Shoutbox

Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal (/showthread.php?tid=27989)

Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by Joe on 07-01-2004 at 06:40 AM

Google has updated Gmail's Terms of Service on Monday, prohibiting users from engaging in commercial activities with their Gmail invitations.

Apparently, Google is not very happy with all the Gmail invitations that were being sold accross the Internet and has decided to put an end to this officially, Notsnarc reports.

The new policy reads "Sell, trade, resell or otherwise exploit for any unauthorized commercial purpose or transfer any Gmail account", will likely spelled the end for biddings of Gmail invitations on eBay and Internet forums. Although users can now no longer sell these invitations, I believe that the endless the "Gmail queue" requests will continue until either everybody has got an account, or they eventually lose interests, or Gmail becomes publically opened. Until which ever one of those happened, expect more "GIVE ME GMAIL!" to come.

crafeful*-)

source: Neowin.net

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by HemaOne on 07-01-2004 at 08:18 AM

bout bloody time:refuck:

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by |Rolando| on 07-01-2004 at 08:47 AM

i'll give you a gmail account for 99 cents :dodgy:

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by tomfletcherman on 07-01-2004 at 03:57 PM

There's penelopecruze@gmail.com up 4 grabs at 10,000.

Anyone know if someone has registered billgates@gmail.com yet?

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by Stigmata on 07-01-2004 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
anyone know if someone has registered billgates@gmail.com yet?

i think so :)

anyone got any famous people names, cus ive got some  invites
and i like the sound of selling them
RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by .blade// on 07-01-2004 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
quote:
anyone know if someone has registered billgates@gmail.com yet?

i think so :)

anyone got any famous people names, cus ive got some  invites
and i like the sound of selling them

patchou@gmail.com :refuck:
RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by Stigmata on 07-01-2004 at 04:05 PM

:refuck:

do you know something......... :)

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by tomfletcherman on 07-01-2004 at 04:15 PM

I'm hoping to get a 'famous' persons email address and sell it, but I don't know how active you have to be in your account to get invites? Anyway, quite a lot of the ones I get are being given to people on these forums.

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by Joe on 07-01-2004 at 07:00 PM

I'm pretty Active in mine.... and i've only had one invite

GREAT TO SEE YOU AGAIN ROLANDO!

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by toddy on 07-01-2004 at 07:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by atownjoe
I'm pretty Active in mine.... and i've only had one invite

yeh same here. i had sent lots of emails, and have like 200 message in my inbox now. but i have only had 1 invitition

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by bach_m on 07-01-2004 at 07:45 PM

its not actiuvity that is the issue. its mostly random, and the effects of the people you invite etc.

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by Pr0xY on 07-01-2004 at 08:00 PM

That sounds like a good idea, making a "famous person" gmail address....

hmmmm......... Can I send an invitation to myself?

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by Tochjo on 07-01-2004 at 08:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pr0xy_nuk3r
Can I send an invitation to myself?
Yes, just send it to one of your email addresses? It's against GMail policy to have more than one address yourself though :)
RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by toddy on 07-01-2004 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
Yes, just send it to one of your email addresses? It's against GMail policy to have more than one address yourself though
its not possible for them to check this is it tho ?
RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by user27089 on 07-01-2004 at 08:44 PM

lol, i'm gonna invite myself, and get one like britneyspears@gmail.com :)

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by toddy on 07-01-2004 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
britneyspears@gmail.com
good luck trying to get it, but i guess it has already gone.
why not try get sport teams, i guess they would be a demand for things like arsenal@gmail.com (big english football team, if u don't kno about them)
RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by azn angel on 07-03-2004 at 06:12 AM

why would you sell it for 99 cents?! i mean yay! a dollar! i can go buy.....candy!
sad sad people...

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by Web_Master on 07-03-2004 at 08:15 AM

oh and also 99cents you have to minus the insertion fee of 35cents. so really its like 64cents! JOY

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by azn angel on 07-03-2004 at 09:51 AM

dont double post! theres this thing called the edit button...:P:P
true, i tried to get azn.angel but had to get azn.anjewl instead:(

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by RebelSean on 07-06-2004 at 03:16 AM

quote:
Anyone know if someone has registered billgates@gmail.com yet?

:lol:...Bout time they put a stop to sellin invites on the net honestly it is very :dodgy: to sell them...
RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by azn angel on 07-06-2004 at 03:28 AM

why would you sell them? i mean gmail isnt thaaaaaaaaat great, if you're willing to buy an invite why not sign up to something that has more storage? like hotmail or yahoo, they have more features

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by Wabz on 07-06-2004 at 03:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by azn angel
something that has more storage? like hotmail or yahoo,

Because GMAIL gives the most for free?

I have a 2GB yahoo account because I'm an internet customer with an associate company.  And hotmails biggest account is 250MB
RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by unknown2u on 07-08-2004 at 12:11 AM

quote:
Google's relationships with government officials in all of the dozens of countries where they operate are a mystery, because Google never makes any statements about this. But here's a clue: Google uses the term "governmental request" three times on their terms-of-use page and once on their privacy page. Google's language means that all Gmail account holders have consented to allow Google to show any and all email in their Gmail accounts to any official from any government whatsoever, even when the request is informal or extralegal, at Google's sole discretion. Why should we send email to Gmail accounts under such draconian conditions?

Find out more about this click here!

:|Gmail BAD! :|
RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by Joe on 07-08-2004 at 12:21 AM

:mipdodgy:WTF?:mipdodgy:

RE: RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by azn angel on 07-08-2004 at 06:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by unknown2u
quote:
Google's relationships with government officials in all of the dozens of countries where they operate are a mystery, because Google never makes any statements about this. But here's a clue: Google uses the term "governmental request" three times on their terms-of-use page and once on their privacy page. Google's language means that all Gmail account holders have consented to allow Google to show any and all email in their Gmail accounts to any official from any government whatsoever, even when the request is informal or extralegal, at Google's sole discretion. Why should we send email to Gmail accounts under such draconian conditions?

Find out more about this click here!

:|Gmail BAD! :|

[Image: smells.jpg] :)

from the gmail website:
Is Google reading my email?

Answer:

Google is NOT reading your mail. Privacy is an issue we take very seriously. Gmail is a technology-based program. Advertising and related information are shown using a completely automated process. Ads are selected for relevance and served by Google computers using the same contextual advertising technology that powers our AdSense program. This technology enables Google to effectively target dynamically changing content, such as email, or news stories.
Because the ads and Related Pages are matched to information that is of interest to you, we hope you'll find them relevant and useful.

If you'd like to know more about how Google handles your Gmail information, please read our Gmail Privacy Policy.
RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by bach_m on 07-08-2004 at 10:59 AM

google reading your email with a computer is no different than how ANY bayesian spam filter works. Hotmail does it. so does any plugin u get for OE/THunderbird etc. i don't know why this is so different.

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by Garndell on 07-08-2004 at 12:38 PM

Im just thankful I signed up for Aventuremail instead.  Gmail and its adverts ARE NOT what I want to see every time I go to my mail.

Oh, I know someone that is selling a set of 5 invites on Ebay.

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by unknown2u on 07-09-2004 at 02:08 AM

I would like to start out by pointing out my title:

quote:
Professional Conspiracy theorist

I like to take the side other ppl don't take. You have to agree that some of these theories out there are just nuts. That is what makes them so funny.

[Image: badger.gif]

Take this badger... I bet you didn't know that in 1962 he was one of the only survivors of the Roswell Mexico crash.
Right now he is transmitting subliminal messages to your brain.

LOOK AWAY!

This would also explain why I had to edit this thing three times in a row.
RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by ddunk on 07-09-2004 at 02:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
Im just thankful I signed up for Aventuremail instead.  Gmail and its adverts ARE NOT what I want to see every time I go to my mail.

These ads aren't half bad... the ads on hotmail are bigger than on gmail.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=274745]
RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by Garndell on 07-09-2004 at 06:00 AM

Just aswell I don't use Hotmail for mail.  All I use it for is MSN, lol.  Anyway, i'd rather M$ scanned my emails for keywords than Google, at least we know M$ won't piss about with the data, selling it to the highest bidder.  They'd just target us with M$ Products, which 99% of you use, lol.

RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by bach_m on 07-09-2004 at 10:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
we know M$ won't piss about with the data, selling it to the highest bidder

says who??

all google says is that they will comply with government requests for email. i'm sure Microsoft will too.
RE: Google declared 99 cents GMail invitations illegal by Garndell on 07-09-2004 at 03:46 PM

M$ complying with Governments???  Never heard of such a thing ;);)