Shoutbox

Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update (/showthread.php?tid=28690)

Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update by Strobe on 07-15-2004 at 07:07 AM

Gday,
I recently installed XP Pro SP2, and for some reason, when
I run windows update, it still prompts me to download SP2.
When if do click 'Download and Install', it fails, and
tells me the updates were not installed.
I am guessing something has gone wrong with the logging of
installed updates.
Can anyone help?

RE: Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update by sasquatch on 07-15-2004 at 08:47 AM

is ur copy of Win XP legit? cuz i heard that MS blocked some of the most pirated CD keys in SP2 so u can't install them on pirated versions of XP

RE: Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update by KeyStorm on 07-15-2004 at 08:51 AM

SP2 hasn't been officially released to the wide public. They are ready to add it to windowsupdate once they get it to the final version. It's now just a Release Candidate.

So I'd encourage you not to install it because iut can contain severe bugs or incompatibilities (like we saw with HP)

RE: Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update by sasquatch on 07-15-2004 at 08:54 AM

i have RC2 and it works fine, guess it reli depends

RE: Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update by KeyStorm on 07-15-2004 at 09:18 AM

My words (again): Don't install non-final software unless you know exactly what you are doing. Else, expect unexpected results :tongue:

RE: Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update by Strobe on 07-15-2004 at 12:08 PM

Its not legit.
I had it burnt on a CD, and it was installed with SP2 - I had no idea it was not an official release - except for the fact its not legit.
Its not a Key blocking issue - i got over that one!!

My source also has SP1 install versions. Can I go backwards easily??
Tips??

RE: Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update by toddy on 07-15-2004 at 02:42 PM

do u have style xp on your computer ??? because u can't have programs like that installed when installing SP2.  i had the same problem

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327101
for more info

RE: Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update by Strobe on 07-18-2004 at 10:06 AM

Nup, dont have Style XP.

How easy is it to downgrade to SP1?? I have a CD...?

RE: Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update by musicalmidget on 07-18-2004 at 10:13 AM

I doubt that SP2 has an uninstaller, meaning that probably the only way to downgrade, would be to use System Restore to go back to a previous state, before you installed SP2.

RE: Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update by Strobe on 07-18-2004 at 10:22 AM

I installed SP2 on a clean disk. I dont know how, but I had an XP installer that shipped with SP2.

I am thinking now it could be to do with the serial i'm using.
I used a dodgey method to change it, cos the one i entered in installation was known to be dodge by MS.

I am thinking if I find an SP2 CD-Key i'll be ok.
Anyone got any experience of this?

RE: Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update by CookieRevised on 07-18-2004 at 10:54 AM

No, and also all this key-talk is illegal and therfore not supported/allowed on this forum....

Go to the store and buy a legit Windows XP and all your problems are solved....

RE: Running SP2: still prompted to install it by win update by Strobe on 07-18-2004 at 11:01 AM

Ok, i think ill do that... all that talk of course was hypothetical.