Shoutbox

Ipod G3 or G4? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Ipod G3 or G4? (/showthread.php?tid=29141)

Ipod G3 or G4? by .blade// on 07-26-2004 at 05:41 PM

OK, firstly, don't reply if you're not going to give an intelligent answer, I don'[t want something like "Buy the G4 because it's newer!" or something like that.

Here's the deal - I have finally saved up enough money to buy an IPOD, but I can't decide on G3 or G4.

The G3 IPOD's are now on sale because the G4's just came out. The only major difference between G3 and G4 is that the G3 has an 8 hour batter life, and the G4 has a 12 hour battery life, on top of a new scroll wheel style.

I can buy a G3 15 gig. IPOD for $325.00 (CAD) + tax at the futureshop here right now, or I can order a G4 20 gig. IPOD for $300 USD which is aprox. $450 CAD (I live in Canada). The reason I can get the Ipod for $325 instead of $350 is because London drugs sells them for cheaper and futureshop honour's another store's lower price.

the link to the 15 gig. G3 I can buy @ futureshop is:
here

the link to the 20 gig. G4 I can buy @ Apple is:
here

(note, I wouldn't get my G4 for AT LEAST a month or two if I bought it from apple becasue I don't have enough for tax and shipping, and there are already back orders.)

Please give a HELPFUL oppinion.

Edit: Everyone likes picture ;):

Generation 3 (blue one is an IPOD mini - disregard):
[Image: ipodh.jpg]

Generation 4:
[Image: ipod.jpg]

RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by wj on 07-26-2004 at 06:00 PM

I love my g3 and I think the g4 with the updated look is a little ugly and harder to controll with the tap-scroll crap, The actuall tactile feel from the little buttons on the g3 iPods are very nice when your trying to fumble arround with them while driving.

Just my $0.02

RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by dotNorma on 07-26-2004 at 06:01 PM

I too am getting an iPod soon.

I decided on the 4rth Generation one.

For one the 4rth Generation 20GB is 299$ which is a major cheapness.

Also , The batterry life has been extended to a more decent amount and it would seem the LCD Screens are brighter. They are also thinner and the only reason not to but it is because the 3rd Generation is cheaper.

And as I beleive apple is giving free two line engravings for a limited time.

RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by .blade// on 07-26-2004 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
I too am getting an iPod soon.

I decided on the 4rth Generation one.

For one the 4rth Generation 20GB is 299$ which is a major cheapness.

Also , The batterry life has been extended to a more decent amount and it would seem the LCD Screens are brighter. They are also thinner and the only reason not to but it is because the 3rd Generation is cheaper.

And as I beleive apple is giving free two line engravings for a limited time.

OK, I listed the extended battery life and stuff already, and like I said, I live in Canada, so it's about $125.00 cheaper for the G3 IPOD (and on top of that I need to pay shipping, boarder charges and crap like that too.)

I wouldn't mind a G3 OR a G4

quote:
Originally posted by wj
I love my g3 and I think the g4 with the updated look is a little ugly and harder to controll with the tap-scroll crap, The actuall tactile feel from the little buttons on the g3 iPods are very nice when your trying to fumble arround with them while driving.

Just my $0.02

Thx for the oppinion, and the only reason the coloured the wheel grey:throwup: is because otherwise they would look (from the front at least) like a G2 (or was it the G1?), which also had a click wheel o.O
RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by dotNorma on 07-26-2004 at 06:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
I live in Canada, so it's about $125.00 cheaper for the G3 IPOD (and on top of that I need to pay shipping, boarder charges and crap like that too.)

Well if its 125$ Cheaper you should get the G3. There isnt alot of difference anyway.
RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by .blade// on 07-26-2004 at 06:34 PM

quote:
quote:
I live in Canada, so it's about $125.00 cheaper for the G3 IPOD (and on top of that I need to pay shipping, boarder charges and crap like that too.)

Well if its 125$ Cheaper you should get the G3. There isnt alot of difference anyway.

Well I know...but it is 5 GB bigger, has 4 hours more battery life, and  comes with the USB cable I need (no firewire here) :P

It's a hard choice but I will prob. buy the G3 bcz I can get it here and now :P
RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by wj on 07-26-2004 at 07:27 PM

The G1's had a similar click whell, but the buttons were tactile butons arround the wheel so there was actuall mechanical buttons. I'm all about the G3 and honestly, do you expect to use the 5 extra gb and when are you going to run through 8 hours of music (constant use remember)

RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by dom. on 07-26-2004 at 09:49 PM

im definatly going for the G4 mate, because i need the improved battery life.. (and its cheaper than the g3 here)

but if you dont need more than 6-8 hours battery life, get the 3g if its cheaper.. :p

RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by |Rolando| on 07-26-2004 at 09:57 PM

G3 looks better
G4 is cheaper and it's battery lasts longer
:)

RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by Guido on 07-26-2004 at 11:55 PM

IMO, G4s look better and the click wheel is a much better control type. It might look harder to use or worse at first glance, but don't give an opinion until you've tried it or the Mini wheel. (if you did, well... I shut up :P)

I would definitely encourage you to buy the G4 one, unless the cost difference is very important to you.

Oh, and the G1/G2s definitely didn't have a click wheel.
The G1s had an actual rotating, mechanical wheel in the middle and the mechanical buttons around it. The G2s replaced that real wheel with a touch scroll wheel (the mechanism under the "hood" was the same, they only changed the outsides) but the buttons were still outside the wheel.

RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by bach_m on 07-27-2004 at 12:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by |Rolando|
G3 looks better

the G4 is only cheaper because they removed the carrying case and remote from both models, and the dock for the 20GB....
RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by Joe on 07-27-2004 at 02:40 AM

HE GOT A G3!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by .blade// on 07-27-2004 at 02:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
quote:
Originally posted by |Rolando|
G3 looks better

the G4 is only cheaper because they removed the carrying case and remote from both models, and the dock for the 20GB....

Well that doesn't matter anymore because I bought a Generation 3 - 15 GB IPOD for very good price :banana:

* .blade// now owns an ipod :banana::bananaxmas::banana::bananaxmas::banana:
RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by bach_m on 07-27-2004 at 10:54 AM

quote:

* blade know owns an ipod

and yet doesn't know how to spell :P
RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by .blade// on 07-27-2004 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
quote:

* blade know owns an ipod

and yet doesn't know how to spell :P

:dodgy: ever heard of a typo? :dodgy:
RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by dotNorma on 07-27-2004 at 05:39 PM

Yay for Blade!

Hopefully I can pull of getting my iPod on Friday :banana:

RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by .blade// on 07-27-2004 at 05:41 PM

quote:
Yay for Blade!

Hopefully I can pull of getting my iPod on Friday :banana:

:banana: it's so awesome :banana:...though the ear buds are a bit :dodgy: dodgy :P
RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by lizard.boy on 07-28-2004 at 12:12 AM

ok people same deal here. my first ipod was stolen (:@) and i'm replaceing it.  i have the choice of 15gb g3, 20gb g3, or a 20gb g4

-> i have a firewire cable and a dock for a g3 (extra)

-> no matter what i buy i would buy an iSkin evo (when available $34.24) and the dock and case for a 20 gb g3 would be useless or a pain in the ass.

-> i dont need the usb cable out of the 4g because my parents bought a firewire card with my first 'Pod. but the usb from a 4g would be good when i use my pod as a harddisk at friend's houses.

-> the 4g has more battary life and i spend most weekends in the summer with 4 hours in a car and no constant electricity at my cottage.

-> clickwheel / touch buttons issue - personally i think i like the clickwheel because i wouldnt have to really look at the ipod to change songs.

-> the accesorie i would use would be the wired remote ($49.00) that comes with earphones if bought seperatly. i suppose a backup set wouldnt be bad but its a ripoff.

20gb g4 = $429.00
20gb g3 = $424.00
15gb g3 = $354.00

*all prices are cad unless otherwise stated
** i have never used preview so many times

RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by .blade// on 07-28-2004 at 12:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
20gb g4 = $429.00
20gb g3 = $424.00
15gb g3 = $354.00

go with the G3 15 gig...I can tell u how to get it for $30 less :banana:
RE: RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by Pyroteq on 07-28-2004 at 09:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj

I completley agree and i have a G3 i personally think the G4 is ugly and i dont like the buttons but if u want the extra battery life and the 1mm smaller then go for it
RE: Ipod G3 or G4? by bach_m on 07-28-2004 at 12:25 PM

read the ipodlounge Power user review, and decide for urself :P