Shoutbox

Sponsor Program becoming agressive? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Sponsor Program becoming agressive? (/showthread.php?tid=29310)

Sponsor Program becoming agressive? by .blade// on 07-30-2004 at 09:12 PM

Well here's the deal, I mistakenly installed teh Sponsor program when I installed MsgPlus 3.01, and got rid of it via how is instructed in several threads in this forum. All was well before I left to start house-sitting (which I still am, but I go back to my house to use the PC.) I don't usually use IE, but I did to look @ the Halo 2 ilovebees.com thing and noticed the sponsor search bar was there (and I got rid of it @ the end of June, I checked.) I have not installed/modified anything accept adding software support through my IPOD and 1 freeware program (both of which AFTER I noticed the search bar was back.)

Anyone know what's going on? (I tried getting rid of it again...it's baaaAAAck o.O)

RE: Sponsor Program becoming agressive? by Dane on 07-30-2004 at 10:39 PM

Did you try http://www.lop.com/new_uninstall.exe

RE: Sponsor Program becoming agressive? by CookieRevised on 07-30-2004 at 10:50 PM

My first suggestion would be, try to reinstall WITH the sponsor and then uninstall Plus! again. But make absolutely sure that ALL your browser windows are closed (instead of using http://www.lop.com/new_uninstall.exe)....

RE: Sponsor Program becoming agressive? by .blade// on 07-30-2004 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
My first suggestion would be, try to reinstall WITH the sponsor and then uninstall Plus! again. But make absolutely sure that ALL your browser windows are closed (instead of using http://www.lop.com/new_uninstall.exe)....

I tried that o.O last time I un-installed Plus! re-installed WITH sponsor, un-installed again, then re-intalled WITHOUT sponsor...

Like I said, it WAS gone, but it came back for no apparent reason o.O
RE: Sponsor Program becoming agressive? by lopardo on 07-30-2004 at 11:35 PM

Maybe you can uninstall it with BHODemon (it checks for browser helper objects for IE). And maybe you should check what programs are in the autorun list with Autoruns.

RE: Sponsor Program becoming agressive? by Craig1 on 07-31-2004 at 07:07 AM

Try Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware. It happened to me to and they got rid of all the sponser programs.

RE: Sponsor Program becoming agressive? by Patchou on 07-31-2004 at 07:09 AM

It came back?? strange... I know they are currently updating their softwre to provide a much better/useful bar, that may be a glitch related to the current update. Can you tell me exactly how much time it takes for the bar to come back by itself? also, did you close all your programs before unisntallign the sponsor and did you restart your computer after the uninstall?

RE: Sponsor Program becoming agressive? by Anubis on 07-31-2004 at 08:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Craig1
Try Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware. It happened to me to and they got rid of all the sponser programs.
Do not use Spybot search and Destroy or Adware removers to get rid of the sponsor program in Messenger Plus!...it can just lead to  the sponsor getting damaged and making it harder to remove...
RE: Sponsor Program becoming agressive? by .blade// on 07-31-2004 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
It came back?? strange... I know they are currently updating their softwre to provide a much better/useful bar, that may be a glitch related to the current update. Can you tell me exactly how much time it takes for the bar to come back by itself? also, did you close all your programs before unisntallign the sponsor and did you restart your computer after the uninstall?

I am not sure how long it took to come back (Like I said, I am house sitting, so to use my PC I come home, and either way I used FF for the large part of browsing.)

I followed the instructions (closed EVERYTHING, even norton and windowblinds) and then restarted, did a search with AdAware AND Spybot, re-started again and everything was fine (this was the second time, the first time I didn't use the ad/spyware programs) and it came back :S

If it is something to do with the updates, that would mean that even if you don't want it to, a little fragment always stays with your PC o.O