Shoutbox

Tech Question. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Tech Question. (/showthread.php?tid=28876)

Tech Question. by rompom7 on 07-19-2004 at 11:49 AM

Hello everyone, I will be brief.

I have recently learned how to build my own USB lamp, and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any software out there that I could use to control the lamp switching it on and off.

Also if anyone knows if this is possible or not, I am guessing because the lamp doesn't actually communicate with the USB interface that it would have to switch the power off and on or something similar.

Thanks all!

RE: Tech Question. by fluffy_lobster on 07-19-2004 at 12:12 PM

If you're using Windows XP, I would imagine that the Safely Remove Hardware feature would cut power to the USB port, if that helps.

I'm very intrigued into how you built this USB lamp.. I've always been interested in being able to make computer hardware that could be controlled by software, as there could be some very interesting potential for online interaction like the online fridge (I can't find the link any more :().

RE: Tech Question. by rompom7 on 07-19-2004 at 12:21 PM

I can't find the exact link I used to create my USB lamp, but here is a tutorial fairly similar to the one I used:
     http://www.modding.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=81

Anyone else have some ideas?

RE: Tech Question. by Dane on 07-19-2004 at 01:00 PM

Eh...Im not exactly smart when it comes to building computer lamps, but I assume its like every other thing that the computer uses: You need a Hardware Driver to control it.

RE: Tech Question. by saralk on 07-19-2004 at 01:14 PM

I have a USB light, and it just takes the power from the USB port, not detected at all on the add/remove hardware, so you need know drivers to use it

RE: Tech Question. by Dane on 07-19-2004 at 01:22 PM

Is yours configured the same way? Custom?

RE: Tech Question. by saralk on 07-19-2004 at 01:30 PM

yeah, i made mine myself

RE: Tech Question. by rompom7 on 07-21-2004 at 06:43 AM

No ideas anyone?

RE: Tech Question. by lizard.boy on 07-21-2004 at 02:52 PM

well somehow you would probably need to figure out how to use the data wires instead of just +5 and -5