Shoutbox

svchost.exe and other processes - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: svchost.exe and other processes (/showthread.php?tid=28739)

svchost.exe and other processes by kingboy on 07-16-2004 at 01:41 AM

hi.  i was wondering if "svchost.exe" is a lagitamit process. also, i have included a screeny of my processes. plz tell me if any are "not windows frendly". I did download alot, about 5, updates with auto update, which seems a little much... Lets not forget Blaster....

Im asking this cause i dont have much memory, and it takes up alot....and, there are a few of them running:S

<Edit - 2 years later :P>

Believe it or not, 2 years from when i ask about the possible "bad bad virus" svchost, i get a virus that disguises itself as it. The virus wouldnt let me run TaskManager or regedit to get rid of it. I had to rely on a different program, Iarsn TaskInfo 2003, to stop the process. Thought it was worth updating my ooollllddd post. Plz dont flame jsut cause its 2 years old. Is my thread after all :)

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by bach_m on 07-16-2004 at 01:47 AM

this is a list  of alot of WIndows proceces. start there. it might help to google the process that ur suspicious of.

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by WDZ on 07-16-2004 at 01:47 AM

svchost.exe is legitimate. I have 5 instances of it running right now. Here's some info from Microsoft... :p

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by illuzn on 07-16-2004 at 02:02 AM

What you need to know is where the svchost.exe file in memory is located. There are several programs out there that can find out. It could be spyware or adware hiding itself by naming itself svchost.exe

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by matty on 07-16-2004 at 02:15 AM

You may want to increase the size of you paging file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=259184

This will give you in a sense more RAM, only thing with this tho, is that it is Virtual.

Cheers

Offtopic
Its funny how you scribbled out your name on the Task List althou I can tell your name is Ryan, (You put your email address in your Profile :P)

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by surfichris on 07-16-2004 at 02:23 AM

Oh, just because no one pointed it out.. yes svshost.exe is a legit process, there are also numerous viruses which use this name to disguise themself.

Do a full HDD scan with a virus scanner too while you're at it ;)

RE: RE: svchost.exe and other processes by matty on 07-16-2004 at 02:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
You may want to increase the size of you paging file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=308417

This will give you in a sense more RAM, only thing with this tho, is that it is Virtual.

Cheers

Offtopic
Its funny how you scribbled out your name on the Task List althou I can tell your name is Ryan, (You put your email address in your Profile :P)

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by kingboy on 07-16-2004 at 02:25 AM

lol  shhhh  dont tell anyone;)

Also, thanks for all of the sugestions:)

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by RaceProUK on 07-16-2004 at 02:16 PM

svchost.exe is legit yes. And don't worry about the large memory requirements: I have 5 instances of it running right now, one of which is using 20MB of memory! With all 5 instances, about 30-35MB is taken up by it.

So, basically, so long as you don't have a virus, you might as well leave it running.

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by lopardo on 07-17-2004 at 03:06 AM

Check your processes with TaskInfo, you can see the full path there. The real svchost.exe is under the Windows\System32 folder.

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by illuzn on 07-17-2004 at 05:51 AM

If you are really concerned about the number of svchost.exe using up you memory try disabling some windows services. A good list of services you can disable is located here: http://www.sanx.org/tipShow.asp?articleRef=65
You can find many others elsewhere

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by CookieRevised on 07-17-2004 at 06:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by illuzn
If you are really concerned about the number of svchost.exe using up you memory try disabling some windows services. A good list of services you can disable is located here: http://www.sanx.org/tipShow.asp?articleRef=65
You can find many others elsewhere
quote:
Automatic Updates
Many users prefer to manually download updates from Microsoft. If you wish to use the automatic update facility, leave this service enabled.
I strongly suggest against it!!!... Leave this service enabled, don't disable it! Leaving this enabled doesn't automaticly mean that windows will download and install updates automaticly; you can check that in your config-panel! Leaving this enabled means that Windows can check if there are updates available, it will do nothing more, once checked the service will end itself and leave memory...

A better and far more detailed list with explainations can be found on www.blackviper.com. Because that list on www.sanx.org doesn't give you the full story and you can have troubles if you follow that list blindly; there is more to it then it is explained there...
RE: svchost.exe and other processes by Maniac on 07-17-2004 at 09:56 PM

hmmmm you're saying svchost.exe is legit but that viruses try to desguise themselves with similar name.... look at this:

[Image: post-2-1090102128.jpg]

Virus?

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by kingboy on 07-17-2004 at 10:11 PM

i doubt that it is   from what i have learned, svchost.exe is a program the runs services. so that could be any number of windows services...

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by Maniac on 07-17-2004 at 10:30 PM

yeah well look carefully, that says scvhost.exe... ;)

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by kingboy on 07-17-2004 at 10:32 PM

woooo  i missed that....guess your right  could be a virus.......O_O

<offtopic>
Is it possible to recive an email without using something like  @hotmail.com   or  @yahoo.com??   because i got an email...and the email   only has  sara....nothin else...no  @hotmail, or @******....spoofer??

included a screenshot if you dont know what im talkin bout
</offtopic>

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by Maniac on 07-17-2004 at 10:47 PM

hmmm i think i saw some other topic on these forums about that....

here:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=28814

might have to do with that... i dunno :^)

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by lopardo on 07-18-2004 at 12:15 AM

Do a virus scan...

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by kingboy on 07-18-2004 at 12:18 AM

that is obviously the first thing that i did  but not all anti virus programs updated EVERY day, im using norton, so...they only update, well  live update anyways, once a week, so new viruses wont be found

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by lopardo on 07-18-2004 at 12:22 AM

Try Spybot - Search & destroy and do a scan.

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 12:48 AM

Talking about norton, i just ran it and it found 11 new viruses but only deleted 2.... it kept saying it couldn't delete the others.... wth am i supposed to do with them.... watch them? :@

RE: svchost.exe and other processes by kingboy on 07-18-2004 at 04:16 AM

well  norton should stop their processes...but   try doin this

start > run > msconfig > Startup tab > Disable All
Reboot and run a virus scan, delete the viruses. Then folow the same instruction, but instead of disabling, Enable All; OR

start in safe mode and run a virus scan.

Also, if u have your Norton CD around, i beleave you can boot from it. Put it in your CD drive, and boot up. And just tinker around and look for something that says scan for viruses. Ive never done it myself.

Or what might be happening, is norton is saying that it cannot REPAIR the file. Which means you may have to delete the file manually. Once again, folow the steps up there and delete the file manually instead of scanning.