Shoutbox

VIRUS ALERT! Net Echo.exe! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: VIRUS ALERT! Net Echo.exe! (/showthread.php?tid=28375)

VIRUS ALERT! Net Echo.exe! by Dane on 07-08-2004 at 10:12 PM

Virus Alert!  PWSteal.Likget.A!

New MSN Messenger Virus is circulating under the filename "Net Echo.exe", it steals your password and reports it back to the creator.  Although the creator clearly f'ed up on the window and only a stupid person would enter there info, see the below link for more info.

Password Steal.Likget.A

RE: VIRUS ALERT! Net Echo.exe! by Mike on 07-09-2004 at 09:36 AM

[Image: pwsteal.likmet.a.2.gif]
That looks really fake.
The captions of the buttons are missing.
If you have XP you should see the buttons styled.
If you dont have XP you shouldnt see that combo box.
Also what about if you have your msn skinned?
And if your messenger isnt in english...?

RE: VIRUS ALERT! Net Echo.exe! by CookieRevised on 07-09-2004 at 10:29 AM

Except for the captions on the buttons, that box looks exactly like the original.....

The style from the buttons will adapt the Windows style (like all the other normal programs with manifests). Look at the first sshot on the site, it is the classic windows style....

Furthermore, the look and language doesn't depend on your (skinned) messenger. That box is part of the Windows OS, not Messenger! If Messenger is skinned, that box will still look the same.

You can have a French Messenger and a Dutch loginbox if you have a Dutch Windows OS and a French Messenger installed. Also note that most users are (what we call) n00bs compared to the general userbase and it's them who suffer the most from such viri because of lack of knowledge. And they also aren't the people who skin there OS.....

RE: VIRUS ALERT! Net Echo.exe! by Dane on 07-10-2004 at 12:20 AM

Tis True.  The missing captions gives it away though!

RE: VIRUS ALERT! Net Echo.exe! by Mike on 07-10-2004 at 12:30 PM

And also the login window, doesnt have an icon :p

RE: VIRUS ALERT! Net Echo.exe! by KnightieBoy on 07-10-2004 at 12:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
And also the login window, doesnt have an icon :p
well too be honest.. except for the captions, I don't go searching for mistakes thinking 'hmm is this a real sign in box?' :P I think my friend has this virus.. I'll go check it this afternoon :P
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
You can have a French Messenger and a Dutch loginbox if you have a Dutch Windows OS and a French Messenger installed.
true, but in my eyes not logical.. (having french messenger on a dutch Windows OS) but that's my opinion :)
RE: VIRUS ALERT! Net Echo.exe! by CookieRevised on 07-10-2004 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KnightieBoy
true, but in my eyes not logical.. (having french messenger on a dutch Windows OS) but that's my opinion :)
hehehe yeah, but that was only a (bad) example.. What often occurs is an English OS and software in another language though... like English OS and Dutch Messenger or vice versa...