Shoutbox

Do you donate to software developers? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Do you donate to software developers? (/showthread.php?tid=28360)

Do you donate to software developers? by saralk on 07-08-2004 at 07:01 PM

I was just wondering, do you donate to people who create free software, and have a donate button?

I do simply because i like the software, and I want the person to develop the software further, and like thinking that my $5 is really helping the developer.

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by GiantSpider on 07-08-2004 at 07:16 PM

Well I would if i had means of giving the money. Which makes me feel guilty about not giving them it.

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by kao on 07-08-2004 at 07:40 PM

No, because i dont have a way to actually give money over the internet without mum's credit card, which isn't given to me without a fight :(

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by wj on 07-08-2004 at 08:33 PM

No, Just because I created free software for some 3 years and never saw a pennie.

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by Wabz on 07-09-2004 at 01:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
No, Just because I created free software for some 3 years and never saw a pennie.

what you make?

No I don't donate, I'm a poor student I'm afraid .  I tend to get all my software free, LMost actually legally.  Although I am keen on try before you buy.
RE: Do you donate to software developers? by RebelSean on 07-09-2004 at 01:47 PM

No I don't donate for free software, but I should anyways. I will tell ya the reason I don't donate.  I am a poor strugling college student and I have tons of loans to pay off, or I would gladly donate to the developers of the free software.

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by fluffy_lobster on 07-09-2004 at 02:26 PM

The only exception I've ever made is when I donated to Patchou, to emphasise my oppositon to using the sponsor as a means of support.  On the whole if someone writes a piece of software for free they aren't expecting money so I don't donete.

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by WDZ on 07-10-2004 at 02:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
Well I would if i had means of giving the money. Which makes me feel guilty about not giving them it.
Same here. In the future I will definitely support the developers of my favorite software... (y)
RE: Do you donate to software developers? by azn angel on 07-10-2004 at 03:56 AM

i dont have any money if i had money lying around that i wasnt gona spend yeh..but plus! is the only thing ive seen around worth donating to

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by Kafman on 07-11-2004 at 12:23 AM

I would donate, but no one in my family use a credit card, but I would like it.:)

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
I do simply because i like the software, and I want the person to develop the software further

That is one of my reasons too, for donate to a software developer

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by Dane on 07-11-2004 at 12:33 AM

I will definatly if I ever get a paypal account

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by dotNorma on 07-11-2004 at 01:54 AM

I would but then I have to get a credit card and my mom will wonder why on earth I want her credit card to give money to some guy over the internet. :p

But , I did buy some Plus! Merchandise :p

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by dom. on 07-11-2004 at 02:29 AM

No, and whats with all the lame excuses?

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by marissa on 07-11-2004 at 02:36 AM

no way of paying over the net...if i did i would have already bought my plus! t-shirt and a l337 t-shirt ¬¬

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by Pipish on 07-11-2004 at 04:07 AM

i dont donate simply cause i am 12 and i need a credit card to do it

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by saralk on 07-11-2004 at 10:35 AM

in the UK you can get a visa electron card, or a solo card (both debit cards) at 11

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by toddy on 07-11-2004 at 10:37 AM

quote:
in the UK you can get a visa electron card, or a solo card (both debit cards) at 11

but not many kid have any money

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by KnightieBoy on 07-11-2004 at 10:40 AM

no, but if I could..I would.. but to put it simple: I don't have any money and I will never have any money to spare cause I need it myself (and it's not for my fun, but for my phonebill,schoolbooks etc..)

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by saralk on 07-11-2004 at 10:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:

but not many kid have any money

pocket money?
RE: Do you donate to software developers? by Millenium_edition on 07-11-2004 at 12:34 PM

Never donated, probably because I don't have the ways to. Anyway I do click banners if asked, it helps without needing money.

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by Varish on 07-11-2004 at 12:39 PM

No, i never donated, TBH, i dont like payin for software's....also, i dont have my own money. :(

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by user27089 on 07-11-2004 at 12:45 PM

No, for one simple reason, i'm 14!!! and I cannot get a credit card!
I think that programmers should be sponsored anyway :p lol

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by JaymachRalTir on 07-11-2004 at 02:21 PM

I donate when it's just been my pay day and I'm in a good mood...but apart from that, no...if I'm not in a good mood then my money is all mine! Blah...though I have started to offer hosting for develepors if I like their programs :).

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by fluffy_lobster on 07-11-2004 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
No, for one simple reason, i'm 14!!! and I cannot get a credit card!
I think that programmers should be sponsored anyway :p lol
quote:

RE: Do you donate to software developers? by unknown2u on 07-13-2004 at 09:16 AM

Yes, but I have to REALLY like the program,.

RE: RE: Do you donate to software developers? by Maniac on 07-13-2004 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj

Well, i would guess you felt bad .... no? So why not donate and not have others feel the same way as you did.... or am i the only one that thinkgs like this? :dodgy:

:p

Anywyas, no i never did donate anything to anyone due to the lack of money, once i get PayPal i might donate if i have any and if it is really worth it.
RE: Do you donate to software developers? by theguy on 07-13-2004 at 02:55 PM

I don't because i'm young and don't often get money. I would if i did have money probably.