Shoutbox

Bloody Speakers - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Bloody Speakers (/showthread.php?tid=29229)

Bloody Speakers by Pyroteq on 07-29-2004 at 08:43 AM

Hey er anyone help with this my speakers just randomly stopped working they play NO sound at all thru my computer, i have a PCI card and everythings installed correctly. They were working yesterday. My windows says that everythings fine.

Ive tried all sorts of formatted songs with all the audio programs on my computer, i tried an Audio CD too... My "Audio Demo" the test thats on here i tried to use and i got a variety of error messages the first time but after restarting the demo worked except that i still didnt hear anything. I havnt installed any new hardware scince they have stopped working or done anything that could possibly prevent them from working.

RE: Bloody Speakers by kao on 07-29-2004 at 08:51 AM

try a pair of headphones to see if its a hardware problem or not, if headphones dont work either then either the speakers are bust, or the wire is fucked.

RE: Bloody Speakers by Anubis on 07-29-2004 at 08:58 AM

Try less drastic methods like Kao's headphone idea first before considering this;
Try putting the PCI card into another PCI slot, my old PC had the same problem and that always fixed it.
Also it messed up my dial up connection; if you use a dial-up connection (non-broadband) check if that's still working...

RE: Bloody Speakers by Pyroteq on 07-29-2004 at 09:11 AM

I cant be bothered to take apart my computer but i will if i have to. i tested the speakers in my iPod and they worked fine so its not them looks to be the hardware ill test headfones..No i use broadband...Testing headfones now..P.S the volume ISNT on mute... anddd headfones..failed..looks to be the PCI card...

RE: Bloody Speakers by Anubis on 07-29-2004 at 09:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
I cant be bothered to take apart my computer
Its a 2 minute job...although I do know someone who got a small electric shock off his PCI graphics card when the dumbass took it out without unplugging the computer...

Just simply take the lid off your computer, take out the PCI card and place it in another slot...take your pic...you're hardly "taking apart your computer", lol
RE: Bloody Speakers by Pyroteq on 07-29-2004 at 09:44 AM

lol my computer has like 99999999999 screws in the back of it its going to take ages...

RE: Bloody Speakers by user27089 on 07-29-2004 at 09:52 AM

THats holding all of the attachments on, it should be a simple slide out,  so it shouldn't take long.

RE: Bloody Speakers by Pyroteq on 07-29-2004 at 10:30 AM

I did it, i switched the PCI card into the 2nd slot and yes its in properly but it still dosnt work..any ideas? is it possible that my PCI card is entierly broken and i need a new one? :| It is five years old

Edit: I installed the lastest website drivers and everything worked until i played an MP3 in winamp...windows media player had no probs (that was a .wma file btw) so maybe its a conflict between my PCI card and Winamp or my PCI card and MP3's? Any ideas?

RE: Bloody Speakers by The Napster on 07-29-2004 at 12:43 PM

I have something like that:
i use Sunrise MP to stream Swiss Radio stations, when i launch winamp while it is playing theres no sound anymore, maybe u got a proble like it?

RE: Bloody Speakers by Pyroteq on 07-29-2004 at 12:44 PM

maybe...im going to reinstall later tonight and try not using winamp and play the MP3's thru WMP and if it works i might just have to avoid Winamp

RE: Bloody Speakers by .blade// on 07-30-2004 at 12:05 AM

quote:
maybe...im going to reinstall later tonight and try not using winamp and play the MP3's thru WMP and if it works i might just have to avoid Winamp

Do you have abother OS on your system, or even another windows account? Try it on there if you do. You might also want to try it on anotehr computer e.g. your friend's computer.
RE: Bloody Speakers by Pyroteq on 07-30-2004 at 11:07 AM

Ok i opened my MP3's in WMP And it works perfect so its obviously a conflict between my PCI card and Winamp player for some reason (It always worked before)
No i dont have another OS or another account..should i test the card with my friends cpu and winamp to see if its just my winamp or system config?

RE: Bloody Speakers by Anubis on 07-30-2004 at 11:24 AM

quote:
its obviously a conflict between my PCI card and Winamp player for some reason
Not necessarily your PCI card that's causing the conflict...it could be that a Winamp runtime file is screwed...
quote:
No i dont have another OS or another account
Create a new account (click on user Accounts in the control panel, and then click create a new account, the rest is straightforward, I assume you use XP or 2000 if not read up on how to create an account in another Windows OS)...then try to play mp3's in Winamp in the new account...
quote:
my friends cpu
CPU isn't an abbreviation for computer, it stands for central processing unit...and it's the motherboard and BIOS not CPU that really manages the PCI card. And to that question of putting your PCI card into your friends PC, well no its not really a good idea, chances are that its incompatible, don't do it ;)...I think your error is more in the area of software from what you've told us so far and there probably isn't any hardware problem causing it...
RE: Bloody Speakers by matty on 07-30-2004 at 02:01 PM

Check the volume control 8-)

Start > Control Panel > Switch to Classic View if needed > Sounds and Audio Devices > Click the box to place an icon of a speaker in the taskbar. If you get an error about something not being installed do this.

Close the Sounds and Audio Devices and double click Add Remove Programs > Click Add Remove Windows COmponents on the left > Onces its loaded uncheck Accessories and recheck it then click Next all the way through

RE: Bloody Speakers by jren207 on 07-30-2004 at 03:41 PM

Make sure your PCI sound device is windows' default device. (Unless your PCI sound card is the only sound device).