Shoutbox

content.IE5 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: content.IE5 (/showthread.php?tid=28070)

content.IE5 by Weyzza on 07-03-2004 at 09:38 AM

How to delete all content in content.IE5 which is in Temporary Internet Files folder?
And how to delete index.dat?

I tried to search, but I didn't find any satisfying way :undecided:

RE: content.IE5 by KeyStorm on 07-03-2004 at 09:49 AM

You don't need to delete them manually:
Go to Internet Options and in the general tab you'll see a button do delete you temporary stored contents. As well as cookies or history.

index.dat is used and needed by internet explorer, since it tells IE what the folder contains without having to browse it. Once you delete all files and open Internet Explorer, index.dat should be changed to show the real contents stored in there, ie becomes a sort of blank file.

RE: content.IE5 by Weyzza on 07-03-2004 at 10:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Go to Internet Options and in the general tab you'll see a button do delete you temporary stored contents. As well as cookies or history.
That way only deletes files in Temporary Internet Files folder. Not in content.IE5. Some folders' names are 2PZCHGRI, 4A1WPK7W, etc.
quote:

index.dat is used and needed by internet explorer, since it tells IE what the folder contains without having to browse it. Once you delete all files and open Internet Explorer, index.dat should be changed to show the real contents stored in there, ie becomes a sort of blank file.
I thought index.dat stored all addresses that we visited :S
RE: content.IE5 by CookieRevised on 07-03-2004 at 10:10 AM

you can delete the entire contents of content.IE5 (including those subdirs and index.dat). But make sure you don't have any browser windows open or you wont be able to delete them....

RE: content.IE5 by KeyStorm on 07-03-2004 at 10:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
I thought index.dat stored all addresses that we visited :S

Iirc, it stores all URLs with cached contents. It tells IE to use certain contents cached when visiting a certain URLs. When nothing is cached, the file is refreshed. Or it could get really huge otherwise, don't you think? ;)

RE: content.IE5 by CookieRevised on 07-03-2004 at 10:13 AM

quote:
I thought index.dat stored all addresses that we visited
No, that's stored in C:\Documents and Settings\<your_login>\Local Settings\history (thats in XP and only if you didn't alter where the directory is)
RE: content.IE5 by Weyzza on 07-03-2004 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
you can delete the entire contents of content.IE5 (including those subdirs and index.dat). But make sure you don't have any browser windows open or you wont be able to delete them....
:(
Nope...
It didn't work. I even restarted the computer. Some files, like .jpgs or .gifs, could be removed but some couldn't.
I'm talking the folders in C:\Documents and Settings\<computer_name>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 in case we are talking about different folder :p
quote:
Iirc, it stores all URLs with cached contents. It tells IE to use certain contents cached when visiting a certain URLs. When nothing is cached, the file is refreshed. Or it could get really huge otherwise, don't you think? ;)
quote:
No, that's stored in C:\Documents and Settings\<your_login>\Local Settings\history (thats in XP and only if you didn't alter where the directory is)
I knew that :p
I mean index. dat stores website addresses that we visited from a certain time. I periodically delete the history which is in C:\Documents and Settings\<your_login>\Local Settings\history, but I still can see the addresses that I visited in index.dat.
Just found out the trick. Just zip the index.dat and open the compressed file.
RE: content.IE5 by KeyStorm on 07-03-2004 at 10:32 AM

Why don't you disable caching and historying?
You would avoid much useless work. :-/

RE: RE: content.IE5 by CookieRevised on 07-03-2004 at 10:38 AM

quote:
quote:
:(
Nope...
It didn't work. I even restarted the computer. Some files, like .jpgs or .gifs, could be removed but some couldn't.
That's because some files are still used by some process (your browser and/or explorer).

quote:
I'm talking the folders in C:\Documents and Settings\<computer_name>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
me too

quote:
I mean index.dat stores website addresses that we visited from a certain time. I periodically delete the history which is in C:\Documents and Settings\<your_login>\Local Settings\history, but I still can see the addresses that I visited in index.dat.
It's what KeyStorm has said about it....

quote:
Just found out the trick. Just zip the index.dat and open the compressed file.
erm, you can simply open index.dat with notepad or anything else, provided it isn't locked by any process.
You don't need to zip it if you can't open it, just copy it and open the copy.... (and that goes for almost any locked file)
RE: content.IE5 by Weyzza on 07-03-2004 at 10:39 AM

quote:
Why don't you disable caching and historying?
You would avoid much useless work. :-/

:gfdrin:
How to do it?

I use Avant, and I set the browser to clear cookie and temp. internet files everytime I exit the browser.

Cookie: Dang, you're right.
* Weyzza slaps the website that gave that information around a bit with a large trout.

Edit2:
I was thinking to delete it from safe mode. It's F8, isn't it? But when I tried to do that, it asked what drive I wanted to boot from :-/
RE: content.IE5 by KeyStorm on 07-03-2004 at 10:47 AM

Avant uses Internet Explorer engine, doesn't it?
So go to Internet Options >General >Temporary Internet Files > Configure >
- "Check if there are new versions..." > Never
- 1MB

Then go back, "Delete files..."
History > 0 days

It's not really disablñing both, but it's a good start.

RE: content.IE5 by jren207 on 07-03-2004 at 08:51 PM

In win XP use the disk cleanup tool found at,

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools

You can also clean up other stuff too :P

There really isn't any point deleting the folders and the index.dat file as IE will create them again. The Disk Clean up tool will empty the contents of them. And having this speeds up browsing because your computer doesn't have to re-download the pics and flash files etc. again.

And a tip: If you use programs to copy other ppls display pics, make sure you use em before you clean up the temp internet files as all disp pics are stored in zipped files in that folder ;)

RE: content.IE5 by CookieRevised on 07-04-2004 at 02:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
There really isn't any point deleting the folders and the index.dat file as IE will create them again.
There is a BIG point: cleaning up your cache and clean your disk of many unused files and free some space...

And if he is using a MSIE-compatble browser, he better can set his cache-settings correctly like KeyStorm suggested, so he doesn't have to use tools like Disk Cleanup in the first place...
(this goes actualy for any browser)

quote:
....as all disp pics are stored in zipped files in that folder
No, they are not stored as zipfiles, they are stored as normal PNG files (they are just renamed to *.BIN)....

RE: RE: content.IE5 by Fredzz on 07-04-2004 at 09:35 AM

quote:
Avant uses Internet Explorer engine, doesn't it?
So go to Internet Options >General >Temporary Internet Files > Configure >
- "Check if there are new versions..." > Never
- 1MB

Then go back, "Delete files..."
History > 0 days

It's not really disablñing both, but it's a good start.

it uses internet explorer in some part of it..but deleting records i dont think so.. 8-)
RE: content.IE5 by KeyStorm on 07-04-2004 at 10:22 AM

Well, just take a look at Avant's user agent and convince yourself.

code:
- Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Avant Browser [avantbrowser.com])
- Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; Avant Browser [avantbrowser.com])

User agent: Is the information string sent by the browser about itself for being identified by the server. It usually doesn't matter, but you some sites solve compatibility issue this way or detect any unsupported browser this way.

Avant is just like an add-on/enhancer of MSIE using thus its internal configurations. In this case, and as it uses "Temporary Internet Files" and "Content.IE5" we can reckon the use of the MSIE caching system.

RE: content.IE5 by jren207 on 07-04-2004 at 02:15 PM

quote:
There really isn't any point deleting the folders and the index.dat file as IE will create them again.

I mean you should clear the stuff in the folders but there is no point actually deleting the folders.

I remember now, the disp pics aren't in zip files, it's jus that stuffit handles them files as well as zip files so I get confused :S .
RE: content.IE5 by CookieRevised on 07-04-2004 at 03:22 PM

quote:
I mean you should clear the stuff in the folders but there is no point actually deleting the folders.
actually, there is... sometimes the old subfolders aren't used anymore and new folders are created and thus leaving the old ones there to ermmm rot away :D
RE: content.IE5 by jren207 on 07-04-2004 at 03:25 PM

lol ok

RE: content.IE5 by Weyzza on 07-19-2004 at 05:10 AM

It's been a while but I still can't delete those folders in content.ie5.
Therefore, I attached a screen shot of task manager and ask you guys if you see any programs that prevent the folders from being deleted :)

Thanks.

RE: content.IE5 by jren207 on 07-19-2004 at 08:08 PM

explorer.exe may be stopping it as explorer is linked with Internet Explorer (which you may have been using before you were trying to delete the folders). Restarting your PC and not launching IE might allow you to do it.

RE: content.IE5 by Weyzza on 07-21-2004 at 06:28 AM

quote:
Restarting your PC and not launching IE might allow you to do it.
Did that.
Actually, I took the screenshot right after restarting my PC.

I also tried to delete it from safe mode, but it didn't work :(