Shoutbox

"start weird" - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: "start weird" (/showthread.php?tid=29312)

"start weird" by marissa on 07-30-2004 at 09:50 PM

Well, this weird thing popped up on my msn. I dont know the reason for it or when it appeared there but look at the image. Start Weird

RE: "start weird" by .blade// on 07-30-2004 at 10:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
Well, this weird thing popped up on my msn. I dont know the reason for it or when it appeared there but look at the image. Start Weird

I don't see anything weird ^o) That happens when you hit that downward-pointing arrow...
RE: "start weird" by ddunk on 07-30-2004 at 10:09 PM

She's talking about the last option, "Start Weird" The little blue dot thing appears when you have a game from Microsoft installed and you can invite someone to play it online with you.

I looked through all the games that Microsoft creates and failed to find anything that starts with 'weird' so thats... dare I say... weird? :P

http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/default.aspx is all the games that will give you that extra option in MSN

RE: "start weird" by marissa on 07-30-2004 at 10:09 PM

you boys dont see the "start weird" thing on the bottom? Thats the weird thing, i wanted to know waht it was from.

RE: "start weird" by .blade// on 07-30-2004 at 10:13 PM

quote:
you boys dont see the "start weird" thing on the bottom? Thats the weird thing, i wanted to know waht it was from.

Ya I noticed that now....^o) do you have any skins for MSN or M$ games installed?
RE: "start weird" by CookieRevised on 07-30-2004 at 10:14 PM

This has nothing todo with skins and/or Microsoft Games....

She obviously installed something that adds new applications to that menu. You can add/remove your own apps by tweaking the registry....

So, to delete it, close MSN Messenger completely... Then either uninstall the dodgy program that you have installed (or tried out). Or edit the registry yourself:

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MessengerService\SessionManager\Apps
Under that key you'll see many strange numbers, all those numbers are ID's for added applications, one of those numbers is the "Start something wierd"-option....

So click on each number and look into the right window if you can see "something wierd" as a value for "name". If you do, delete the entire number from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MessengerService\SessionManager\Apps

btw, the value of "path" contains the actual program that is started when you press that thing in msn messenger... You may wanna check that out, as this could be something dodgy....

RE: "start weird" by jren207 on 07-30-2004 at 10:22 PM

the two 3 degrees items that are usually at the bottom aren't there either

(groups and musicmix, introduced in ver 6.1)

RE: "start weird" by CookieRevised on 07-30-2004 at 10:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
the two 3 degrees items that are usually at the bottom aren't there either :S
That's only if you actual install those things...
RE: "start weird" by jren207 on 07-30-2004 at 10:27 PM

I have them everytime I install MSN Messenger. I don't have 3 degrees installed and when I click one of the items, it opens a page to download the software.

Or is it just my PC? :S

RE: "start weird" by toddy on 07-30-2004 at 10:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
no its not, well i haven't install anything and i got them
RE: "start weird" by marissa on 07-30-2004 at 10:29 PM

Thanks Cookie. It was from visiting some dodgy friends site dbgtrgr.tk Deleting that work. thanks again:)

RE: "start weird" by CookieRevised on 07-30-2004 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
quote:
no its not, well i haven't install anything and i got them
Those two items are build into MSN Messenger but they won't be active (unless you where screwing aruond with some settings in the registry or you aren't using the default messenger)....

They ONLY become active when you actually installed the products...
they wont appear out of thin air....

quote:
Thanks Cookie. It was from visiting some dodgy friends site dbgtrgr.tk Deleting that work. thanks again:)
nice it is fixed... but then again... you may want to check your security settings in your browser. As that item can't appear on its own, you actually have to edit the registry. So either your installed something yourself, or the browser did it for you. In the later case, your browsers settings are dangerous....
RE: "start weird" by marissa on 07-30-2004 at 10:58 PM

hm, actually, i just asked my sister something about that site and she went on it and was looking around on it. Maybe she could have installed something from there *shrugs*

EDIT: i just look at my security and stuff, it seems good :\

RE: "start weird" by jren207 on 07-30-2004 at 11:12 PM

quote:

Those two items are build into MSN Messenger but they won't be active (unless you where screwing aruond with some settings in the registry or you aren't using the default messenger)....

They ONLY become active when you actually installed the products...
they wont appear out of thin air....

[Image: attachment.php?pid=284806]

I wonder if it's because I live in the UK, because when I click one of them 3 degrees items, this url opens:

http://messenger.msn.com/help/threedegrees.aspx?mkt=en-gb

en-gb

I honestly haven't tweaked any registry settings for MSN Messenger.
RE: "start weird" by toddy on 07-30-2004 at 11:17 PM

yeh as jren says, is it something to do with living in the uk ?

coz i haven't  haven't changed any settings in the registry (well not since formatting my harddrive lastweek) and i havenn't installed the program

RE: "start weird" by M73A on 07-30-2004 at 11:28 PM

i have them 3 degrees fings, i NO that i havent edited the reigistry as i dont dare touch it incase i change sumat im not ment to. wat dif dus it make wehter ur in the uk or not:S

RE: "start weird" by toddy on 07-30-2004 at 11:32 PM

because different countries get different things.  for example only some countries can access certain games such as the football game that came out for EURO 2004

RE: "start weird" by CookieRevised on 07-30-2004 at 11:37 PM

I stand corrected then...

But I must say, before I posted that comment that I did try to change my Passport profile to the UK, deleted all cookies, settings, messenger and MSIE cache, used the UK-messenger, etc... I got all the nice "UK"-tabs and everything that is UK related, but I didn't not get the 3° stuff.....