Shoutbox

Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. (/showthread.php?tid=28586)

Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-12-2004 at 09:48 PM

Is it good to be connected at a 32,000 bps connection? Okay well let me get to the point. I usually get a 32,000-35,000 connection to my ISP. Well today I am only getting a 19,200 bps connection. I dunno why, but can it be possible that it's storming in the county were I have my connection from? It has been rainin there off and on all day....:undecided:

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Choli on 07-12-2004 at 10:14 PM

yes, the storm may be the problem, however if you use to connect at 32-35 Kbps, it should be always the same. If tomorrow it's still 19.2 kbps, you should review the line.

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-12-2004 at 10:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
If tomorrow it's still 19.2 kbps, you should review the line.

What do you mean review the line?? :S
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Johnny_Mac on 07-12-2004 at 10:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
What do you mean review the line?? 
I'm no BT engineer, but if my connection was suddenly slow and they werent no storm outside i'd say they was a fault with your  line. Which is what Choli means about reviewing it... Ring the Telecommunications company (ISP?).
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-13-2004 at 02:45 AM

Ya, yall are going to think I am sooooo retarted for saying this but what the hell hereeeeeeeeeeeee we go..

Well  you know wene your not connected to the internet and you start up Internet Explorere then it pops up to connect? Well I connected that way a min ago a got a dodgy 19,200 BPS connection. So I disconnected it and I tried it this way. I have never done this before but there is a icon on my desktop called  my connection, so I connected with that and got a whooping 33,333 bps connection. Can someone tell me what the heck is going on here? :undecided:

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by WDZ on 07-13-2004 at 04:09 AM

Probably a coincidence. :p

Dial-up speeds can be unpredictable... sometimes I'd get 28000 bps, and sometimes 46666... when you disconnect and immediately reconnect, you could get a completely different number. :p

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Choli on 07-13-2004 at 01:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
when you disconnect and immediately reconnect, you could get a completely different number.
that's true. When I had dialup and it connected to something slower than 48 Kbps, I closed the connection and dialed up again. Then it used to connect @ 49.2 Kbps (as always). You can try that.
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by saralk on 07-13-2004 at 05:02 PM

sometimes having one of those things that split 1 phone socket into 2 can slow down the connection.

Also try phoning up your telecom company and asking them to increase the REN, i think its called that. What it does is makes more power to your phone line or something.

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Vantage on 07-13-2004 at 05:25 PM

ok im connecting at 10.0mpbs whats the diffrence between bps or what it is

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by saralk on 07-13-2004 at 05:56 PM

the m stands for mega and divides by 1000.

Also i dout u have a 10mbps, more likely u have a router, which is connected to ur pc at 10mbps, which unless its a wireless router, is slow

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-13-2004 at 07:22 PM

Okay, well I don't have a split. I have 2 seperate phone lines. I dunno what the hell the problem is, but I can't even get higher than a 22,200 BPS connection. So what should I do, call my ISP and ask them to check my line and increase REN? Couse I can't even load this main index it takes bout 2 min to load the fn thing.

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by saralk on 07-13-2004 at 07:35 PM

im not sure about the REN thing btw, i think i heard it on a tech show once (Chips with Everything, when [.tv] used to exist on sky tv).

Also dont phone ur ISP, phone you telecom company. Ask them to make ur phone line better quality

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-13-2004 at 07:37 PM

Okay, here is my isp site... www.vallnet.com , but I should call Bellsouth couse that is what I think my home phone line is??? :undecided:

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Choli on 07-13-2004 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
m stands for mega, true, but it means million, ie: 1 000 000. So a 10 Mbps connection is a 10 000 000 bits per second connection.
quote:
So what should I do, call my ISP and ask them to check my line and increase REN?
just call them and say you connect at 22200 bps and tell them the problems you have. (in the worse case it should be arround 33000 (however the typical values for a dialup connection are arround 50600 (Y)))
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-13-2004 at 09:39 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
m stands for mega, true, but it means million, ie: 1 000 000. So a 10 Mbps connection is a 10 000 000 bits per second connection.
quote:
So what should I do, call my ISP and ask them to check my line and increase REN?
just call them and say you connect at 22200 bps and tell them the problems you have. (in the worse case it should be arround 33000 (however the typical values for a dialup connection are arround 50600 (Y)))

I emailed them a min ago.. I hope that they can give me a 50,600 connection that would be AWESOME...Why haven't I been getting that speed?? :undecided:

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Choli on 07-13-2004 at 09:45 PM

quote:
Why haven't I been getting that speed??
ther may be lots of reasons. Maybe you modem doesn't support that speed (is it very very very old?). Maybe you live very far from the telefon central (or you have a lot of cable from the telefon to the modem). Maybe the telefon central is an old one and doesn't support so much speed. Maybe your ISP doesn't support it (i don't think so). Maybe your contract is only for that speed....

As you can see there are lots of reasons. Call them (or email them (Y)) and wait for the answer. They can tell you better than us.
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-13-2004 at 10:02 PM

Well, I have a 56k modem. And my ISP is about 30-35 miles away from my house. They have DSL so i am sure it is capable for a 56,000 bps connection.

RE: RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Hank on 07-14-2004 at 12:23 AM

quote:
Well, I have a 56k modem. And my ISP is about 30-35 miles away from my house. They have DSL so i am sure it is capable for a 56,000 bps connection.

Have you tried Upgrading your Modem Driver? i used to live in a pretty bad side where phonelines used to get a lot of Moisture an i suddenly lost speed or couldnt dialout at all, Telstra being my Telco  had to come an fix the problem .  i think i was told by one of the Telstra Guys that Moisture that gets in or around a phoneline can create problems.  as the Main phoneline connection was Outside under the ground but on a slope where rain water could easily Run down into the phoneline Box
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-14-2004 at 01:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
Have you tried Upgrading your Modem Driver?

You mean the Modem it's self? :undecided: I have had this modem for about 2 years.
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by toddy on 07-14-2004 at 01:21 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
Have you tried Upgrading your Modem Driver?

You mean the Modem it's self? :undecided: I have had this modem for about 2 years.
no he means the driver, find out what make your modem is and then go to there website, see if they have got any new drivers
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-14-2004 at 01:25 AM

My modem is a :

56k PCI Voice Modem SF-1156lV R9A

:undecided:

RE: RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Hank on 07-14-2004 at 01:40 AM

quote:
My modem is a :

56k PCI Voice Modem SF-1156lV R9A

:undecided:

Do a Google search on that particular Modem or i think you can look @ www.drivers.com  or go to the Modems Manufacture website ofyour Modem an Download the Drivers . or get a cheap External Modem from Yahoo Store, i think Cookie Mentioned awhile ago in another post you can get cheap computer Hardware/software from there

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-14-2004 at 01:43 AM

I don't know who manufacrured the modem?

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by toddy on 07-14-2004 at 01:55 AM

quote:
I don't know who manufacrured the modem?

find the current driver, it should give u some idea
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-14-2004 at 03:43 AM

I dunno what yall mean by driver? :S

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Choli on 07-14-2004 at 12:55 PM

a driver is a program that controls (drives) a device, like a modem. Usually Windows comes with drivers for lots of devices, but most of them are generic; that means that they work with all of the devices of that kind. I mean: Windows comes with a standar driver for modem. It works, but it's not the best for your modem. Maybe (most probably) you modem would work better if you install the specific driver. And where is it? Well, it's done by the company that made the modem, so you have to (as it's ben said) seach in the web page of the modem (or in google) the last version of the drivers for it, and then install them.

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by sasquatch on 07-15-2004 at 06:56 AM

just outta curiosity: can u reli notice the difference between 19 kbps and 50 kbps? i mean itz dial up, u will prob neva be able to reach those benchmarks neway on a dialup modem...

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-15-2004 at 11:36 AM

Actually, yes I can tell the difference between 19.2KBPS and a 33.3KBPS connection. Couse it loads slower on the 19.2 but loads a bit faster at 33.3...:D

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Choli on 07-15-2004 at 01:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch
can u reli notice the difference between 19 kbps and 50 kbps? i mean itz dial up, u will prob neva be able to reach those benchmarks neway on a dialup modem...
of course they are maximun limits (the same as 256kbps when you're on adsl, for example), but anyway, in fact you can see the difference, especially when downloading files :)
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-15-2004 at 02:20 PM

quote:
quote:
can u reli notice the difference between 19 kbps and 50 kbps? i mean itz dial up, u will prob neva be able to reach those benchmarks neway on a dialup modem...
of course they are maximun limits (the same as 256kbps when you're on adsl, for example), but anyway, in fact you can see the difference, especially when downloading files :)

Yes you can, but I cant seem to find who made the driver or anything.:S
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-18-2004 at 03:56 AM

Woot! Well, I got a reply from my ISP and they said it was there foult on there  end. Now im getting 115,000 BPS connections! :banana:

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by WDZ on 07-18-2004 at 04:02 AM

WTF :p

115200 bps is the speed at which your computer communicates with your modem, not the speed that your modem communicates with your ISP. That's limited to 53000 bps.

Computer <-- 115200 --> Modem <-- 53000 --> ISP

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-18-2004 at 04:10 AM

All I know is that is says

Connected at 115,200 bps

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Guido on 07-18-2004 at 04:26 AM

quote:
just outta curiosity: can u reli notice the difference between 19 kbps and 50 kbps? i mean itz dial up, u will prob neva be able to reach those benchmarks neway on a dialup modem...
Remember Kbps is 8x KBps (kilobits vs. kilobytes)

56k is 56 kilobits per second
download speeds are measured in kilobytes per second
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Choli on 07-18-2004 at 07:35 PM

quote:
All I know is that is says

Connected at 115,200 bps
that happened to me when i was on dila-up. It's just the modem, who became crazzy and returned a wrong speed to the computer. Just ignore it. The real speed will always be less than 56 kbps

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Remember Kbps is 8x KBps (kilobits vs. kilobytes)
infact, when "kbps" is used, it means Kbit/s and for Kb/s people don't use KBps, just bacuse it's confusing. :P
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Mippo on 07-20-2004 at 06:55 AM

Check this page out if you want to see the real speed instead of the port speed if it connects: http://www.modemsite.com/56k/x2-inf1.asp

But I don't get how you can suddenly get 115200 bps instead of 33000 or such, because it's a fault on their end and getting the port speed instead of the connect speed is something that is configured in your modem. It was probably some firmware problem, maybe no good V.90 (speeds above 33k6) interoperability between their modem(s) and yours, so you got V.34 connections (33k6 and under, so only analogue data, because speeds above 33k6 MUST have a digital V.90/V.92 carrier). If you get the normal connect speeds working, could you post your actual connect speed here?

Oh, little sidenote: The connect speed could give something completely different than your speed is. If it connects at 50666 bps for example, it could've have tested the line wrongly when connecting, so your modem retrains (sort of reconnecting to redetermine the maximum speed). Check out the following page to determine your real throughput: http://www.modemsite.com/56k/x2-thru.asp

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-21-2004 at 02:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mippo

But I don't get how you can suddenly get 115200 bps instead of 33000 or such, because it's a fault on their end and getting the port speed instead of the connect speed is something that is configured in your modem. It was probably some firmware problem, maybe no good V.90 (speeds above 33k6) interoperability between their modem(s) and yours, so you got V.34 connections (33k6 and under, so only analogue data, because speeds above 33k6 MUST have a digital V.90/V.92 carrier). If you get the normal connect speeds working, could you post your actual connect speed here?

They didn't give me a reason but all they said it was a  problem on there end. But now I am getting a 39,000bps- 42,222 bps. I've only gotton the 115,000 bps connection 1 time so....:undecided:
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Mippo on 07-21-2004 at 05:35 AM

quote:
They didn't give me a reason but all they said it was a  problem on there end. But now I am getting a 39,000bps- 42,222 bps. I've only gotton the 115,000 bps connection 1 time so....:undecided:
At least they got V.90 working for you... but it's still closer to an old 33k6 modem than 56k. There's not much you can do about that, but if you'd like a bit faster connecting times and better upstream speed (but your download will be limited to 33k6) you can check out this link: http://www.modemsite.com/56k/ms.asp. Although ofcourse this is not what most people want.

You said you have two lines. They may be influencing eachother (not properly shielded), you could check that out. Try disconnecting all other phone devices and check if it helps the quality. Two pages on inside-house wiring are http://www.modemsite.com/56k/demarc.asp and http://www.modemsite.com/56k/cat5.asp. A page on bad 56k connects in general is http://www.modemsite.com/56k/trouble1.asp.

If this all doesn't work... well, it's probably a problem with the telco (bad line or such). You could also try another ISP, maybe your modem has better interoperability with another ISP (or there are less line "obstacles" to another ISP, like digital pads or (more) Robbed Bit Signalling links).
RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-21-2004 at 04:33 PM

Well, yes I have two phonelines, and they are separte phone companies. My home phone is Bellsouth, and my computer line is AT&T. I've had this same line for my computer for about 4 years, and I have never had this problem....

I was also reading from my isp help pages, and it had a help topic about My computer connection speed has droped dramaticaly.
And it said something about the line might have gone static or something. Anyways, I dunno what modem I have mippo so that first link wont work for me. All I know is that I have a  56K PCI Voice Modem SF-1156lV R9A ....

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Mippo on 07-21-2004 at 06:42 PM

You can check out who made your modem or who manufactered the chipset on http://www.modemsite.com/56k/whomadeit.asp.

You might try to rewire your modem or something (so the line isn't static anymore O_o). There are just so many things that could be wrong, varying from your modem, your ISP's modems, the in-house wiring, the telco wiring (and the "obstacles")... For now it just seems that you'll have to live with those low V.90 speeds... :-/

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-21-2004 at 07:31 PM

Re-Wire my modem? :s..:undecided:...Like I am taking my computer apart to get a number? I can mess it up and quit frankly I have never ever done that before lol...

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by Mippo on 07-22-2004 at 05:17 AM

quote:
Re-Wire my modem? :s..:undecided:...Like I am taking my computer apart to get a number? I can mess it up and quit frankly I have never ever done that before lol...
Lol no, I just meant getting new telephone cable to connect it to the telco line jack silly :P

RE: Connected @ blahblahblah bps.. by RebelSean on 07-22-2004 at 01:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mippo
quote:
Lol no, I just meant getting new telephone cable to connect it to the telco line jack silly :P

Oh well, anyways things starting to look good! Today they offered me a free DSL modem and 3 months free! Sooo...:D