Shoutbox

ripping - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: ripping (/showthread.php?tid=28861)

ripping by sasquatch on 07-19-2004 at 05:04 AM

just a quick question cuz i recently noticed a thread was closed because it mentioned ripping becuz to my knowledge, it is not illegal in canada but seems illegal in britain and other countries

when talking bout subjects that are legal in my country but are illegal constitute a breach of forum rules?

RE: ripping by lopardo on 07-19-2004 at 05:07 AM

Ripping what? For example, ripping CDs to mp3s isn't illegal as long as the original CD is yours (but that may differ with every country's laws, so...)

RE: ripping by WDZ on 07-19-2004 at 05:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch
when talking bout subjects that are legal in my country but are illegal constitute a breach of forum rules?
Yeah. :p

I think the laws of the United States apply to these forums, as they are hosted in the USA, and that's where me and wj live.
RE: ripping by sasquatch on 07-19-2004 at 05:30 AM

patchou lives in Canada :P and this is wut i was talkin bout:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=28653

tho the digital rights management hack was a violation and it was legit closed

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
Riping is ilegal and againts these forum rules. Thread closed.
just curious, guess i'll try to stay away from these "gray areas" in posting, make every1 happy
RE: ripping by wj on 07-19-2004 at 05:31 AM

It's hosted in the US, Therefore it's subject to the laws and jurisdiction of the United States.

RE: ripping by sasquatch on 07-19-2004 at 05:35 AM

sooo i guess we're allowed to talk bout ripping then... fair enuf, i'm satisfied :) have a good day ppl

RE: ripping by Johnny_Mac on 07-19-2004 at 05:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch
sooo i guess we're allowed to talk bout ripping then... fair enuf, i'm satisfied  have a good day ppl
:s

That thread about about removing protection added to stop ripping. Taht is why it was closed. I'd rather close a thread then cause this forum legal problems; its a safe option.
RE: ripping by sasquatch on 07-19-2004 at 11:39 PM

yea, i never had a problem wit the thread bring closed, dun mean no trouble, i said above that the DRM vilation was legit, but i was just wondering bout the comments bout ripping... hmmm... well, w/e, i'm not gonna talk bout ripping newayz

RE: ripping by Wabz on 07-20-2004 at 12:12 AM

English Law states.  A backup copy of a CD may be made as long as you can prove purchase of the CD.  Ripping isn't illegal in technicality although willfully sharing the mp3 accross Kazaa is an illegal act.  Same as making a copy for a friend

RE: ripping by fluffy_lobster on 07-20-2004 at 09:59 AM

If something on these forums is illegal in one country, and it is viewable in that country, then it's breaking that country's laws.  Technically you could be extradited and punished according to those laws.  An actual example where that does happen is when people like the authors of Sasser were caught.