Shoutbox

new moderator? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: new moderator? (/showthread.php?tid=28723)

new moderator? by Stigmata on 07-15-2004 at 08:28 PM

sorry but it cant just be me, but this isnt the first time something like this has happened

no1 mods of admins online and a spammer goes amock

just wondering if we could have a moderator from gmt time zone maybe?
european?

im not critising the current admins or moderators

but i just want this forum to be a better place

RE: new moderator? by toddy on 07-15-2004 at 08:30 PM

johnny_mac is on GMT time

RE: new moderator? by Kryptonate on 07-15-2004 at 08:32 PM

johnny_mac is from the UK ;)

RE: new moderator? by Stigmata on 07-15-2004 at 08:33 PM

johnny_mac is not online ;)

RE: new moderator? by toddy on 07-15-2004 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
johnny_mac is not online ;)

doesn't mean he isn't on gmt time
RE: new moderator? by Kryptonate on 07-15-2004 at 08:33 PM

often a mod is online but as invisible user

RE: new moderator? by Kafman on 07-15-2004 at 08:36 PM

well wj is online 8-)

RE: new moderator? by Joe on 07-15-2004 at 08:38 PM

and phil's threads are T&T

(most of 'em)

RE: new moderator? by Millenium_edition on 07-15-2004 at 09:06 PM

so are you happy now <flowers> ?

RE: new moderator? by musicalmidget on 07-15-2004 at 11:07 PM

To be honest, I think it makes very little difference which timezone a moderator lives in.  I mean, just because someone lives in the UK (for examples sake) doesn't mean they will be online at any particular time.  The mods will still only be able to visit when they get chance in the day, and that isn't always so easy to predict.  Perhaps some of them are like me and keep very weird hours.  For example, I live in the UK, but I'm most active on the net usually between 22:00 and 02:00, which I believe is peak visiting time for most of the US users. :p

RE: new moderator? by Pipish on 07-16-2004 at 08:06 AM

hmm i think we should have like a moderator for each timezone like europ usa australia and a whole lot of other countries lol like ambassadors in a way moderating the forums just a sugestion anyway

RE: new moderator? by Mnjul on 07-16-2004 at 08:38 AM

I agree with musicalmidget (Y)

Currently I don't see a need for new mods :)

To reduce spam, surely the forums need everyone's help: Please, just report any spam posts :) As all of you always know, it's impossible for a mod to read every post (and this for sure has nothing to do with the number of moderators).

RE: new moderator? by WDZ on 07-16-2004 at 08:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
As all of you always know, it's impossible for a mod to read every post (and this for sure has nothing to do with the number of moderators).
Yeah, that's true... unless each mod was assigned to certain forums that they had to read completely. :dodgy:

I don't think the mods would like that very much... :p
RE: new moderator? by GiantSpider on 07-16-2004 at 08:50 AM

Well this was disscussed a while ago. I think another idea would be to allow the Elite's to moderate a forum each. Well the most active. That way we would have extra moderators without the hassle of promotion.

RE: new moderator? by Mnjul on 07-16-2004 at 09:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I don't think the mods would like that very much...
I would hate it as I hate WDZ err, who did I strike-out? :dodgy: :lol:
No, I don't like the idea at all. It sux.

Elite moderating a forum? Why not make him a mod then...a :dodgy: suggestion :P Currently, in my opinion, elites are cooperating with moderators very well (RevisedCookie (Y))...8-)
RE: new moderator? by Wabz on 07-16-2004 at 09:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
Well this was disscussed a while ago. I think another idea would be to allow the Elite's to moderate a forum each. Well the most active. That way we would have extra moderators without the hassle of promotion.

Wouldn#t we have been promoted though :| 

And how do you know I'm not as active as other elites just because I don't post as often :P
RE: new moderator? by Johnny_Mac on 07-16-2004 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
doesn't mean he isn't on gmt time
I'm on BST actually.... :refuck:

3 moderators or admins are "invisible" at all times, and 1 does now and again. This is probably why people think they isnt one online. ^o)

I disagree to moderators for particular forums, simply because it causes the problems of mods wanting to move stuff to particular forums and not being allowed to because they dont mod that particular forums.

If anyone remembers when chrono and muss were made mod's it was really annoying them needs access to particular forums to move stuff from their own, or they need me or WDZ to do it. So in the end they were made super moderators cause it was a whole lot easier.

I dont see a problem really, but if we did need someone i'd rather have 1 new super moderator than elites being able to do this and that.

off topic edit: 4 "particular's" :shocked: :tongue:
RE: new moderator? by marissa on 07-17-2004 at 04:41 AM

Well, if there was a mod for every time zone, and they werent on the forums at their particular time they'd probably get yelled at, no? This forums not for that, people just need to learn how to "not spam" the forums. Simple as that.

RE: new moderator? by RebelSean on 07-17-2004 at 04:45 AM

I agree with marissa. But I would also agree with pipish and his post

quote:
Originally posted by pipish
hmm i think we should have like a moderator for each timezone like europ usa australia and a whole lot of other countries lol like ambassadors in a way moderating the forums just a sugestion anyway

But not to me a mod, to be a smod. That is my oppion, which somtimes it counts and sometimes it don't. :D
RE: new moderator? by surfichris on 07-17-2004 at 07:20 AM

Okay, let me first point out that I am not in a very good mood? k.thx.

Well, as others have said I do not see the need to have new moderators. You bought up the issue of different time zones, well let me tell you for a fact now that with the current moderator setup we pretty much cover every timezone.

Now, leave it up to the current forum administrators and team to decide on if new moderators are necessary. Instead of complaining (or trying to earn "brownie points"), use the report post button so we can easily find this spam when one of us is next online if we aren't already.

~ GrumpyChris

RE: new moderator? by Pyroteq on 07-17-2004 at 02:24 PM

Im in australia n were GMT+10 but im usually on the net late into the night like 19:00-01:00 and in the holidays sumtimes 03:00 atm its 00:26

RE: new moderator? by Kryptonate on 07-17-2004 at 02:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
Im in australia n were GMT+10 but im usually on the net late into the night like 19:00-01:00 and in the holidays sumtimes 03:00 atm its 00:26
and your point is...?
RE: new moderator? by surfichris on 07-17-2004 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
:o :o :o Guess what!?!?!? I'm from australia too, and those are pretty much my hours except all days in the holidays and after 4pm back during school.

I have a new idea before you can even be considered, you must type properly :o
RE: new moderator? by Johnny_Mac on 07-17-2004 at 09:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
I have a new idea before you can even be considered,
what consideration may this be? i dont even know why this thread is still open. :S
RE: new moderator? by surfichris on 07-17-2004 at 09:31 PM

Either do i..

Now, seeing as though the Mac is here, and i have to go to work, the moderation is perfectly covered (Y) See, we're already very capable of managing stuff on our own ;)