Shoutbox

Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! (/showthread.php?tid=28978)

Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Kafman on 07-21-2004 at 09:46 PM

This is true, the link is in spanish but the images are in english.

You have to do a new account with the MSN Explorer, so they will give you 2 GB of storage!!!!!

http://www.messengeradictos.com

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by ddunk on 07-21-2004 at 09:53 PM

Neowin has it in English, it says they've begun increasing hotmail to 250, but they haven't gotten my account yet.

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Kafman on 07-21-2004 at 09:56 PM

The point is that they increases to 2GB no 250MB
And you can get it by doing a new account...
I have one of this 2GB accounts, I tested with my old account, and it didn't work :S...

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by toddy on 07-21-2004 at 09:57 PM

i just signed up and it works

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Kryptonate on 07-21-2004 at 10:03 PM

could be they will soon change it back to 250MB for the free @msn.com users. It wouldn't be fair for the people who pay for 1GB of storage room in their Hotmail :-/. Anyway, I wonder why people always want more and more, like you ever gonna need 2GB of e-mail storage room.

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Millenium_edition on 07-21-2004 at 10:08 PM

at least google was creative by giving 1 gb... but yahoo and hotmail just copy what google did =/

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by dotNorma on 07-21-2004 at 10:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
at least google was creative by giving 1 gb... but yahoo and hotmail just copy what google did =/
Welcome to the buisiness world :cheesy:
RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Millenium_edition on 07-21-2004 at 10:13 PM

rofl google still owns you know ;)

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Guido on 07-21-2004 at 10:13 PM

They might lower the limit afterwards, don't get too excited... it's a system glitch.

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Kafman on 07-21-2004 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
it's a system glitch.
WTF!! is not a system glitch, do you think the web masters of messengeradictos would give false information
RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Millenium_edition on 07-21-2004 at 10:33 PM

it's an MSN system glitch

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Guido on 07-21-2004 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kafman
do you think the web masters of messengeradictos would give false information
Wtf?
I didn't say that :P In fact, they even acknowledge it's a system glitch on their website:
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.messengeradictos.com/
¿Será un error debido a la actualización o un duro golpe sorpresa a la competencia? NO SABEMOS SI ESTAS CUENTAS TENDRÁN 2Gb SIEMPRE o serán de prueba y luego se bajarán a 250Mb menos para los que paguen.

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Kryptonate on 07-21-2004 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kafman
quote:
it's a system glitch.
WTF!! is not a system glitch, do you think the web masters of messengeradictos would give false information
well, as long as it's not official I don't believe it will last long.

Besides, everyone can give false information or make a mistake :-/.
RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Kafman on 07-21-2004 at 10:40 PM

well... Hopefully they will keep the 2GB forever and free, and hopefully is not dodgy system glitch :P

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Maniac on 07-22-2004 at 01:23 AM

It is probably a dody system glitch ;)

But yeah i saw this on neowin, Hotmail will probably pull out 1Gb storage.... or at least keep raising it to try to get to Gmail's level...

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by -dt- on 07-22-2004 at 08:08 AM

blah gmail still looks better and gmail listen to feture requests  and i wont ever even use over 200mb

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Stigmata on 07-22-2004 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mess.be

dwergs says:

Just logged into Hotmail to find out its look had changed a bit again. What striked me most was the absence of the ever there red "99% bar" alerting my maximum storage was about to be reached. That could mean only one thing: yes, MSN is finally expanding the inbox size of both free and paid email accounts to 250mb and 2gb. With Google's Gmail gigabyte feature, it was only about time MSN made the same move to keep its current huge userbase. Email accounts are not being upgraded simultaneously, so it's perfectly possible you will have to wait a couple of days before you can enjoy your giant inbox.

I found a rather stupid email from MSN Hotmail Member Services in my inbox today as well, claiming I was about to reach my maximum storage of 2 gigabyte and urgent action was required. With only 9,5mb of used space, I'm taking this communcation was a small error and they meant to send out a proud announcement instead.

UPDATE: According to zeebaf on the Neowin Forums, you can get a 2000mb MSN/Hotmail Account for free like this:

- If you are using Windows XP SP1 run your MSN Explorer 7.02 and signup for new account.

- If you do NOT have Windows XP SP1 installed then download MSN Explorer 7.02 here and signup for new account.

According to follow-up forum posts this trick seems to work for most people, but keep in mind that this is a system glitch and MSN might correct it and downsize your account again later. Oh well, in that case you'll still have a good 250mb.

UPDATE 2: Hotmail is forcing spam filters into elaborate mode. I always used "low" because I never trusted the thing, but I just logged in only to find out it was set to a more stronger setting.

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Sk3tch on 07-22-2004 at 08:48 AM

quote:
Ooo... just one thing, they weren’t "Creative" in giving 1gb, they were cunning in planning a gimic to attract the 'crowds'. Creative isn’t making a ridiculously (kind of unnecessary) high storage space limit. Yes 1gb is.. well its nice, the bigger the better right? But having a system where you 'Archive' everything is there only 'creative' part when it comes to there difference with hotmail/yahoo/ect. You could say that they copied gmail, and you could be right.. but ive had gmail for a few weeks now, and to me.. its quality over quantity.. and that’s despite the beta form of it all. Not saying that hotmail is better quality, but it suits me fine :)
quote:
rofl google still owns you know 
:P

Hmm... weird glitch :S...  and 2000mb...  :dodgy:

* Sk3tch sticks with his simple 250 :tongue:
RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by ayjay on 07-22-2004 at 09:26 AM

Of course it's a glitch! Why would they give 2gb when you sign up with explorer but just 250mb with explorer and everything else? Of, by the way, I've done it and I finally have enough space to not have to delete everything every week.

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by reisyboy on 07-22-2004 at 10:04 AM

I wonder how long it will take for them to fix the MSN 7 problem :-/ Probably not long if done already but its probably not worth their while to reduce all the accounts created... but who knows the probably will :)

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by theguy on 07-22-2004 at 11:00 AM

Free accounts should be updated?

SWEET!

That could just be a typo, as I made my new e-mail address a short while ago, and have 2 mb of storage space (Canada)

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by |Rolando| on 07-22-2004 at 12:35 PM

i got me an @msn.com email... it's true.. 2gb :D

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Tarry on 07-22-2004 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MessengerAdictos.com
Hace escasos minutos (13:00) ha quedado deshabilitada la posibilidad de obtener gratuitamente cuentas gratuitas de 2 Gb de almacenamiento de MSN, lo que confirma las sospechas que teniamos sobre que se trataba de un error informático (bug).

No obstante, DE MOMENTO las cuentas creadas cuando el bug estaba activo siguen informando que su tamaño es de 2000 Mb, así que los que se dieron prisa pueden seguir disfrutando gratuitamente de ellas (esperemos que durante mucho tiempo).

Como ya hemos publicado en anteriores noticias, las cuentas de hotmail gratuitas subirán a la capacidad de 250 Mb en otoño aproximadamente y las cuentas premium serán de 2 Gb. Esperamos que gracias a nuestra publicación de ayer, muchos de vosotros no tengáis que pagar nada ;)

It actually was a bug. The article says that at 13:00 today (Spanish time) they stopped giving out 2GB accounts but the ones that were given out during the time of the bug do still have 2GB of storage.
RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by PenguinBoy on 07-26-2004 at 02:19 PM

i don't want a new e-mail address
can't i just update somehow?

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by toddy on 07-26-2004 at 02:23 PM

you can't get any 2gb account for free no more.  if you read the post above yours it says it was a bug and they stopped giving them out on the 22nd

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Guido on 07-26-2004 at 11:07 PM

Just a question:

All free accounts haven't been updated to 250mb yet... but all new @hotmail.com ones do get the 250mb instantly, right?

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by ddunk on 07-26-2004 at 11:22 PM

quote:
Just a question:

All free accounts haven't been updated to 250mb yet... but all new @hotmail.com ones do get the 250mb instantly, right?

No, it doesn't seem so, my Hotmail is still 2MB (over a year old) and the new one I just created has only 2MB
RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by PenguinBoy on 07-28-2004 at 03:39 PM

It seems to me that hotmail just mess us about, that's why there are so many confuzed users. It is as if they are trying to con us by advertising changes early so that people think that they are competition for gmail and will release better e-mail before gmail do. I want gmail. NOW. unfortunately i haven't had an invite. I'm switching, the seccond i get a chance...

will gmail be usable in msn messenger, because the people beta testing gmail still seem to use, hotmail for msn. If it is applicable, can msn messenger check ur gmails?

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Kryptonate on 07-28-2004 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PenguinBoy
will gmail be usable in msn messenger, because the people beta testing gmail still seem to use, hotmail for msn. If it is applicable, can msn messenger check ur gmails?
you can use every e-mail you want in MSN Messenger, you first have to register it at http://www.passport.net and you'll then get a verification e-mail.

For the mail checking: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=29...d=283025#pid283025
RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Anubis on 07-28-2004 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
the new one I just created has only 2MB
I believe Mess.be commented on the fact that this was a bug, its now been fixed...don't worry the 250mb storage will be out for everyone soon...as well as XP SP2...ah good times...
RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by toddy on 07-30-2004 at 08:46 PM

has every1's 2000mb gone down ?

mine is now back to 2mb

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Animefan on 08-02-2004 at 02:36 PM

Hotmail is C*R*A*P ^o)

Who is even using that idiotic stuff yet? :^)

Gmail = 1 GB storage free

or just take ummm my internet for explample... 10 MB free email???

EVERYTHING is better than hotmail... Dont use it...*-)

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by Chestah on 08-06-2004 at 10:26 PM

agreed :P if you want slow, loads of advertising :)  go hotmail ;)

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by osva on 09-01-2004 at 05:44 PM

Well my account (@hotmail) just increase automatically to 250MB
and stayed that way..

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by fluffy_lobster on 09-01-2004 at 06:07 PM

dodgy, mine hasn't.  but who cares, i don't use it :P

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by osva on 09-01-2004 at 07:22 PM

I dont use it... i have gmail..
its just that I was upgraded for free to 250mb and 250mb its just nice..but.................
1gb its just awesome.

RE: Hotmail increases 2 GB!!!!! by matty on 09-01-2004 at 07:26 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=300983]
Boring!