband by toddy on 07-02-2004 at 02:32 AM

quote:
Ahh i understand but since broadband is always on wouldnt there need to be the phone extension lead going down the stairs 24/7? I dont think the family would like that and there would probably be a few neck injuries...
yeh you would. so you would need to find another route for the cable

quote:
toddy ive seen some good internet deals from tiscali if thats any help
cheers i will have a look

RE: uk broadband by Johnny_Mac on 07-02-2004 at 02:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
no it isnt JMac... i just looked at prices, 1.5mbit with Blueyonder is £35 p/m when ordered with another Blueyonder package, or £37.99 p/m when ordered on its own...
Funny enough, I seem to know how much comes out of my bank account a month.

I pay 30 quid. Okay? :D
RE: uk broadband by Garndell on 07-02-2004 at 03:11 PM

To remove the wires why not go for the Wireless Router, would make things a bit easier and also Network friendly.

RE: uk broadband by vincerooney on 07-02-2004 at 05:10 PM

how does a wireless router work?

RE: uk broadband by toddy on 07-02-2004 at 05:16 PM

sends the signals thought the air, you then need a wireless lan card, to pick up the signal

RE: uk broadband by Choli on 07-02-2004 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
sends the signals thought the air, you then need a wireless lan card, to pick up the signal
However you still need to connect the router to the phone line. Anyway, you can put it dowstairs. The signal will be received upstairs ;)
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
get it illegally

/sevillaugh
stop spamming :mipdodgy:
RE: uk broadband by vincerooney on 07-03-2004 at 01:11 AM

Sounds so complicated and expensive...

RE: uk broadband by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 01:13 AM

quote:
its not complicated its really easy but as you guessed it is expensive
RE: uk broadband by Choli on 07-03-2004 at 09:05 AM

quote:
in fact it's a bit expensive, but not very much. Maybe it worth it. And it's no complicated at all. it's very easy.
RE: uk broadband by mad_onion on 07-03-2004 at 02:16 PM

i have the same problem as toddy:(. i live on private road with about 6 other houses and they wont let the road be dug up which is quite sad:( because getting cable would be an advantage but thats the way it is.

RE: uk broadband by saralk on 07-03-2004 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
PS: Saralk you do know that Windows Media Player can do exactly the same thing. It has a massive selection and can sort be genre as well a many other things

but a lot of them are either low bitrate, or have loads of adverts/people talking in between songs. AOL radio has neither of these

RE: uk broadband by Garndell on 07-03-2004 at 06:52 PM

Well, for general internet use all you need is a 11Mbit Wireless Network, so you can get that for about £70 in the UK (probably $50 in the US) so it isn't all that expensive & still possible to play LAN games if you want to.

RE: uk broadband by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
for general internet use all you need is a 11Mbit Wireless Network
this is really slow tho, you would want a 10/100 mb wireless router
RE: uk broadband by jren207 on 07-03-2004 at 08:15 PM

At this time of me posting I wouldn't touch NTL. Nearly all my MSN contacts have it (not me, you'll see why). But what is happening is my contacts are going offline all at the same time and then they are coming online again and it's really annoying lol. They keep getting disconnected. And the others with other ISPs are happily online lol.

RE: uk broadband by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
At this time of me posting I wouldn't touch NTL. Nearly all my MSN contacts have it (not me, you'll see why). But what is happening is my contacts are going offline all at the same time and then they are coming online again and it's really annoying lol. They keep getting disconnected. And the others with other ISPs are happily online lol.

lots of my contacts have NTL but i have never seen lots of them getting disconnected at the same time
RE: uk broadband by jren207 on 07-03-2004 at 09:29 PM

It must be jus my area, the ip ressolve for my contacts is,

http://cpc1-scun1-3-0-cust25.nott.cable.ntl.com

It'll b different for other areas.

RE: uk broadband by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 09:32 PM

oh well i don't live in nottingham ( i guessing that nott is nottingham)

RE: uk broadband by jren207 on 07-03-2004 at 09:38 PM

My contacts don't live in Nottingham lol, that's the server they connect to (I think it can be changed, so it might work better connected to another server if you get what I mean).

RE: uk broadband by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
My contacts don't live in Nottingham lol, that's the server they connect to
wonder what the .nott stands for then
RE: uk broadband by jren207 on 07-03-2004 at 09:50 PM

No no no, it does mean nottingham, that's the server they connect to ;).

Notice the scun bit,  that means Scunthorpe, the happy little town in which me and contacts PCs are lol

RE: uk broadband by Garndell on 07-03-2004 at 11:19 PM

I'm on the South of England (by Portsmouth) and that never happens to me or my NTL contacts.  I use 54Mbit Wireless for my Network but cos 2 PC's have only 11Mbit cards they slow it down.

You play Internet games with lots less than 11Mbit and LAN games hosted on the 11Mbit PC's are the same as if I was to host on 54Mbit.

Latency on Wireless Networks varies on Hardware but Linksys make trheir stuff very well and the latency is good.  10/100 is Wired you know.  Wireless typically comes in 11Mbit (Cheapest), 22Mbit (Low-middle) 54Mbit (Middle-High) & 108Mbit (Expensive).  Almost all Wireless Routers/Hubs have Wired network possibility too so you can run a mixed network.

RE: uk broadband by chungster on 07-08-2004 at 06:07 AM

comcast 3 mbps too lazy to say rest www.comcast.net