Shoutbox

DSL ISPs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: DSL ISPs (/showthread.php?tid=28062)

DSL ISPs by kao on 07-02-2004 at 10:14 PM

Im going to be upgrading my internet to 1mbit soonish, looking at 2 ISPs, one is Pipex (www.pipex.com) and the other is freedom2surf (www.freedom2surf.com)
they're both pretty much the same except f2s gives a static IP which i'd prefere, but i dont know anyone on them and wanna find out if anyone uses them/knows somene who uses them, and if they're any good (speeds and uptime)

My mum's work office uses f2s and she says they're very good, so i'm kind of stuck :undecided:

it needs to be good speeds while downloading, and give me a nice ping in games (30ms max tbh)

anyone ?

RE: DSL ISPs by Garndell on 07-03-2004 at 01:10 AM

www.ispreview.co.uk

Comprehensive list of UK Broadband & Dialup ISP's with Reviews.

RE: DSL ISPs by kao on 07-03-2004 at 02:50 PM

Anyone have any reviews of 'Eclipse' and 'Vispa'? It's all good seeing graphs between them all, but i'l rather hear some reviews from actual people myself about the reliablity and speed etc...

RE: DSL ISPs by .blade// on 07-03-2004 at 03:15 PM

I use Telus, they are fast for atleast dowloads....

RE: DSL ISPs by saralk on 07-03-2004 at 04:15 PM

you can get a static ip address with pipex, my friend has them and they are very good.

RE: DSL ISPs by .blade// on 07-03-2004 at 06:48 PM

Telus gives a static IP, 1.5mbps download speed, and 10mb of web-space.

RE: DSL ISPs by kao on 07-03-2004 at 11:20 PM

You're in canada right? Im in UK :undecided:...

On the pipex site i see nothing about a static IP, and someone i know has them, he doesn't get a static ip :undecided:

RE: DSL ISPs by .blade// on 07-03-2004 at 11:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
You're in canada right? Im in UK :undecided:...

On the pipex site i see nothing about a static IP, and someone i know has them, he doesn't get a static ip :undecided:

Yes...Canada >_>
But Static IP isn't good if you have a router :P
RE: DSL ISPs by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
On the pipex site i see nothing about a static IP, and someone i know has them, he doesn't get a static ip
yeh my mate has pipex and he doesn't have a static ip either. he also says its rather slow. he has a 1mb connection, but we both agree that my 512kb is faster than his most of the time

[edit]
quote:
Originally posted by blade
But Static IP isn't good if you have a router
hows that ?
RE: DSL ISPs by kao on 07-03-2004 at 11:26 PM

Looking at Eclipse now, Vispa are too expensive really, Eclipse look and sound good, but waiting for some reviews :p

RE: DSL ISPs by .blade// on 07-04-2004 at 12:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
Originally posted by Kao
On the pipex site i see nothing about a static IP, and someone i know has them, he doesn't get a static ip
yeh my mate has pipex and he doesn't have a static ip either. he also says its rather slow. he has a 1mb connection, but we both agree that my 512kb is faster than his most of the time

[edit]
quote:
But Static IP isn't good if you have a router
hows that ?

Makes it shitloads harder to set up and can cause problems sometimes...
RE: DSL ISPs by toddy on 07-04-2004 at 12:26 AM

quote:
well i set up my router with my static ip with no problems
RE: DSL ISPs by .blade// on 07-04-2004 at 12:59 AM

quote:
quote:
well i set up my router with my static ip with no problems

maybe just my shitload excuse for one then :P
RE: DSL ISPs by Garndell on 07-04-2004 at 02:12 AM

I had no issues setting up my Router, I have a good working knowledge of them but even my mum could do it.  If you do get any troubles setting up a router (if you get one) let me know which maker & model & i'll help you through it.

RE: DSL ISPs by toddy on 07-04-2004 at 02:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
I had no issues setting up my Router, I have a good working knowledge of them but even my mum could do it.  If you do get any troubles setting up a router (if you get one) let me know which maker & model & i'll help you through it.

well saying that i do have a problem with mine. i can't remeber the password ! lol hope i never need to change anything

RE: DSL ISPs by Garndell on 07-04-2004 at 06:58 AM

If you read the manual it will tell you how to Reset your Router ;)  That of course should be a last resort.  Try to think of what your pass MAY have been.

As you say "hope i never need to change anything" you got nothing to worry about UNTIl you gotta change something :D

RE: DSL ISPs by toddy on 07-04-2004 at 07:01 AM

quote:
If you read the manual it will tell you how to Reset your Router ;)  That of course should be a last resort.  Try to think of what your pass MAY have been.

As you say "hope i never need to change anything" you got nothing to worry about UNTIl you gotta change something :D
i don't have a clue where the manual is ? and i forgot to change the password and user name, so i have got no clue what there are. but at the min i don't need them so its not bothering me 2much

RE: DSL ISPs by Dan0208 on 07-04-2004 at 07:25 AM

isnt the default password and username commonly for things like this

Username: Admin
Password: Password

at least for somethings but this might not help u...

RE: DSL ISPs by toddy on 07-04-2004 at 07:28 AM

yeh that is normally the case, but i tryed all things like that a while ago. none of them seem to work

RE: DSL ISPs by toddy on 07-04-2004 at 08:26 AM

the quotes have messed up, u have got garndell quote saying what i said

RE: DSL ISPs by Garndell on 07-04-2004 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
quote:
yeh that is normally the case, but i tryed all things like that a while ago. none of them seem to work
Can you tell me then how to port forward on my router? (Intracom 500 i) :)
Good luck on finding what to do ;)
quote:
Try:
Username: admin
Password: admin
or
Username: password
Password: password

:S

Slightly mucked up quotes but this is what you need to read: http://www.portforward.com/intracom/jetspeed500.htm