Shoutbox

Warning system - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Warning system (/showthread.php?tid=28856)

Warning system by Millenium_edition on 07-18-2004 at 09:51 PM

A suggestion for these forums: a warning system

How it works: like the Invision board one; each user has a warn level, and when it reaches 100% you're banned. you get for example +10% or +20% or +30% for misbehaving or not following the rules. You can "lose warn" by behaving good.

Personally i think this is better than the classic 24hr-ban...

RE: Warning system by RebelSean on 07-18-2004 at 09:54 PM

I disagree. Even tho I have been banned alot, I still don't think you should be warned. Like J-mac said one day, "We dont give warnings we bann".

RE: Warning system by matty on 07-18-2004 at 09:54 PM

But with the warn system your giving them multiple chances, if they do something and should be banned, ban them.

RE: Warning system by Guido on 07-18-2004 at 10:04 PM

I don't agree with the warning system either... people are not just banned straight away, they ARE given multiple chances in general.

RE: Warning system by dotNorma on 07-18-2004 at 10:21 PM

The warning system isnt a very good idea in my opinion.

Anybody who is part of this forum should know that certain members like Sean (Who has cleaned up his act and I like just fine :happy:) are just disliked and everything they post some stupid person says "Ohhh you spammer!" even when the post really is just fine.

The system is too easily abusable and I dont like it. They have something like it on AIM and I think its just stupid because people can kick others off for no reason.

RE: Warning system by Kryptonate on 07-18-2004 at 10:28 PM

I don't like it either :-/ and it's not needed, mods and admin give warnings to users who cross the line and after a few warnings they get banned for a limited time (24 hours the first time and so on till a definite ban), I like it just the way it is now.

RE: Warning system by CookieRevised on 07-18-2004 at 11:18 PM

The big benefit would be that the user will immediatly see the warning (because it will be under the avatar, right?). In that way, he/she can't say: "I missed that post were the mod warned me" or "I don't read my PM's regulary"...

And about abuse: it can be as much/less abused as the current ban-system of course. It's the mods that issue warnings, so if they are corrupt, then yes, it can be abused. But the point in being a mod is that you don't abuse the power you have, so no, it wont be abused...

PS: I'm not saying it should be added, I'm only replying to some posts ;)

RE: Warning system by Pyroteq on 07-19-2004 at 08:11 AM

I think its a good idea that way the person can realise and clean up thier act, also search for where they went wrong i find my post count drops all the time so some mods must count my posts as Spam but i can see where i have spammed at all.

RE: Warning system by Dane on 07-19-2004 at 08:18 AM

I dislike the idea as well...stick with bans.  People like me would get banned too much just because of Unpopularity :P.

Also, what if 10 Users saw the same post they thought was "bad" and warned you, you'd have 100% warning and be banned for one post, also, n00bs could use the power just to "test it" on join.

RE: Warning system by Pyroteq on 07-19-2004 at 08:28 AM

No, the warning system ive used on other forums you must warn and give a reason for it and then it has to be reviewed by a moderator and then passed on to the member when its been validated.

RE: Warning system by CookieRevised on 07-19-2004 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
I dislike the idea as well...stick with bans.  People like me would get banned too much just because of Unpopularity :P.

Also, what if 10 Users saw the same post they thought was "bad" and warned you, you'd have 100% warning and be banned for one post, also, n00bs could use the power just to "test it" on join.
Dane, like I said, there is no "disliking" involved, and also the mods are the only ones that can issue a warning, not other posters of course... that's logic itself....
RE: Warning system by Johnny_Mac on 07-19-2004 at 05:38 PM

This is another example of something I dont feel is needed. :S

I dont see whats wrong with how things work now, moderators use their discrecion, which is fine. Very rarely does any moderator or admin feel another admin/mod made a wrong decision. It's team work, and we all respect each other.

RE: Warning system by wj on 07-20-2004 at 05:32 PM

I think a 24 hour ban is an effective warning.... Too bad I cant use it on WDZ for being lazy.....

RE: Warning system by theguy on 07-20-2004 at 06:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
I think a 24 hour ban is an effective warning.... Too bad I cant use it on WDZ for being lazy.....
:lol:

I understand where you're coming from, but I'm gonna stay out of this. With an Invision forum, only staff can warn people. The 24-hour ban is effective, but I can see the pros and cons of each side.
RE: Warning system by wj on 07-20-2004 at 06:48 PM

Bigest PRO to the ban system:
With every warning, We dont have to deal with the person for 24 whole hours! :refuck:

RE: Warning system by RebelSean on 07-20-2004 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
quote:
Originally posted by wj
Bigest PRO to the ban system:
With every warning, We dont have to deal with the person for 24 whole hours! :refuck:

:lol:

Anyways ya, I agree with Wj in this.The 24 hour ban worked for me!:banana:
RE: Warning system by KeyStorm on 07-20-2004 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
The 24 hour ban worked for me!

Mods might want to split from this post on: :grin:
What did work?

You had to be banned 6 times 24h and nothing happened. After the 5-days ban (or whatever it was) you seem to be some more calmed down, no offense.

Anyway, I like the idea of knowing if you were annoying or something, a better way to see it.

The first annoying post from rebel wasn't warned, although it was annoying. A mod ioncreasing the warning by 10% would have made him notice that something was wrong with that certain post, so (maybe) he would have changed his mind earlier (well, hoping he ever did anyway :refuck:).

But, I agree with Johnny, it's not so really needed. ;)
RE: Warning system by Millenium_edition on 07-20-2004 at 09:04 PM

actually, forums like msnfanatic use 33% per warning, so you've got 3 chances, not like 10 chances. but i was asking this because i got banned without warning, but that was understandable...