Shoutbox

admin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: admin (/showthread.php?tid=28804)

admin by - keef on 07-17-2004 at 09:53 AM

i'm using windows 98....and i jus downloaded a program off the internet...when i opened the file it gave me a messsage saying that i cant use and it tells me to contact the admin....this usally dosent happen..and i never knew there was a admin on my computer.....does anyone know how to fix this? is there a way to find out the admin is?

RE: admin by saralk on 07-17-2004 at 10:12 AM

what program did you try to download?

RE: admin by - keef on 07-17-2004 at 10:19 AM

uh...i think it was Tuneup Utilities...is that compatible with windows 98?

RE: admin by Choli on 07-17-2004 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by - keef
i'm using windows 98....and i jus downloaded a program off the internet...when i opened the file it gave me a messsage saying that i cant use and it tells me to contact the admin....this usally dosent happen..and i never knew there was a admin on my computer.....does anyone know how to fix this? is there a way to find out the admin is?
in that case, when the program says "admin", it doesn't mean the person of the admin account, because there's no account at all. It means the person responsible of the computer and/or the network connection etc... That person is most probably you, however it seems yo me that your computer (or internet connection or whatever) has something wronly configured and that's why the program can't be installed.
RE: admin by KeyStorm on 07-17-2004 at 01:26 PM

If you could give us more information about the error and what triggered it we could be admins and try to help you :P

RE: admin by - keef on 07-18-2004 at 09:28 AM

ok..first this message comes up...saying msiexc caused a illegal program so i need to close it......then another message comes up and this is what it says : "This opderation has been cancelled due to resrictions in effect on this comuter. Please contact your system administrator." yea...thats all the detail i can give you..

RE: admin by CookieRevised on 07-18-2004 at 09:39 AM

btw, are you sure it is compatible with Windows 98? What is the link to that program?

RE: admin by - keef on 07-18-2004 at 05:55 PM

yea..here's the link http://www.snapfiles.com/features/tuneuputils-703-444624.php

RE: admin by CookieRevised on 07-18-2004 at 08:00 PM

And what is the exact errormessage that you get, and is it when you try to install it, or when you actualy run the program...

btw, there is an extensive PDF manual on the creators site, read both the site and the manual, maybe there is something there that explains it....

RE: admin by Joe on 07-18-2004 at 08:03 PM

personally, i think there are better ways to tune-up your computer than dealing with that program and all the spyware/adware/$|-|1+ware

RE: admin by - keef on 07-19-2004 at 05:42 AM

k first its dis

RE: admin by - keef on 07-19-2004 at 05:43 AM

and here's da second msg

RE: admin by CookieRevised on 07-19-2004 at 09:20 AM

aaaaaaahhhh, now things are clear ;)... here we go:
(PS: I didn't notice you said "saying msiexc caused" in one of your previous posts..... a picture says more then a thousand words :p))

The second message is just because you didn't install the program properly... because:

The first message is not the program that is reporting an error, but it is your Windows Installer that isn't up to date. So update it (http://www.windowsupdate.com/ <= visit this site from time to time) or install it directly from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...-b702-de3bb768148f

After that reinstall the program...

RE: admin by - keef on 07-20-2004 at 01:12 AM

er...i updated windows...and i also downloaded the file u told me to download...but it said that i already had it....and i still cant install the file

RE: admin by Joe on 07-20-2004 at 01:19 AM

did you update your windows installer?

RE: admin by - keef on 07-20-2004 at 01:20 AM

it said i alreadi had it

RE: admin by CookieRevised on 07-20-2004 at 11:27 AM

Well, your installer is corrupt so you need to reinstall it... google for more (I don't have the time am to find a step-by-step guide)

RE: admin by - keef on 07-21-2004 at 01:55 AM

i alreadi reinstalled it...is there a way to acess the admin controls in windows 98?

RE: admin by Choli on 07-21-2004 at 01:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by - keef
is there a way to acess the admin controls in windows 98?
admin controls? Windows 98 doesn't have the concept of admin... all Win98 users "have admin rights". There's no user with more powers than other.... I don't know what you exactly mean with that.
RE: admin by - keef on 07-21-2004 at 05:39 PM

o..nvm den...so how can i fix this?