Shoutbox

I don't want to update my msn?????? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: I don't want to update my msn?????? (/showthread.php?tid=28769)

I don't want to update my msn?????? by kakar on 07-16-2004 at 04:24 PM

how do i do...

when i sign in msn...
it ask me to update to version 6.2
how do i do...

i want to use 6.1

please help me...
thank...

RE: I don't want to update my msn?????? by Anubis on 07-16-2004 at 04:28 PM

It is always recommended that you use the latest version of MSN Messenger due to security updates...I'd suggest that you updated

RE: I don't want to update my msn?????? by lizard.boy on 07-16-2004 at 04:41 PM

i use 6.1 still... thers nothing wrong with it in my opinion.  if i could figure out the binary for time i could tell you how to replace it

there is a regestry entry under hkcu\software\microsoft\msnmessenger\noupdatepromttime that stores a date to tell you to update again. but i cant figure out how to modyfy it. i'll exparament

RE: I don't want to update my msn?????? by CookieRevised on 07-16-2004 at 07:39 PM

First of all, as Anubis already said, it is always a good idea to update since MS will have fixed many bugs in their updates...

(sometimes I don't understand people, they complain MS software is full of bugs, yet they don't wanna update :undecided: (speaking in general, nothing personal))

The same goes for MSN Messenger 6.2: it has many bugs fixed, so why not update?

Anyways, You proberly don't have the latest MSN Messenger 6.1.
Remember that "6.1" isn't the full version number, there is always a build number also. (Help > About MSN Messenger)...

You proberly have 6.1.0207. And that version has a MAJOR security flaw in it! That's the reason why MS wants you to update, for your own safety! This security issue was solved in 6.1.0211...

So either update to the latest version (6.2.0137 as it is now) or use 6.1.0211. MSN Messenger 6.1.0211 can still be downloaded from the official MS download centre (although it hasn't a download instructions page anymore) here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/c/83c4...c0982f21/Setup.exe
(setup is for every OS)

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
i use 6.1 still... thers nothing wrong with it in my opinion.  if i could figure out the binary for time i could tell you how to replace it

there is a regestry entry under hkcu\software\microsoft\msnmessenger\noupdatepromttime that stores a date to tell you to update again. but i cant figure out how to modyfy it. i'll exparament
It realy is not a good idea to tamper with that!! As I said, you could put yourself in a realy harmfull situation if you tamper with it like that...

RE: I don't want to update my msn?????? by Matthew_wehttaM on 07-17-2004 at 11:22 PM

i have 6.2.0137 and its asking me to update to 6.2 is there a difference?

RE: I don't want to update my msn?????? by Dane on 07-17-2004 at 11:45 PM

Hmm....Usually there is, however im using 6.2.0137 and am not getting this message.  I'd just do what it says.

RE: I don't want to update my msn?????? by lopardo on 07-18-2004 at 01:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(sometimes I don't understand people, they complain MS software is full of bugs, yet they don't wanna update (speaking in general, nothing personal))
In my case, MSN Messenger 6.2 crashes in my PC when it's about to log in :(. I've fully uninstalled Plus and Messenger (all files and registry settings), reinstalled only Messenger 6.2 and it was still crashing, so I'm now using 6.1.0211.
RE: I don't want to update my msn?????? by CookieRevised on 07-18-2004 at 08:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
In my case, MSN Messenger 6.2 crashes in my PC when it's about to log in
And that's right after you installed it, right? Well this is a known "small" bug with the registry setting for the logfiles, and can easly be solved (if that is the case)...

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24...d=239322#pid239322

(btw, that remark I've made was meant in general, I know there are people who have legit reasons not to update, but many people don't have good reasons and still don't update... so....)
RE: I don't want to update my msn?????? by lopardo on 07-18-2004 at 05:40 PM

Holy sh*t! It works, thanks Cookie :)

The weird thing is that I was deleting everything before trying, all the files and registry keys... :huh:

RE: I don't want to update my msn?????? by Anubis on 07-18-2004 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matthew_wehttaM
Yeah, it'll be a security update, if you like your computer to be secure I'd update...
RE: I don't want to update my msn?????? by CookieRevised on 07-18-2004 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
Yeah, it'll be a security update, if you like your computer to be secure I'd update...
erm... no....
quote:
6.2.0137 IS the latest version... IF you realy have that version, then you shouldn't get any update-message! So check your version (Help > About MSN Messenger), if it isn't 6.2.0137 then update, if it is 6.2.0137 then you most likely didn't install it properly, so reinstall it in that case...