Shoutbox

PC monitor messes up - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: PC monitor messes up (/showthread.php?tid=28109)

PC monitor messes up by tomfletcherman on 07-04-2004 at 07:10 AM

The first time I turn on my pc everyday the bootscreen looks dodgyand when windows has started it looks like the attatchemnt, 800x600 extremely flickery poor quality that only goes away when I reboot the computer. How do I get rid of this?

RE: PC monitor messes up by KeyStorm on 07-04-2004 at 08:49 AM

It looks like your graphic card connection is messed up (for all that flickering) or and internal failre (for ignoring the drivers and setting itself to 800x600).
Anyway, you should try to unplug and plug again the card and the cable. And probably change the graphic card. It could be as well your monitor. Test other cards/monitos top find where the error is. It might be the cable aswell, but it's unlikely. Be aware anyway ;).

RE: PC monitor messes up by tomfletcherman on 07-04-2004 at 10:23 AM

Thanks, hope nothing has fried in there though. My graphics card has its own fan on and my pc gets no physical abuse. Could well be the monitor, but why only on reboot should it become normal again. I'll open it up later and have a look.

RE: PC monitor messes up by tomfletcherman on 07-04-2004 at 01:02 PM

Swapped monitors with my old pc, and it still happens:( Seems to happen every otehr time I turn on my computer. Looked inside and everything seems fine, and fitted a DVD drive, and thats all ok, but the screen is still screwing up.

RE: PC monitor messes up by matty on 07-04-2004 at 01:26 PM

How long will it take the fuzziness to go away? (Like after you have turned on the computer)

RE: PC monitor messes up by tomfletcherman on 07-04-2004 at 01:37 PM

It doesn't go away, the screen resolution and poor quality stay, so then I reboot the computer and everything is fine again. Possible virus or not aswell? Personally after swapping monitors I'd guess it was my graphics card like KeyStorm said, but it looked ok when I looked at it.

RE: PC monitor messes up by KeyStorm on 07-04-2004 at 09:38 PM

The resolution issue is usually due to a corrupted driver or a bug in any app using it.

But that fuzziness... Makesme think of the worst. I'm certainly sure it's the graphics card.
Did you swap the VGA cable? (Marginal possibility, but still possible :P).

RE: PC monitor messes up by Choli on 07-04-2004 at 09:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
The resolution issue is usually due to a corrupted driver or a bug in any app using it.
exactly. Try to reinstall the drivers of the graphics card. Also make sure that none of the programs running is set to run in compatibility mode with 256 colors or 640*480 etc...
quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
800x600
it seems to me 640x480
RE: PC monitor messes up by s7a5 on 07-05-2004 at 01:48 AM

increase the frequency
properties>settings>advanced
and put supported by your monitor and video card frequency rate
not sure tho but try

RE: PC monitor messes up by KeyStorm on 07-05-2004 at 10:21 AM

Anyway, I'm afraid the flickering is not cauuse neither by the driver nor by anyconfiguration. IMO, there is something broken in the graphics card. I'm afraid you'll have to buy a new one... :-/

RE: PC monitor messes up by tomfletcherman on 07-05-2004 at 05:12 PM

O dear:( I think I can get my dad to go buy one lol. Thanks for all your help, when I have some time i'll have a muck around inside the box.

offtopic1: my school sent us home letters about USB pens, its £32 for a 256mb pen, how cheap is that, sahme its got our school logo on it:(

offtopic2: i fitted a DVD drive but it isn't shopwing up in my computer, how do I get that to work?

RE: PC monitor messes up by Choli on 07-05-2004 at 05:32 PM

quote:
offtopic1: my school sent us home letters about USB pens, its £32 for a 256mb pen, how cheap is that, sahme its got our school logo on it
here you can have one of those 256 Mb pen for 72 € (how much is £1? :P)
quote:
i fitted a DVD drive but it isn't shopwing up in my computer, how do I get that to work?
are all the cables plugged?:-/
RE: PC monitor messes up by tomfletcherman on 07-23-2004 at 08:03 AM

Done it all now, just got given an old graphics card that works fine and set my CD writer drive to master so now both drives work:D

thanks for all your help,

tom

RE: RE: PC monitor messes up [OFFTOPIC] by CookieRevised on 07-23-2004 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
quote:
offtopic1: my school sent us home letters about USB pens, its £32 for a 256mb pen, how cheap is that, sahme its got our school logo on it
here you can have one of those 256 Mb pen for 72 € (how much is £1? :P)
£1 = €1.51
£32 = €48.38

http://www.xe.com/

RE: PC monitor messes up by tomfletcherman on 07-24-2004 at 12:39 PM

So it is cheap:D, but my parents wont get me one cos I already have one:( which kinda explains why I dont need one...:S

RE: PC monitor messes up by Maniac on 07-24-2004 at 12:53 PM

Well if you have one what's the point of guetting one? :dodgy:

and talking about graphic cards.... can't wait for my nVidia FX 5900 :banana: