Shoutbox

Put Contacts on Desktop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Put Contacts on Desktop (/showthread.php?tid=28226)

Put Contacts on Desktop by Ro@dKill on 07-06-2004 at 12:44 PM

Hi all,
I was looking at my good old ICQ (not that i use it much) but there is however one very cool feature there.
One thing that has always been a bit stupid about MSN is the fact that IF you want to send a message you first have to open the menu, click on the contact and then type the message.
In ICQ you have the option to pull one or more Contacts onto your Desktop. Then if they send you a message you can set it to open the message-menu or just blink on the desktop. If you want to send a message you just right-click on the Desktop-Contact and then type the message.

My question is if this can be done in MSN or if somebody can make it work.

Thanx,

Ro@dKill

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by tomfletcherman on 07-06-2004 at 06:44 PM

I'd love that! Everyone would use that feature. You could probably implement it in VB using a shortcut to a program, like jnrzloader does...

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by Ro@dKill on 07-06-2004 at 07:04 PM

I thought so. However since im not the programming wizard of the world, I kind of hoped that somebody here (who knows how to do it) would also think that it was a great idea and maybe make it for all of us :D

So if you know somebody or hopefully somebody is reading this thread, then we can hope that soon we will have this great feature.

Ro@dKill

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by Mike on 07-06-2004 at 10:00 PM

Hmmm...
I guess i can make it...
But I have to use the messenger api.
Which it does not work on all computers :S

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by Patchou on 07-07-2004 at 01:59 AM

I'm currently adding this feature in Plus!, it will be there in the next release.

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by ddunk on 07-07-2004 at 03:25 AM

I think it's like where you can create an icon on your desktop to open a convo window with that specific contact.

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by Ro@dKill on 07-07-2004 at 09:37 AM

I looked around on ICQ's page to see if i could find out how to explain it. I found this:

They call it "Floating"

"Floating" On - You may use the Floating option with specific users on your Contact List, so their names appear to be floating wherever you place them on your desktop.

I think it only works in they Full-version but i will try to install it and make a screenshot just to make it 100% clear :)

Ro@dKill

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by (CyBeRDuDe) on 07-07-2004 at 02:26 PM

Ok... so it's not like a Shortcut to some program with a commandline defining which contact U want to talk to?...

Patchou!!! U litle ***** :D:D... I was going to do that!! :P..... but ok, if U are already making it, then cool... :D:D... U are doing the way that I wrote (A "shortcut" U can put on the desktop or in a folder or in the "Quick Start Panel" or anything like that, and then when U start that "Shortcut" msg plus will make sure that the conversation window with that contact will popup?)..

Ro@adkill: I am still not sure wheater I get it or not... :S... Will U post a screenshot soon?.... The way I understand what U are talking about is something like this:

That U can "Take out" the contact from the contact list and put that person in a seperate window, only the name of course, so that person can "Stay on the desktop", not like an icon but like a floating window?, and then U can minimize MSN messenger, and that contact's name will still be avaible to mouseclick on to do a conversation with him????... am I getting it right?, this would be possibile, and infact a really cool idea... :D... maybe i'll try to do/add that....

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by Ro@dKill on 07-07-2004 at 03:13 PM

Here is what i mean.

You can drag 'n' drop the contact and place the where ever you want on the desktop.

the colour show that STATUS each contact has. IF you want to send a message you just double-click on the contact and you get the message-window. IF you right-click you get the menu just like in MSN.

IF a contact sends you a message the contact will start to blink or the message-window will open automatically dependin on you settings.

You can also select if you want the contact to "stay on top" or not.

I hope this give a better idea of what im talking about, if not let me know or U can try to install ICQ2003b and try it out. The LITE version doesnt have this feature.

Let me know,

Ro@dKill

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by (CyBeRDuDe) on 07-07-2004 at 05:01 PM

I might try to do this... :D:D....

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by Ro@dKill on 07-07-2004 at 05:25 PM

That would be nice :) I hope you understood what im talking about. When i was using ICQ alot this was one of the best features there. It gives you a way to arrange your most used contacts and also you dont have to first open the MSN to send a quick message which is one of the main points of this kind of tools "to be Quick" ;)

Ro@dKill

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by Phrive on 07-07-2004 at 05:34 PM

that would be cool with nice little plus icons next to the ppl and i dnt know how hard it would be but maybe have if there online of offline or busy or wateva 2!

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by Dane on 07-07-2004 at 06:00 PM

:o, In the next version of plus!

Its a Beatufil Feature, although I think the Icon should be like an actual Icon on the desktop with the Plus! Logo above it :p.

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by YpR^ on 07-20-2004 at 11:56 AM

In progress ? :)

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by Tochjo on 07-20-2004 at 12:00 PM

Seeing as Patchou said he'd add it in the next release, I don't think any plug-in developers are currently working on it. The next release date hasn't been set yet :)

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by Ro@dKill on 07-20-2004 at 12:13 PM

I dont know if anybody has started working on this. However in a previous post it was mentioned that Patchou was already working on this. I guess he will be able to give an update.

Then just a small comment to the icon on the desktop. I think that it would be just fine if the status-icon was the same as in the "normal" MSN window. I dont think there is any reason to introduce a new icon. Of cause I will leave that up to the people making the feature :)

Ro@dKill

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by Alpha Binary on 07-20-2004 at 02:09 PM

nah... it could be more useful if they just make it like normal windows icons so you can put it in quick launch, start menu, assign keyboard shortcut and whatever..

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by YpR^ on 07-20-2004 at 02:12 PM

uhh uhhh - Can't wait :D

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by matty on 07-20-2004 at 02:20 PM

If it is going to be kinda like the Floating On - Feature of ICQ, Patchou will you be adding the Grouping feature? Example you drag on contact onto the other and it becomes a Floating Group?

RE: Put Contacts on Desktop by Ro@dKill on 07-20-2004 at 05:21 PM

Maybe Alpha B, that could be a good thing also. However I personally dont have the big need of having more icons on my desktop, but maybe the smart developers can make it as an option so you can select if you just want then MSN-icon or if you want to have Icons.

Ro@dKill