Shoutbox

my d and e drives have gone please help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: my d and e drives have gone please help (/showthread.php?tid=29372)

my d and e drives have gone please help by vincerooney on 08-01-2004 at 03:25 AM

This continues from a while ago i really need some help.

- a week ago i got the w32.gaobot virus. i followed the instructions to get rid of it. except it had done nothing which it said it would do on the norton virus page. it hadnt changed the servers or added addresses etc.

maybe this is unrelated but now my d drive and e drives have totally gone. i go onto my computer and theres no drives installed. i put a cd into the computer and it doesnt recognise anything.

i really need somebodys help and i dont know where to turn for this help. i have medium IT knowledge but nothing that superb to deal with this.

please help.

RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by Dane on 08-01-2004 at 03:29 AM

I'll read the writeup on Gaobot and try and help.  Which version of the GAOBOT did you get?

did you try running The Gaobot Removal Tool

Theres tons of versions, view them all at This url and tell me which you had.

RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by vincerooney on 08-01-2004 at 03:33 AM

Thank you very much. I quarantined the virus and then deleted it. it had done nothing as it had said so i thought that was the end of it.

my computer has been doing something wacky things recently. like then i start the computer it goes through two weird set up screens and tells me that something like the 'atapi is incompatible' i think thats what it says something like it. this only comes up sometimes.

my D drive has no come up but only after 10 minutes of an audio CD coming up. its playing in realone player but windows media player doesnt even recognise i have any drives. the e drive is still missing from my computer.

i did a virus check friday on norton, virus definitions pretty much uptodate and it was clean.

RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by Dane on 08-01-2004 at 03:35 AM

This could be the drive, the "atapi".  Did you try reinstalling the drivers?

RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by vincerooney on 08-01-2004 at 03:36 AM

w32.gaobot.azt virus

RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by Dane on 08-01-2004 at 03:40 AM

Do you use Norton Goback, Adaptec Goback or Roxio Goback (all the same product, just passed through 3 companies)?  Or Norton SystemWorks 2003 or 2004?  This would be the ideal way to recover from the problem.

RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by vincerooney on 08-01-2004 at 03:42 AM

Nope i dont have any of them just windows xp (i turned off system restore because of the virus) i have norton 2002 virus protecter. thats it.

RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by Dane on 08-01-2004 at 03:44 AM

Well, on a side note, i'd definatly upgrade your virus protection (wait until December when the 2005 product line comes out).  As for the driver, i'd go to your Manufacturers website and get the latest version (or on HP/Compaq Computers, Rollback the entire system to a new install)

RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by vincerooney on 08-01-2004 at 03:46 AM

how would I find out which drivers i have?

RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by Dane on 08-01-2004 at 03:49 AM

Most manufacturers allow you to enter your systems serial # and then list you with the latest drivers for your comp....no guesswork.

RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by vincerooney on 08-01-2004 at 03:53 AM

ive gone in device manager and clicked on disk drives. i have:

Maxtor 4k040H2

ive then clicked on DVD/CD-Rom drives as well and i have

NEC DVD ROM DV 5800A

Is this my drive D and E respectively?

I've clicked on maxtor and told it to scan for hardware changes. then i do that the D drive reappears in my computer. I then try to scan for changes on the NEC DVD Rom hoping it will come up. But it just makes the D drive disappear.

RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by Dane on 08-01-2004 at 03:57 AM

In device manager, open both of those and see if you can "Roll back" the drivers.

RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by vincerooney on 08-01-2004 at 04:03 AM

i cannot see any option to do that so i dont think its possible.
My D Drive now shows me that theres an audio cd in. But i dont know whats wrong with the E drive and the D drive is being very dodgy.

windows xp says both are installed and working perfectly.

my questions are for the world

a) is this the work of w32.gaobot.azt then how do i get rid of it if its done nothing it says it should have done in my registry.
b) is this another virus in which case how do i get rid of it
c) how do i get my drivers back up and running if windows says they are ok.

i noticed them going a bit funny last week then they wouldnt play DVDS but my e drive was working yesterday to allow me to make a CD.

i'm also guessing that my E drive is DVD ROM drive if not then it isnt on the device manager.

any help i would be desperately grateful for

ok the story continues. i tried to scan for hardware changes again and my d drive has disappeared AGAIN. I'm off to bed its 5am i'll continue with this tomorrow.

any advice or ideas would be gratefully appreciates. i'm not confident either with this so any advice would be appreciated if it could be done in step by step form to compensate for my lack of knowledge.

Now they have both magically reappeared this morning. what is going on with my pc i beg to know...

Mod: Please edit your posts, double/triple/quadriple posting isn't allowed on these forums.
RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by Anubis on 08-01-2004 at 03:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vincerooney
Now they have both magically reappeared this morning. what is going on with my pc i beg to know...
There is a chance that there was some problem with your BIOS or system files and somehow a few reboots fixed it, this is a rare solution but hopefully might work for you...I know you've done virus checks before, but do one final one just to clear up there is no trojan that is causing this.
Also it is forum rules to edit your posts instead of posting more than one post in a row...please edit your posts...
RE: RE: my d and e drives have gone please help by Moo on 08-08-2004 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
Originally posted by vincerooney
There is a chance that there was some problem with your BIOS or system files and somehow a few reboots fixed it, this is a rare solution but hopefully might work for you...I know you've done virus checks before, but do one final one just to clear up there is no trojan that is causing this.
Also it is forum rules to edit your posts instead of posting more than one post in a row...please edit your posts...

Rebooting alot of times also fixed my problems when I lost my floppy drive. It is still kinda freeky tho!