Shoutbox

Virus and dodgy dialer won't budge - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Virus and dodgy dialer won't budge (/showthread.php?tid=28951)

Virus and dodgy dialer won't budge by Vazza on 07-21-2004 at 11:20 AM

Hey all

I require some help. I've got a computer from one of my dad's collegues to try to get it to access the internet. The problem is that there is a :dodgy: file called dialler.dilos a few adware counters and a virus in the diskserv.exe. They're using Norton 2004 and according to the site with the dialler and diskserv virus, all I need to do is update the definations. I've done that and I still can't remove it. The reason I think it can't connect to the internet is due to this dialer.dilos trying to connect but can't due to the firewall.

Any suggestions on what I can do, because I don't really want to do a complete wipe if I can avoid. Using Windows ME (I don't know much about this as I'm still in, what could be called the dark ages with 98 SE)

RE: Virus and dodgy dialer won't budge by CookieRevised on 07-21-2004 at 12:47 PM

You can start by booting up in safemode and use a virusscanner to remove the virusses, and a anti-adware tool to remove the spyware/adware...

After that, and you know the system is clean, you can boot up again like normal and fix the internet settings...

Also, on symantec (company that makes Norton Antivirus) you can always read how you exactly have to proceed to remove a particular virus completely (often involves booting up in safe made and tweaking the registry). They have very detailed explainations for each virus-removal and often also tools to remove a individual virus(family). I suggest you to read that after Norton has detected what type of virus it is...

RE: Virus and dodgy dialer won't budge by Vazza on 07-21-2004 at 12:50 PM

okay and I'd manage safemode how? Like I said, ME is new ground for me

RE: Virus and dodgy dialer won't budge by CookieRevised on 07-21-2004 at 12:55 PM

Boot your PC up and after the POST-messages (where you can press DEL (or similar) to go into the bios), you can press F8 to have a menu where you can choose how you wanna boot windows up....

^^ all this is before you even see the Windows Bootup and Welcome screens...
(so press F8 like a maniac as soon as the PC starts up ;))

RE: Virus and dodgy dialer won't budge by The Napster on 07-21-2004 at 01:00 PM

Another option would be to format ur hard drive, it always works :D

RE: Virus and dodgy dialer won't budge by Millenium_edition on 07-21-2004 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
because I don't really want to do a complete wipe if I can avoid.

RE: Virus and dodgy dialer won't budge by Dane on 07-21-2004 at 04:58 PM

Well...Everyone knows I research viruses...Got the name of the virus handy?

RE: Virus and dodgy dialer won't budge by Vazza on 07-22-2004 at 12:31 PM

hi all

Finally got the dialer and virus to go [Image: woot.gif] and all I need to do now is do one final virus scan and adaware scan to make sure everythings all okay. So thanks for the help.

Don't have the virus name handy but apparently I'm getting the person's laptop over the weekend to sort out the exact same problem, so if I can (because I'll be working when it will be sorted) I'll get it and post it for you ;)