Shoutbox

My computer is becomming SLOW - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: My computer is becomming SLOW (/showthread.php?tid=28585)

My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-12-2004 at 09:06 PM

Alright.... i've been wanting some answers to some questions i have but i never got time to post them.... here i go! :p

A couple of months ago i had a really old sucky computer that ran as fast as the fastest snail on earth... it got on my nerves to an incredibally incredibal point (redundant? :p) so i got all fed up and decided to change it for a brand new one. When i got this one i was all hyper to see how good it was, here are its specs:

Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz
2.67 GHz (absolutely no idea what this is...)
256Mo Ram
80 Gig HD
64MB graphics card
blablabla
blabla
bla

Anyways, i was all happy, this computer was running like speedy gonzales.... it was perfect.... however, i've been using it a lot, and it's speed has gone down... DRASTICALLY.... to give you an idea, clicking start>>my computer takes 30-60 seconds to load.... no bs..... opening a program is HELL and switching between windows is as annoying as guetting melted ice cream all over you fingers and not having any tissue paper.... unless of course you like having half of FireFox mixed with a fourth of an msn window and a fourth of Windows Media Player....

So yea.... I'm sick of this :@

I ran defrag, scanned my computer for virus/spy/adware, it's clean there. Now i ran some searches on google and i found something on how the computer will use the HD instead of ram when that gets all clogged up.... now this is where another problem comes.... out of the 256 ram i constantly have less than 50 free I have now closed pretty much every program and i have 67 free..... I downloaded FreeRam Pro XP or whatever to solve this problem.... but it only frustrates me to see how much RAM is being used.... To try to solve THIS problem i went to the task manager and tried ot see which program was usign the most memory.... however i had no idea what most of the things were and decided to leave it alone....

Also (yes this is guetting long but it's not over yet ;)) my computer CONSTANTLY crashes, i have to reboot on average once every hour if i am using it.... internet just stops working.... and that's my first sign.... a coupld of seconds after that... pouf.... nothing works.... to solve this i thought about formatting my whole HD and re-installing XP.... however i can't do that because i have too many files and setting i can't save on a cd or anything (game saves, program preferences etc.....) so would it help if i ran the instal on "fix" or something.... if that even exists on XP?

Last but not least.... damn i forgot..... oh yeah..... is it possible that all these problems be comming from physical lack of ram? As in.... even with 256 ram should i add another lets say 256....? I prefer doing this then formatting my PC if i have the choice....

Now if you are still reading this and started at the beginning.... THANKS! Please help me....

Btw, miracle.... my computer hasn't crashed since i started writing..... or did i speak too fast? *quickly posts* :p

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Millenium_edition on 07-12-2004 at 09:12 PM

reformat is the best solution, even tough you don't want to. Don't buy new RAM. I believe that, alll those programs you installed (like Freeramxp and stuff. i'm not blaming freeramxp but i'm speaking in general) leave traces, and if uou don't uninstall them and if they use a specific loader... well then you've got a problem =/

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by lopardo on 07-13-2004 at 06:19 AM

Well, I would reinstall Windows. What programs did you install? I have a Pentium III 800 MHz with 256 MB of RAM, Windows XP, a lot of programs, and it still runs as smooth as the first day. I'd say you have installed too many dodgy programs (or device drivers)...

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by bach_m on 07-13-2004 at 11:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
I have a Pentium III 800 MHz with 256 MB of RAM, Windows XP and it still runs as smooth as the first day

mine too, but mines a P3 500, with 384Mb of ram.

the best upgrade possible is to ad more ram. a stick of 256, or even 512 if u can afford it would boost performance.

also, go through the add/remove programs list and get rid of things you don't need. heres a list of alot of processes. Run> services.msc> and disable the ones that are started that you don't like in there,

then run msconfig, and disable the things in the startup tab that are  for programs you don't use anymore, or ui just don't like.
RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-13-2004 at 12:54 PM

The problem is i don't have heaps of programs, i take care of my computer really well.... so i only have programs that I actually use.... :(

Anyways, i'll go over my programs and see if any are there that i don't use, then i'll run msconfig.... never did that before.... and i have a feeling it will help a little bit.

Leopardo, by reinstalling windows, do you mean erasing everything on my HD too? Or is it possible to just install over the old windows? (similar to how you can just upgrade from 98 to XP without losing anything....)

And bach_m do you have any idea on how much ram costs? Can i install it alone? And of course is any ram stick fine or are there different types for different pc's? (am i becoming annoying with all my questions? :$)

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by lizard.boy on 07-13-2004 at 01:12 PM

well you cant update windows xp but you can reinstall it without looseing everything. sorta. you can just delete the windows folder from ms-dos and reinstall but then you loose your regestry, but not your files. so basically you would have to reinstall all your programs that use the regestry and you loose anything set there by them :/

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Mike on 07-13-2004 at 01:19 PM

One thing you can do is to insert your win XP cd, and boot from it.
Then go to install windows and select to repair windows...
But that never helped me... :S
It caused me problems...

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-13-2004 at 01:28 PM

So there is a "repair" option....?

What kind of problems? :s

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Mike on 07-13-2004 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by VGProManiac
What kind of problems?
Well...
I was getting a 'blue screen' (it only had the windows icon and some blue) and it was saying "Setup is restarting......." and after that, it restarts the computer and then it does it again...
So it goes into an endless loop :S

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by saralk on 07-13-2004 at 05:00 PM

how about trying a system restore?

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-13-2004 at 05:51 PM

how about no :p You aparently didnt read the whole thing (i would expect every "normal" person not to read everything) I want to keep all my files :$

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by saralk on 07-13-2004 at 05:53 PM

well IIRC system restore doesnt roll back documents, on applications and settings

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-13-2004 at 05:54 PM

:S hmmmmm then wouldn't that be more like "repair" :s

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by saralk on 07-13-2004 at 06:08 PM

no, cos with system restore, you can restore back to specific time points

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Wabz on 07-13-2004 at 07:03 PM

Well tbh I personally think you've got excited and loaded loadsa crap..

Try something called Tuneup Utilities.  I swear by it.  I run Windows 2000 on a p3 650MHz and hardly ever get any problems unless i dont run it once every two weeks.  I also read a very good article on spyware at neowin which has helped amazingly well.

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-13-2004 at 11:20 PM

Wow.... Tuneup IS one hell of a program.... thanks for telling me about it! I now changed lots of stuff and my computer is becoming heaps faster. But everytime i am runningc ABC (Another Bittorent Client) my ram just empties out.... any ideas on any bittorent client that is as good or better that uses less memory?

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by illuzn on 07-14-2004 at 12:05 AM

i use bittornado... it works a treat http://bittornado.com/

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by lopardo on 07-14-2004 at 01:57 AM

Download this program, execute it and tells us what you see (CTRL+C). Maybe there's something at startup that shouldn't be there. Spyware can slow down your PC too, so be careful with that...

Buying more memory will help, but it's not necessary (so don't worry if you can't spend money on it, you said it was working fast before).

You can try reinstalling Windows over the current installation and then, if it doesn't solve the problem try making a fresh install (when nothing works this is the best solution, even if you have to reconfigure everything ).

I don't like programs like Tuneup, they tend to make more problems than solutions. I've never tried Tuneup, so I'm going to download it now and install it on a test machine. :)

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-17-2004 at 08:21 PM

Sorry to bring back this topic but i thought my problem was gone but it isn't....

It seems now that everytime i run ad-aware or spybot i find new spyware/adware, and whenever i run Norton i find new viruses..... now i have no idea where all of this is comming from, and i suspect it's simply my brother being careless, but just to make sure: Is it possible t o have some program on your computer that will keep on installing stuff like this?

And i ran Tuneup and everything looked fine, but today the computer became slow as hell again, just look at this (not sure what exactly this means but it looks bad :p) :

[Image: post-2-1090096378.jpg]

I pretty much got fed-up of all of this so if none of you know what i can do i guess i'll just get more ram and see if that works...

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Tochjo on 07-17-2004 at 08:39 PM

Your computer is using 100% CPU. This is most likely what causes it to be slow. Take a look at the Processus tab to see what exactly is causing it, then we might be able to provide more detailed support :)

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Sunshine on 07-17-2004 at 09:02 PM

Take a look at this page http://www.neowin.net/articles.php?action=more&id=81 , there's loads of tips on preventing adware/spyware gettin installed (u know it gets installed whilst surfin the web too without u knowin it, don't you?).

I followed most of the instructions/tips given an never get adware/spyware on my comp ;)

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-17-2004 at 09:03 PM

Ok, i was looking at the Processus Tab and couldn't really figure out if anything there was extra so i took a shot of it ;)

Click here: http://www.bbfree.com/VGProManiac/uploads/post-2-1090098721.jpg

I can't use the img tag the image is 1024*728 ;)

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by CookieRevised on 07-17-2004 at 09:10 PM

Now do as lopardo told you:

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
Download this program, execute it and tells us what you see (CTRL+C).
So run that program and take a screenshot (so we can see everything that it reports)...
RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-17-2004 at 09:52 PM

Damn computer! *shakes fist* i had to restart it so many times before i could get back on.... grrrr

Anyways, i had overlooked lopardo's post so i did that now, and sunshine i already read that article and i normally don't have lots of spyware, i'm guessing my brother just messed around too much .... he's gone today so if i don't get any new items found tomorrow then i'm fine ;)

Anyways here is what the program gave me:

quote:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify           
+ cscdll    Agent réseau hors connexion    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscdll.dll
+ ScCertProp    DLL commune de réception des notifications Winlogon    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wlnotify.dll
+ Schedule    DLL commune de réception des notifications Winlogon    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wlnotify.dll
+ SensLogn    DLL commune de réception des notifications Winlogon    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wlnotify.dll
+ termsrv    DLL commune de réception des notifications Winlogon    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wlnotify.dll
+ wlballoon    DLL commune de réception des notifications Winlogon    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wlnotify.dll
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit           
+ C:\Windows\System32\wsaupdater.exe            C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell           
+ Explorer.exe    Explorateur Windows    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run           
+ Advanced Tools Check    Norton AntiVirus Advanced Tools Integrity Checker    Symantec Corporation    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\AdvChk.exe
+ atqhct            C:\WINDOWS\atqhct.exe
+ BootSkin Startup Jobs    Stardock BootSkin!        C:\Program Files\Stardock\WinCustomize\BootSkin\BootSkin.exe
+ ccApp    Symantec Common Client User Session    Symantec Corporation    C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
+ dibqwkrmjltp            C:\WINDOWS\system32\gwhakdld.exe
+ MessengerPlus3    Messenger Plus!    Patchou    C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe
+ msbb    Search Assistant    180solutions, Inc.    c:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Local Settings\Temp\msbb.exe
+ mswspl            C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Application Data\dwnupdt.exe
+ NvCplDaemon    NVIDIA Display Properties Extension    NVIDIA Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvcpl.dll
+ RunDLL    bridge Module        C:\WINDOWS\system32\bridge.dll
+ SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics    SpeedTouch Statistics    THOMSON    C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\dragdiag.exe
+ Zone Labs Client    Zone Labs Client    Zone Labs Inc.    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components           
+ Carnet d'adresses 6    Bibliothèque d'installation Outlook Express    Microsoft Corporation    C:\Program Files\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\setup50.exe
+ Internet Explorer    Windows NT User Data Migration Tool    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\shmgrate.exe
+ Internet Explorer 6    Utilitaire d'installation individualisée de Internet Explorer    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ie4uinit.exe
+ Microsoft Outlook Express 6    Bibliothèque d'installation Outlook Express    Microsoft Corporation    C:\Program Files\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\setup50.exe
+ Microsoft Windows Media Player    Utilitaire d'installation du Lecteur Windows Media Microsoft    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe
+ Microsoft Windows Media Player    ADVPACK    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll
+ Mise à jour du Bureau Windows    Microsoft(C) Register Server    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
+ NetMeeting 3.01    ADVPACK    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll
+ Outlook Express    Windows NT User Data Migration Tool    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\shmgrate.exe
+ Personnalisation du navigateur    DLL de personnalisation de Microsoft Internet Explorer    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\iedkcs32.dll
+ Themes Setup    Microsoft(C) Register Server    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
+ Windows Messenger 4.7    ADVPACK    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Menu Démarrer\Programmes\Démarrage           
+ Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk    Adobe Gamma Loader    Adobe Systems, Inc.    C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Menu Démarrer\Programmes\Démarrage           
+ Winwall Autostart.lnk            C:\Program Files\Winwall\Winwall.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler           
+ Démon de cache des catégories de composant    Bibliothèque de l'interface utilisateur du navigateur    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\BROWSEUI.DLL
+ Pré-chargeur Browseui    Bibliothèque de l'interface utilisateur du navigateur    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\BROWSEUI.DLL
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad           
+ CDBurn    DLL commune du shell Windows    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
+ PostBootReminder    DLL commune du shell Windows    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
+ SysTray    Objet du service d'environnement Systray    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\stobject.dll
+ WebCheck    Contrôleur de site Web    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\webcheck.dll
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run           
+ AutoUpdate            C:\WINDOWS\scvhost.exe
+ ctfmon.exe    CTF Loader    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
+ MessengerPlus3    Messenger Plus!    Patchou    C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe
+ TuneUp MemOptimizer    TuneUp MemOptimizer    TuneUp Software GmbH    C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2004\MemOptimizer.exe
Task Scheduler           
+ Symantec NetDetect.job    Symantec NetDetect    Symantec Corporation    C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\NDETECT.EXE

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by lopardo on 07-18-2004 at 12:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit
+ C:\Windows\System32\wsaupdater.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe
Warning with this, it should be C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe
You need to modify your registry and be very careful, check this page

quote:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
+ atqhct C:\WINDOWS\atqhct.exe
+ dibqwkrmjltp C:\WINDOWS\system32\gwhakdld.exe

This doesn't look good, looks like a virus or something, update your antivirus and do a full scan.

quote:
+ msbb Search Assistant 180solutions, Inc. c:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Local Settings\Temp\msbb.exe

Spyware... check this page

quote:
+ mswspl C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Application Data\dwnupdt.exe
+ RunDLL bridge Module C:\WINDOWS\system32\bridge.dll

Check this page.

quote:
+ AutoUpdate C:\WINDOWS\scvhost.exe
This is surely a virus, the real one is called svchost.exe and is located under C:\Windows\System32\. Check this out.

So, the problem is you have spyware and viruses, they are slowing your PC down and are a security threat. Update your antivirus and make a full virus scan. In your case, after removing the viruses, I'd format my hard disk and install a fresh copy of Windows XP.
You have to be more careful when you download and install programs from the net, don't install everything and never open executables attachments from e-mails.
To keep it smooth, don't put a lot of programs to run at Windows startup. I personally hate Norton, it takes a lot of resources. I don't use any antivirus and haven't been infected, you just need to know what not to open. Also, keep your Windows updated, activate autoupdates or visit Windows Update regularly.
Some programs I'd suggest:
Spybot - Search & destroy
SpywareBlaster
RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 01:23 AM

I ran ad-aware 6 (pro) and Spybot after posting that, adaware found 49 new items... that's by far my record.... I also ran norton and that found 11 viruses but only deleted 2 :s im trying ot see if i can update it somehow....

btw, i am SUPER VERY careful at what i install, so i have NO idea where all of this is comming from....

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 02:22 PM

Sorry for the double post but i don't think an edit makes this thread have "new posts" and i just wanted some feedback. I just ran all these scans in safe mode and Norton was successful in guetting rid of everything, I also ran adaware and spybot and got rid of ad/spyware. Now when i posted the autoruns log above i didn't make the changes you said because i did the scans and thought that some of them might not be needed, anyways here is the new log i have:

http://www.bbfree.com/VGProManiac/index.php?act=A...h&type=post&id=164

Now the computer SEEMS to be running smoothly and normally, but i'm sure that in a couple of minutes it will get wacky again and piss me off. Now my burner isn't working so i can't backup my files on CD, i thought of taking my HD over to a friend's house and temporarly storing my files there (did something similar when i got my new pc) but he isn't here right now, so i got this new idea. I only have one partition in my whole HD.... would it be possible to somehow create an F drive... put all my files in there, format the C drive ONLY, reinstall windows XP, copy the files from F to C, then delete F (i guess i could keep F if i have to, this way i could do this again some other time if needed)

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by lopardo on 07-18-2004 at 05:17 PM

Everything seems to be OK in your log now. :)

quote:
Now the computer SEEMS to be running smoothly and normally, but i'm sure that in a couple of minutes it will get wacky again and piss me off.
Great :) Tell us if something doesn't work.

quote:
Now my burner isn't working so i can't backup my files on CD
What burning program are you using? Any error messages?

quote:
I only have one partition in my whole HD.... would it be possible to somehow create an F drive... put all my files in there, format the C drive ONLY, reinstall windows XP, copy the files from F to C, then delete F (i guess i could keep F if i have to, this way i could do this again some other time if needed)
It would be possible with Partition Magic, but I do not recommend it at all. If something goes wrong, you could loose all your data.
Wait until your friend comes back or give us more information about the CD recorder problem.
RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 05:28 PM

quote:
Everything seems to be OK in your log now. :)

Weehee :banana:

quote:
Great :) Tell us if something doesn't work.

Well, i've done soem pretty massive cleaning... so i really hope everything stays fine.

quote:
What burning program are you using? Any error messages?

It's not software-related, my burner doesn't seem to recognise it has a cd in it, i've had this problem before, i don't think i can fix it myself.

quote:
It would be possible with Partition Magic, but I do not recommend it at all. If something goes wrong, you could loose all your data.

Yeah i guess i won't use that..... freaky :p

Would a XP repair work? someone in this thread said they had a problem with it once? Would it be useful if i ran it just to fix around problems without uninstalling?

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by lopardo on 07-18-2004 at 05:53 PM

I was asking about what burning program you use because some of them cause trouble (there was a key in the registry, but I don't remember it... :@). I'd try removing the drive from System properties > Hardware > Device manager and rebooting.

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 07:25 PM

Well i don't have any burning program cause my burner isn't working ;) I could get anyone right now if you want me to test but my burner doesn't even recognize cd's.... ANY cd's....

:dodgy: burner

edit: .... looks like it's working :banana: i guess i'm gonna get nero or something now.... what do you guys suggest?

stops working right when i try to burn something :dodgy:

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by CookieRevised on 07-18-2004 at 08:23 PM

I suggest Nero, the best program there is, which let you tweak and setup every possible thing you can think of (and which your burner supports of course). There are many more user-friendly programs, but they all lack the things and options that you can do with Nero.

PS and sidenote: I'm actually glad that this has happend to you. Well not personaly, because that sucked bigtime, but it shows clearly that AutoRuns is better then programs like StartupPanel and such, because they wont show you all the startup keys often used by dodgy programs... So I hope other people are convinced now also.....

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 08:32 PM

Hehehe, yeah true ;)

Anyways i got nero, and yeah looks pretty sweet, now the problem is the burner seems to recognise only SOME cd's .... and sometimes it will read one and when i try again it won't.... and it never works with cd-r's..... time for a new burner :( I'm gonna hold off the "XP repair" til' I backup at least SOME files.... just in case :p

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by CookieRevised on 07-18-2004 at 08:41 PM

Oh yeah... forgot to say this... When you do a repair, you won't loose your programs (people are correct in saying that)... however, (and most people are forgetting to mention this) you will loose many settings from your programs because the registry will be partially erased/overwritten/fixed/whatever....

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by lopardo on 07-18-2004 at 10:01 PM

BTW, is it your recorder's fault? Have you tried it in another computer?

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 11:05 PM

Yeah, i tried it on another computer and it doesn't work, i think the lens is messed up or something, i'm probably gonna go get it checked tomorrow

CR, once again, very useful info you've given me.... if it will reset everythign i might as well format.... lol

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by lopardo on 07-18-2004 at 11:07 PM

Problem solved then :) (why do CD readers/recorders last so short? :dodgy:)

Glad I could help :)

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 11:33 PM

Yeah, i guess this thread can go off into the dark dark corners of these forums until i need help again. Thank you all of you, and special thanks to Lopardo and Cookie (y)

(h5)(h5)(h5)(h5)
:banana::banana::banana::banana:

To computer problems: :refuck:

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by kingboy on 07-19-2004 at 01:59 AM

not only would having lots of programs interfear with proformance, but having your hard drive full of stuff can slow your computer down alot to.:^)

ie: pics...movies...anything youve got on there

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by Maniac on 07-19-2004 at 02:39 AM

Yeah, I had tons of that, i went around cleaning and re-arraging everything :)

Right now i found a folder that is dodgy:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Application Data

Now that contains several folders of several programs.... but some i just uninstalled

Look at this screen for a better idea, things circled in red are uninstalled, things in green i have no clue what they are, the rest i know and want:

http://www.bbfree.com/VGProManiac/uploads/post-2-1090205434.jpg

"InterTrust" Seems to be something that was installed with InterPlay WinDVD but i'm not sure (that's why it's half-half). The other two files on the bottom are :dodgy: The exe is always trying to access the internet and keeps putting itself on startup :dodgy:

Anyways, can i safely delete the folders circled in red? (or half red :p) And what are the ones in green?

RE: My computer is becomming SLOW by lopardo on 07-19-2004 at 04:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kingboy
not only would having lots of programs interfear with proformance, but having your hard drive full of stuff can slow your computer down alot to.:^)

ie: pics...movies...anything youve got on there
Yes, but you don't notice that as much as spyware and constant memory hogging programs (unless you have 500 KB left in your whole HD, of course :)).

quote:
Look at this screen for a better idea, things circled in red are uninstalled, things in green i have no clue what they are, the rest i know and want:

http://www.bbfree.com/VGProManiac/uploads/post-2-1090205434.jpg
You should have made the lines thicker, my eyes are destroyed after reading the whole thread about reputations in this forum :)

Identities -> Outlook Express folder, don't delete it.
Intertrust -> I don't know, check Google. What does it have inside?
Phoenix -> Seems to be a Mozilla folder.
autoupdt.ini and dwnupdt.exe -> No idea... http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:8dk65Fr47vwJ:pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D57745%26view%3Dnew+dwnupdt.exe