Shoutbox

Chat Log Password Being Changed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Chat Log Password Being Changed (/showthread.php?tid=28448)

Chat Log Password Being Changed by blink_182 on 07-10-2004 at 04:07 PM

Is anyone else's chat log passwords being stupid?? i've used the same password since i started and now when i try to open it, it says its the wrong password...then when i go into the messenger plus prefrences i change the password and it asks if i want to change the password from all my past log files...when i click yes it asks for the new password that i had just made, when i put in my new password it comes up with an error saying that its not a valid password...and it does the same thing when i try to un-encrypt them all...its driving me nuts and i really need into those log files...PLEASE HELP!!

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by CookieRevised on 07-10-2004 at 04:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blink_182
when i click yes it asks for the new password that i had just made, when i put in my new password it comes up with an error saying that its not a valid password...
It doesn't ask you for your new password, it asks you for the old password so it can decrypt the logs first before encrypting them again with the new (already set) password!...
RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by blink_182 on 07-10-2004 at 04:31 PM

no it doesn't, i've read it a million times and not that it would matter cause i've tried using the same password as my old one

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by CookieRevised on 07-10-2004 at 04:38 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=275430]

quote:
Please enter the password currently used in your logs. This is not your new password. Messenger Plus! needs your old password to decrypt or re-encrypt your logs.

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by blink_182 on 07-10-2004 at 04:39 PM

that still doesn't help me cause im using the same password

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by CookieRevised on 07-10-2004 at 04:50 PM

Apparently not, because:

quote:
i've used the same password since i started and now when i try to open it, it says its the wrong password...
So, even if you try to change it or not, the initional password that the logs are encrypted with is different.

You don't need to look any further in the preferences and try things if you can't open an encrypted log by double clicking on it in Windows Explorer.

So, either you have used another password (or typed it in another case? uppercase, lowercase?) or there is a bug... Iether way, we can't help you with anything about that...

sorry....
[no subject] by blink_182 on 07-10-2004 at 04:53 PM

hmmmm....well hell...its like someone has changed my password, but thats impossible cause theres no way anyone would know my old password, and if they did no one in my family would change it...it happened as soon as i downloaded messenger plus 3

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by CookieRevised on 07-10-2004 at 06:05 PM

Send a couple of your encrypted logs, together with the password for it to Patchou... If this is a bug (it is reported before though) he maybe can figure out what is wrong ;)

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by sjb on 07-11-2004 at 03:11 PM

i'm having the same problem, its not like all my chatlogs aren't opening just a few random ones here and there, but theres no pattern because someone who's chatlog i cant open from may, i can open from the june archive...

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by br0kebusta on 07-13-2004 at 08:26 AM

I'm also having the same problem..

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by blink_182 on 07-13-2004 at 05:24 PM

you told me to send my chat logs to that address thing but it kept sending my e-mails back to me saying it didn't deliver...i uninstalled messenger and reinstalled everything and it seems to be working perfectly fine now...sort of, i still lost all my conversations from when it was going all screwy, but its working okay now

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by matty on 07-14-2004 at 03:35 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it has been reported. When upgrading from Messenger Plus!2 to Plus!3 the password key somehow becomes corrupted (as far as I know) so most of the chatlogs will no longer work. Patchou is looking into the matter.

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by blink_182 on 07-14-2004 at 03:41 AM

all my old ones work....just any conversation i've had since i downloaded messenger plus 3 doesn't work, but now that i have changed the password back to what it was, any new conversation i have works...so luckily i only lost about a week of conversations...the way you make it sound is that any conversation from the past is now garbage, if that is the case then i consider myself very lucky

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by matty on 07-14-2004 at 03:53 AM

quote:
all my old ones work....just any conversation i've had since i downloaded messenger plus 3 doesn't work, but now that i have changed the password back to what it was, any new conversation i have works...so luckily i only lost about a week of conversations...the way you make it sound is that any conversation from the past is now garbage, if that is the case then i consider myself very lucky
If I am not mistaken and Patch correct me if I am wrong, most of the chat logs do become corrupted.
RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by blink_182 on 07-14-2004 at 04:00 AM

okay then i really consider myself lucky......im met this really great girl and now we talk a lot online, if i lost those conversations, i woulda snapped

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by Iv4n on 07-22-2004 at 04:37 AM

I'm having the same problem too...
Example:
I got my password1 then i changed the password for password2 and another directory, just to start loggin in my own folder and with another different password, it worked a while... but some time after they didnt, it says incorrect password, no matter if i use password1 or password2, it will say incorrect pass. and when i change it again, it says the same thing after a while... just to let u know that its happening to me too... thnx

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by Gweedo on 07-23-2004 at 02:14 AM

Mine's done this all too many times, in both version 3 and version 2, to just random logs. It also does stuff like make a new file like gweedo@gweedo.com1.ple. Sometimes it's a new file, sometimes it's the old log renamed and there's a new log under the right name. One or the other will have the password problem. It will happen in a time frame where nobody could have changed the password too. So it has to be a bug.

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by snow white on 07-27-2004 at 10:57 PM

I'm having a real problem.  I've always used the same password on all my messenger logs, and I haven't changed it at any time.  No one else has access to my pc, as it's heavily passworded.  But messenger plus keeps changing the password without any input from me.  I go back to a log, and it tells me the password is incorrect, even when I've double checked it.  I need to get back into some of those logs urgently.  I love messenger plus, but this is a huge problem, and one I've never encountered in the past.  It's nice to know it's not just me - I was starting to think I was going entirely insane!  The other thing I've noticed (which is probably in no way related) is that it doesn't ask me for my password when I sign in, and when I look at the preferences, that option is ticked, but greyed out.  Is it related?  I hope someone can come up with a fix soon, as I like to keep the files encrypted, but I still need access to them!  Thanks

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by Iv4n on 08-18-2004 at 05:13 PM

Hello, patchou, if u havent finded or fixed the bug heres is a solution, or something that can help u to find it, u can do a Messenger Plus that shows the password that its using in all the chats windows to encrypt log files, for example, in the caption, so if its changed from the original u will notice it, and see for what is it changing for... and send this MP to someone who has this problem, and someone that u believe and trust. Because it may be used for other purposes... :^)... well hope it helped, take care. Iv4n

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by blink_182 on 08-18-2004 at 05:18 PM

i found an easier way to find out if your password is changed...i use to have it automaticly remember my password when i sign in, but now i have it set up so that it asks for your password everytime you sign in, this way you will know if it has been changed BEFORE you start talking to people, and not after

RE: Chat Log Password Being Changed by Patchou on 08-18-2004 at 06:49 PM

It'S still on my todo list and I'm still terribly sorry for this problem... I hope I'll be able to find it and fix it for version 3.10. If I suceed, I'll post something on the forum about it. For now, I'm still clueless.