Shoutbox

microsoft IMing people - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: microsoft IMing people (/showthread.php?tid=29228)

microsoft IMing people by tomfletcherman on 07-29-2004 at 07:31 AM

My friend told me that microsoft had sent him an instant message one day warning him not to use third party add ons. Anyone else had this, cos he didn't save the conversation and cant really remember what they said?

RE: microsoft IMing people by user27089 on 07-29-2004 at 07:50 AM

I severely doubt that msn would do this, as their are millions of people world-wide that are using plugins, they wouldn't target certain people too speak to, this IM was most probably a fake..

RE: microsoft IMing people by Anubis on 07-29-2004 at 09:02 AM

M$ wouldn't use an IM convocation to warn someone... the maximum they'd do if they were desperate to get a message to all user's they'd send a message to all hotmail users...

RE: microsoft IMing people by MsnFreak4eva on 07-29-2004 at 02:36 PM

Doubt It

MSN Dont Send IM's Do They?

Scary!

The'd Prob Email Or Just Ban You =]

RE: microsoft IMing people by toddy on 07-29-2004 at 02:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MsnFreak4eva

anubis has already said that
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
M$ wouldn't use an IM convocation to warn someone
read other peoples post before posting the same thing
RE: microsoft IMing people by CookieRevised on 07-29-2004 at 03:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
My friend told me that microsoft had sent him an instant message one day warning him not to use third party add ons. Anyone else had this, cos he didn't save the conversation and cant really remember what they said?
Like said before, MS would not use instant messages...

However.....

If your friend has mailed an MS-helpdesk with some sort of question or something. Then yes, they can send him an email back saying that. Big companies (not pointing the finger to MS only) often state such things because they don't have the time or resources to put into investigating every possible 3rd part addon to see if it is safe to use or if it will break things.

Btw, we, on this forum, do the same in a sense if someone comes here and say "I installed product X and Messenger doesn't work anymore", we often say "don't use :dodgy: programs"... This is just the same, so don't say MS is lazy or something. (although it can be frustrating when you recieve that message with "don't use 3rd party addons" without anything else, while you almost certain know that it doesn't have anything to do with it.)

RE: microsoft IMing people by user27089 on 07-29-2004 at 03:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MsnFreak4eva
Doubt It

Scary!

The'd Prob Email Or Just Ban You =]

They wouldn't know that you have the 3rd Party Addons would they?  Isn't that like an invasion of privacy, if they look in your programs :S
RE: microsoft IMing people by CookieRevised on 07-29-2004 at 03:47 PM

No they can't know

Well to be precise: some tools tamper with the protocol, so in that way yes, they could know that you're using something which isn't designed or approved by them... And, no it wouldn't be an invasion of privacy if they used the server's logs to check that, because it is stated very clearly that using unapproved 3rd party applications to connect or use the protocol is illegal and isn't permitted and that actions can be taken...

RE: microsoft IMing people by Guido on 07-29-2004 at 05:41 PM

Simple: if they didn't want you to use third party tools, they would just block them by removing all the APIs they intentionally created for Messenger or just making it harder to interact with it.

RE: microsoft IMing people by RaceProUK on 07-30-2004 at 09:09 AM

The APIs for Messenger have nothing to do with the protocol, so they won't remove them. In order to communicate over the protocol, you'll have to 're-invent the wheel' and write the code yourself.