Shoutbox

I,ROBOT - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: I,ROBOT (/showthread.php?tid=28905)

I,ROBOT by .blade// on 07-19-2004 at 11:46 PM

(Just a little off-topic, side not, I haven't been on much bcz I am house sitting for ppl with no internet :dodgy:)

Well I saw I,ROBOT on friday, and I thought it was generally a good movie (I will buy it, along with Spiderman 2 and Van Helsing when they come out on DVD :P) but it got me to wondering 2 questions:

• First off, what did you think of the movie/the movie's effects (it was shot in Vancouver Canada :refuck: I am only like 4 hours away :P)

• Second, and this one is more technical - do you think it is possible to have robots with fealings, dreams, and a form of consiousness within 20-30 years and be affordable enough for a middle class person can afford one? I don't just mean a stupid machine that responds to your requests via pre-programmed questions, I mean robots that can decide things on their own, and live among us, perhaps eventually esculating to something like what happened on the matrix (I don't mean the virtual world, I just mean machines eventually taking over after being oppressed for so long.

Just a little bit of information to help you with your answer(s):
  • The HONDA ACIMO robot can walk, move, and decifer its enviroment, and has the general shape of a human
    You can already purchase one for ~1.5 million USD :P
    The info page is at: http://world.honda.com/ASIMO/
    Current model, ASIMO V2:
    [Image: img_01.jpg] [Image: btn_asimo.jpg]

And here's the old model, P3 (Prototype 3):  [Image: img_03.jpg]
  • There is an experimental robot that currently can respond to your tone of voice with facial expressions and indeciferable gibberish (which will hopefully eventually be words)
  • An experimental robot, currently in progress, can respond to what you say using complex algorithims. It currently can respond to about 1/4 of what you say with an individual answer (not just a simple yes/no)

(Upon googling I found this artical about conscious robot:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Py104/dennett.rob.html )
RE: I,ROBOT by Maniac on 07-20-2004 at 02:48 AM

I saw trailers of the movie, and it looks pwitty good, so i will probably see it in the following days ....

As for your second question, yeah i think REAL AI will be discovered at some point, but i don't believe it will be in our life time. Maybe the day before we die someone will have a REALLY sophisticated robot, but i don't think we will have robots that actually "live" for quite a looooooooooooooooooong time :)

RE: I,ROBOT by Guido on 07-20-2004 at 03:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
yeah i think REAL AI will be discovered at some point
AI is not something you can really "discover". You just have to code it. And it's hard :P
RE: I,ROBOT by Pyroteq on 07-20-2004 at 06:29 AM

Ive seen the trailers too it looks pretty good and its got a OCC (Orange County Choppers) aka American Chopper bike in it..this one-

[Image: irobot_ani.gif]

Theres no better pictures so its most likely a custom bike but upon closer inspection is probly similar to this one-

[Image: bike1_ex.jpg]

but ill know for sure once ive seen the movie which i intend to do pretty soon.

RE: I,ROBOT by lizard.boy on 07-20-2004 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
Theres no better pictures so its most likely a custom bike
If it came out of occ what do you think it is?
RE: I,ROBOT by .blade// on 07-20-2004 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Ive seen the trailers too it looks pretty good and its got a OCC (Orange County Choppers) aka American Chopper bike in it..this one-

[Image: irobot_ani.gif]

Theres no better pictures so its most likely a custom bike but upon closer inspection is probly similar to this one-

[Image: bike1_ex.jpg]

:drool: That's awesome, but I never saw it ^o)

There was also this kick-ass AUDI custom (:drool:):
[Image: audirsq04_01.jpg]

(more pic.s and info at http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/audi_rsq.asp )

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
I saw trailers of the movie, and it looks pwitty good, so i will probably see it in the following days ....

As for your second question, yeah i think REAL AI will be discovered at some point, but i don't believe it will be in our life time. Maybe the day before we die someone will have a REALLY sophisticated robot, but i don't think we will have robots that actually "live" for quite a looooooooooooooooooong time :)

I don't think it's so far off (though it won't be "discovered" :P it will be made, hence ARTIFICIAL intelligence.

I reccomend you all see the movie, it was good, I give it ***1/2 out of **** :banana: (3.5 / 4)

Edit: One reason I may not have seen that bike is bcz that's the wrong image, that's the "T-REX" bike that you gave a larger image of, the little thumbnail says you have to stop by their retail store to see it :P
RE: I,ROBOT by WDZ on 07-20-2004 at 11:48 PM

quote:
Uhh... the OCC bike isn't IN the movie... :-/ They made it for Will Smith and unveiled it at the premiere of the movie. :p

Pics: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/amchopper/photo...irobot/irobot.html
RE: I,ROBOT by .blade// on 07-20-2004 at 11:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Uhh... the OCC bike isn't IN the movie... :-/ They made it for Will Smith and unveiled it at the premiere of the movie. :p

Pics: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/amchopper/photo...irobot/irobot.html

:drool: that is an awesome bike :refucK:
* .blade// wants one.

It's too bad I missed American Chopper last night :'( The place I am house sitting only has basic cable, and that doesn't include discovery channel :'(

and no internet aswell e_e
RE: I,ROBOT by WDZ on 07-21-2004 at 12:03 AM

:p

Well, there are always reruns...

Friday, July 23rd, 2004 - 21:00 EST
Saturday, July 24th, 2004 - 00:00, 15:00 EST

RE: I,ROBOT by .blade// on 07-21-2004 at 12:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
:p

Well, there are always reruns...

Friday, July 23rd, 2004 - 21:00 EST
Saturday, July 24th, 2004 - 00:00, 15:00 EST

Thanks....I'll try to get home on Saturday to watch it
* .blade// hugs his digital cable box :p

btw, I had no idea their bikes were so expensive X_X They START at 45,000 USD...mind you they ARE hand made, but that is a little pricey for a chopper...I'd rather have a street rod for that much ;)
RE: I,ROBOT by Pyroteq on 07-21-2004 at 11:22 AM

Bastards!! Should have had it in the movie!! I saw the preview i was wondering what type of car that was.

Blade- No way..choppers are mad!  a guy paid like 300aus grand to get a custom built in ten days

RE: I,ROBOT by chungster on 07-30-2004 at 10:00 AM

i hate robots they ll be the end of us unless we make sure they cant think then ill be happy

RE: I,ROBOT by illuzn on 07-30-2004 at 10:45 AM

Some simple forms of machine intelligence already exists in the form of neural networks. Robots built with simple neural networks (only a few interconnected transistors)... an example of this intelligence is a solar powered neural network two legged creature.... it willl automatically attempt to locate the position with highest sunlight and will circle that spot kicking any other robots out of the area

RE: I,ROBOT by user27089 on 07-30-2004 at 10:52 AM

I think that one way or another, no matter what we will be killed out, whether it be a comet, HIV or robots. So too me, I think that robots are  harmless for the time being, but withing the next 50 years, robots will advance, but not too the stage of thinking for themselves.

The bike is wicked, and I really want too watch the film, it looks cool. I love that Audi, its soo nice, I hope cars are like that in the future :|, its gonna be cool :p