Shoutbox

Mozilla to charge money? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Mozilla to charge money? (/showthread.php?tid=28106)

Mozilla to charge money? by .blade// on 07-04-2004 at 05:22 AM

Well there's something that's been bothering me since I downloaded FF 0.8 a couple months ago....the site says this:

quote:
Originally posted by Firefox's Website
Firefox 0.9.1 is the award winning preview of Mozilla's next generation browser. Firefox empowers you to browse faster, more safely and efficiently than with any other browser. Press Release.

What bothers me is the "preview of Mozilla's next generation browser." part...

Preview would indicate that it's just a sample of the full version (if this is true then :refuck: I am sticking with the free one :P) or that it will cost money after beta is over (maybe a line of code in the browser making it so it will not function after Mozilla sends a disable message or something to ff....)

What do you guys think? I mean I know Mozilla has be free, and their site is .org....but wouldn't you pay for such an awesome browser? Things can change... for example, if you go to mozilla.com it re-directs you to the .org site....so they can just change over to a .com when they start charging >_>

Whether it will cost money or not, in the mean time:

[Image: header.png]
RE: Mozilla to charge money? by WDZ on 07-04-2004 at 05:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
Preview would indicate that it's just a sample of the full version
WTF? :p

Maybe it's like a release candidate? A beta? :rolleyes:
RE: Mozilla to charge money? by ~INVASION~ on 07-04-2004 at 05:51 AM

PFFFFFF W/E  i dont use firefox anyways

wats so good about it???

RE: Mozilla to charge money? by .blade// on 07-04-2004 at 06:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
WTF? :p

Maybe it's like a release candidate? A beta? :rolleyes:

I said that...
quote:
or that it will cost money after beta is over (maybe a line of code in the browser making it so it will not function after Mozilla sends a disable message or something to ff....)
see? :P

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
or that it will cost money after beta is over (maybe a line of code in the browser making it so it will not function after Mozilla sends a disable message or something to ff....)

you should, it's good :P
RE: Mozilla to charge money? by surfichris on 07-04-2004 at 06:43 AM

quote:
What bothers me is the "preview of Mozilla's next generation browser." part...

Its a technology preview of the Mozilla suite, a separate component from the suite.. Its also not a final release (beta/rc/etc) so its still called a preview.

Mozilla and all Mozilla applications will always be free as they are supporters of the open source foundation.
RE: Mozilla to charge money? by Kryptonate on 07-04-2004 at 10:20 AM

They would never charge money for it, if they would, would they release the source code for it? ;-).

RE: Mozilla to charge money? by KeyStorm on 07-04-2004 at 10:50 AM

Well, if you don't read further about Mozilla you can't know it's open source. Despite, you end up posting spammy threads. And everyone blames you.

It's the game of life... *cough:spam:cough*

If they ever release a commercial package you can download the source and compile it on your own. :refuck:
Just like you do with Linux distributions. They even distribute pre-compiled packages...:o impressing, he?

RE: Mozilla to charge money? by Stigmata on 07-04-2004 at 11:42 AM

wtf :S how i cant see how u come to that conclusion

firefox main aim is basicly to be better then ie

i very much doubt that they will make u pay

RE: Mozilla to charge money? by RaceProUK on 07-04-2004 at 02:29 PM

FireFox (and all other Mozilla projects) will always be available for free downloads, but they do offer the option of buying a CD with the software on.

RE: Mozilla to charge money? by bach_m on 07-04-2004 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe

i very much doubt that they will make u pay

i %100 percent doubt it. like has been said before, its Open source software, now and forever. If you bothered to read the Mozilla FOundation Licence, u'd see that.....

and its a Technology Preview because it still isn't an actual release, in that it has yet to hit version 1.0..............
RE: Mozilla to charge money? by .blade// on 07-04-2004 at 04:17 PM

I know that Mozilla is open source...but it still bothers me....>_>

I mean things can change...e.g. you get the program for $__.00 and you get the source code with it...

RE: Mozilla to charge money? by bach_m on 07-04-2004 at 05:29 PM

quote:

I mean things can change.

no.... have u read the Mozilla FOundation Licence?

the source code must be made avalable for each subsequent version of the software, so it will ALWAYS BE FREE
RE: Mozilla to charge money? by Anubis on 07-04-2004 at 05:57 PM

I think they only say "preview" as a kind of marketing mentality...the fact that you are getting a preview suggests that you are getting a sneak peak into something subconsciously ,even though you're not...
As long as Mozilla is open Source it will have to be free...and with Mozilla's philosophy being almost the same as Linux's, I can't see them charging money

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
PFFFFFF W/E  i dont use firefox anyways

wats so good about it???
Please don't spam up this thread...If you don't care about any software yourself try to realise that everyone doesn't think what you think and other people do actually care...secondly its one of the fastest browsers around, highly skinable, the browser with the best animated gif support and totally customisable for n00bs as well as advanced users...I assume you use Internet Explorer, and I also assume you've never used Firefox, may I suggest that you do try it out for size at least...just so you can realise if you like it or not...
RE: Mozilla to charge money? by dotNorma on 07-04-2004 at 08:06 PM

I seriously dought that the Mozilla Foundation would charge for any of their products. :-/

For one they are huge supporters of the open source thing. And there are no commertial browsers (that I know of). Nobody is going to use a commertial browser when there are so many free ones. Preveiw just means its a release candidate. Besides , People already have seen the code and teqniques and it would be very simple to recreate the browser and people would use the recreation. Mozilla won't and pretty much can't charge.

RE: Mozilla to charge money? by bach_m on 07-04-2004 at 08:10 PM

there are paid browsers. well, a browser with an add in it that u must pay to remove. Opera.....

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Nobody is going to use a commertial browser when there are so many free ones.
thats what i would think....
RE: Mozilla to charge money? by mad_onion on 07-04-2004 at 08:41 PM

pay for a browser!!!:o
i can't see any company being stupid enough to make people pay for an internet browser. no i dont think mozilla will make people pay for it.
ive never used it but i cant see that mozilla or any other browser could be that much better than Internet Explorer that it justifies payment. imean when it come down to it there are all pretty samey.

RE: Mozilla to charge money? by bach_m on 07-04-2004 at 09:19 PM

ahem....

tabbs, extensions, themes, opensource, find as you type, mycroft plugins sidebar.....

must i go on?

RE: Mozilla to charge money? by KeyStorm on 07-04-2004 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
i can't see any company being stupid enough to make people pay for an internet browser.

Ahum... Opera? :rolleyes:
RE: Mozilla to charge money? by CookieRevised on 07-05-2004 at 12:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
I think they only say "preview" as a kind of marketing mentality............
No... Chris Boulton already gave the correct answer to that.... don't speculate any further and read the sentence again and take note that "FireFox" and "Mozilla" are two different things:
Firefox 0.9.1 is the award winning preview of Mozilla's next generation browser.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Its a technology preview of the Mozilla Suite, a separate component from the suite.. Its also not a final release (beta/rc/etc) so its still called a preview.
=> putted in another way:
The Mozilla Suite is a package which consists of a mailprogram, a browser, etc... That browser inside the Mozilla Suite is Firefox. Thus Firefox is a preview of the look, the feel and the technology of the whole Mozilla package....

RE: Mozilla to charge money? by MonkeyHood on 07-05-2004 at 04:09 AM

I agree with anubis.  Mozilla is much better.  I used to have an ME  operating system with IE 5.  OMG that was hell.  It crashed for no reason sometimes.  I'll just leave my computer for 30 minutes and when i get back I click on the browser and OH NO!  It's frozen.  From doing nothing!  When I tried Mozilla i was instantly hooked.  There was no popups, there was tabs so I could open up lots of "windows" and not hav a cluttered dock bar (whatever you call that thing usuallyon the bottom).  There extension like all-in-one-mouse-gestures.  Also the GUI is much nicer to look at while being easier to use too.  Not to mention that it is a lot more customizable and has neat features that IE doesn't.  IE (I'm going to quote my friend here) does what it's paid to do.  It's just not paid well.

RE: RE: Mozilla to charge money? by user2319 on 07-05-2004 at 06:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
pay for a browser!!!:o
i can't see any company being stupid enough to make people pay for an internet browser. no i dont think mozilla will make people pay for it.
ive never used it but i cant see that mozilla or any other browser could be that much better than Internet Explorer that it justifies payment. imean when it come down to it there are all pretty samey.

If you've never used Mozilla FireFox or Opera, the decent© browsers, then STFU, and go use one of them. And you are paying for Windows+IE+Outlook+lots of bugs©+more useless things©+instantly virus infected© technology+more crap© = Microsoft Windoze© XP. So you're still paying for a browser, while there are way better alternatives, and one of them is even free.

And why is it already said 2109541785 times, but does noone understand it yet, Mozilla is open-source. It is release under a special license, and that cannot be undone, so it will always be open-source. New versions can be released in a not-open source way, but only if everyone who ever wrote code agrees, and then the old versions will still be open-source.

Stupid thread, Mozilla will never be paid software. And with technology preview, they mean that it has not reached the 1.0 milestone yet. Mozilla is taking browser and e-mail program and I-don't-know-what apart, and while they're not done, FireFox is in beta, so it is a "preview". It's still a good browser though, and btw they could just as well have called it version 9.0 instead of 0.9, that's their choice. They decided that there are special goals that have to be reached before it is called 1.0.