Shoutbox

Unable to access msgplus.net website - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Unable to access msgplus.net website (/showthread.php?tid=28841)

Unable to access msgplus.net website by Cloudbusting on 07-18-2004 at 04:03 PM

I just want to start off first of all by saying hi to everyone and that I love msgplus 3 however I have had to download it from a mirror site.

I would really like to be able to access the msgplus website so I can check for plug-ins and find out how I can use msgplus's features.

When I try to access it on IE, I get the message "Page Cannot Be Displayed"  If I try on Opera,  I get "Could not Connect To Remote Server"

I have turned off my firewall and rebooted, but to no avail. I have also turned off my anti-virus, but still no luck.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

and how can I overcome this?

Thanks

RE: Unable to access msgplus.net website by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 04:10 PM

Hmmm.... works fine for me (Firefox and IE) .... :s

You might want to look around your internet options or something...

RE: Unable to access msgplus.net website by Anubis on 07-18-2004 at 04:15 PM

Strange...
Have you had any problems visiting any other websites?
Do you connect to the internet using a proxy?
Are you on a LAN?
Is there any program on your computer that restricts access to any websites (eg. McAfee Privacy Service, and any parental control software)?

RE: Unable to access msgplus.net website by matty on 07-18-2004 at 05:21 PM

If you are running Windows 2k or higher type this into your run command (Start > Run)

Windows 2000

code:
notepad.exe C:\WinNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP/2003 Server
code:
notepad.exe C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

The only text that should be in the hosts file is the following.
quote:
Originally posted by Original Hosts File
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

If you have anything other then that is above delete it and replace it.

Matty
RE: Unable to access msgplus.net website by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 05:34 PM

uhhhh i opened that file just out of curiosity.... and it has a ****loads of websites listed.... TONS TONS and TONS.... do i replace it with what you have up there?

hmmmm i just noticed that they are all somehow related to kazaa.... one line says "#kazaa related" then it has tons of websites then "#end of kazaa related"

another says "#Begin of scam sites" and goes on for ever... then "Useless sites" and goes on for even longer :s what the hell :s

RE: Unable to access msgplus.net website by theguy on 07-18-2004 at 05:46 PM

I have the same problem. A question that should be asked is "Do you have Eastlink as your ISP?"

If yes, than there's squat u can do.

If no, than it might be the ISP or something on your end.

Hoping this helps,
theguy

RE: Unable to access msgplus.net website by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 06:07 PM

Eastlink? huh? no....

What would my isp have to do with this though?

RE: Unable to access msgplus.net website by saralk on 07-18-2004 at 06:22 PM

since your ISP is your link to the internet, they can block website access if they want.

Once AOL blocked all access to msn

RE: Unable to access msgplus.net website by matty on 07-18-2004 at 07:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
uhhhh i opened that file just out of curiosity.... and it has a ****loads of websites listed.... TONS TONS and TONS.... do i replace it with what you have up there?

hmmmm i just noticed that they are all somehow related to kazaa.... one line says "#kazaa related" then it has tons of websites then "#end of kazaa related"

another says "#Begin of scam sites" and goes on for ever... then "Useless sites" and goes on for even longer :s what the hell :s
Yes replace all of what you have with what I posted. When you install kazaa it alters the hosts file for popups 8-)
RE: Unable to access msgplus.net website by CookieRevised on 07-18-2004 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac

another says "#Begin of scam sites" and goes on for ever... then "Useless sites" and goes on for even longer what the hell
That's a VERY GOOD thing, not bad at all!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
Yes replace all of what you have with what I posted. When you install kazaa it alters the hosts file for popups
NO!!!, He doesn't need to!!! what he has is a good thing, not a bad thing!!! Removing those lines will infact trigger all kind of popups...

do NOT remove the lines that begin with 127.0.0.1 (unless you want to be overloaded with popups and stuff!!!)

The HOSTS file works very simple: for every address that is listed there, the first part (the IP-address) will be used to connect to.

eg:
127.0.0.1 desktop.kazaa.com

This means when you surf to desktop.kazaa.com, instead of going to that page, your browser will go to 127.0.0.1 (your local host/pc), which will result in a "not found" or similar. This prevents popups which originate from desktop.kazaa.com to popup, etc...

If a lines begin with something other then 127.0.0.1, then be carefull and check the IP address out....

This can be used to redirect addresses, for example I can add:
216.239.59.147 www.msgplus.net
When you restart your browser and you enter www.msgplus.net, you will go to google instead (216.239.59.147 = www.google.com).

This is a very effective way to stop popups and other dodgy sites from opening browser windows (without extra tools). That dodgy sites are listed in your HOSTS file is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing....

Anyways, most likely there is NOTHING wrong with your HOSTS file and you don't need to alter anything (and this goes for almost all cases with this kind of error; although it can originate from the HOSTS file, it almost always isn't)....

The problem is proberly your ISP itself...

EDIT: anyways, do as Millenium_edition suggests in his following post, but nothing more!.... If you can't find it, then it's most likely your ISP or maybe your internet settings which are too strict and are blocking msgplus, or a firewall program or something ....
RE: Unable to access msgplus.net website by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 07:39 PM

Thanks cookie.... i was gonan take everything off :o

RE: Unable to access msgplus.net website by Millenium_edition on 07-18-2004 at 07:41 PM

search for www.msgplus.net in the HOSTS file and see if there's an entry. if so, delete it

RE: RE: Unable to access msgplus.net website by Cloudbusting on 07-19-2004 at 06:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
If you are running Windows 2k or higher type this into your run command (Start > Run)
]
Windows XP/2003 Server
code:

The only text that should be in the hosts file is the following.
quote:
Originally posted by Original Hosts File
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

If you have anything other then that is above delete it and replace it.

Matty

Hi Matty

I have Windows XP home ED and have checked  as you suggested, and found that I already have  exactly the above information so I didn't make any changes.

Theguy in his post queried my ISP. It is Alphalink and to my knowledge this problem has not occurred with any other site (unless of course, their downloads are linked back to msgplus.net)
I just have a home dialup  connection (not LAN)

Do you think I should be calling my ISP about this?

I appreciate all the suggestions from all the posters, thankyou all very much for your responses.
:)

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
search for www.msgplus.net in the HOSTS file and see if there's an entry. if so, delete it

Do you mean this?  if so, there isn't any entry for www.msgplus.net

As you have probably figured out by now, I'm not particularly computer literate, so I appreciate any help that you can give me

:$

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Strange...
Have you had any problems visiting any other websites?
Do you connect to the internet using a proxy?
Are you on a LAN?
Is there any program on your computer that restricts access to any websites (eg. McAfee Privacy Service, and any parental control software)?

Hi Anubis

As i mentioned in another post, I haven't had any problems with any other sites, unless what I'm downloading is linked back to the msgplus.net site.

I've got an idea that I downloaded my previous version of msgplus from the original site several months ago so I can't work out why it's a problem now.

I have a normal home  dial-up connection ( not LAN)
and dont have any software that restricts access

I do have the microsoft firewall  ( which I had disabled temporarily but that didn't work either)

Mnjul Edit: Cloudbusting: Please don't triple post; say what you want to say in one single post ;)