Shoutbox

Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? (/showthread.php?tid=29399)

Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by lylesback2 on 08-01-2004 at 11:31 PM

I was reading a few threads off another forum, and noticed something called "MSN Magazine"  (un-official).

So i was reading threw it, and of cource the writers of this were easily manipulated, into thinking "Messenger Discovery" is better then Messenger Plus!.  Well i beg to differ.  I wanted to show you this site, basically it has alot of features plus! doesn't and im not sure of the compatibility.  So look threw it, and see what you think, but i know by skimming threw it, it won't be a big hit... and is just a bunch of patched in one add-on.

Messenger Discovery

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by aNILEator on 08-01-2004 at 11:39 PM

i have it i can't even use their shitty little commands lol

!taskbar
!options

they don't work i hid the taskbar now it won't come back and it is a bit sucky. The program says that it works perfectly with plus! and it suggests you use plus aswell as discovery

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by -dt- on 08-02-2004 at 12:09 AM

:) i think its a great program  you cant really compare them both because they dont do the same thing like plus does funky things inside msn and MD manipulates incoming and outgoing data from msn
they both have good fetures
MD is still a young addon tho it only started a few months ago and it has great potentual

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by RebelSean on 08-02-2004 at 12:13 AM

Tis  a good program, dont doubt it. But it will NEVER be better than Patchou's Messenger Plus  program. I use Messenger Plus for countless reasons, but only use Messenger Discovery for signing in offline....

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by EvilSeph on 08-02-2004 at 12:24 AM

Each to their own, I highly suggest you stop where you are because you'll cause a sort of war between Messenger Plus! users and MessengerDiscovery users (of which, I am both). MsgPlus is one of the best Messenger Add-ons in existance, MessengerDiscovery is too..although it is buggy atm.. just let it slide and don't be pushing what YOU like onto other people.

To each their own.

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by lylesback2 on 08-02-2004 at 12:38 AM

i was just stating that in MSN Magazine, they say between all add-ons, MD stands out above the rest, and is better then msgplus.  they must know each other thus giving them a better review.  i also say there web site... and has the same base idea that msgplus.net has.  IMO.

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by aNILEator on 08-02-2004 at 12:41 AM

anyone read that MSN:WH mag on mess.be????? that gives MD 80%

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by Guido on 08-02-2004 at 03:07 AM

You can't beat the features and experience of Msgplus, but there are some features in MD that, as long as they work as they claim to, are important and should be added into Plus to make it a complete addon. Such as rtf logging, which was requested for years.

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
anyone read that MSN:WH mag on mess.be????? that gives MD 80%
Yeah... that MSN:WH thing was an empty magazine IMO... no much information, not interesting nor useful, thought it can be for some...

BTW is Discovery was Messenger Freedom was going to be?
RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by Sk3tch on 08-02-2004 at 04:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
You can't beat the features and experience of Msgplus, but there are some features in MD that, as long as they work as they claim to, are important and should be added into Plus to make it a complete addon. Such as rtf logging, which was requested for years.
My thoughts (Y) and the funny thing is you cant really compare the two because they are different in thier own ways, infact a lot of the glory from MD is from some of its features that dont exist in Plus! :P (For obvious reasons) Others like rtf logging as Guido said would however be nice.
quote:
Yeah... that MSN:WH thing was an empty magazine IMO... no much information, not interesting nor useful, thought it can be for some...
I agree, although it was nice to see something 'new' :)
quote:
BTW is Discovery was Messenger Freedom was going to be?
Nope, MD is being made by someone else: effekt (Matt) i think :)
RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by Patchou on 08-02-2004 at 05:00 AM

I planned to add RTF logging in Plus! 3 but it was not high in the prority list... I still want to add it, it will be there some day :p.

As for who's the best, I don't want to compare the two programs. The only thing I know about Messenger Discovery so far is that some of its features are similar to Messenger Plus!'s ones and that it detects Plus! to display color in the text it displays. I've always said I make a point not to install any other Messenger plugin to avoid being accused of plagia.

The only thing I know is that so far, mostp lugins that started didn't succeeded simply because their developers abandoned them. Let's hope for MD that it won't be the case. anyway, I'm still busy with my own stuff right now but I still promise you a Plus! 3.10 for soon (August/September). I'm sorry I can't bring you some of the cools features of other plugins but I really don't want to mess up with the protocol, for variosu reasons including stability and legal issues :gfdrin:.

Patchou

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by giken on 08-02-2004 at 08:25 AM

Patchou,  if you can, please add this feature, MD got:

Status Dependant Display Pictures
- Online image
- Busy image
- Away image
- Be right back image
- Out to lunch image

Maybe add other pics for plus personalized statuses :)

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by user27089 on 08-02-2004 at 08:38 AM

That is already a feature on Messenger Discovery, and I think that there is a plugin, try Mess.be.

Messenger discovery is very buggy, I used it and it messed stuff up, like i typed in ! alone, cause i was laffing at sumthing, and it says

! Is not a Known Command

And it messed up my commands.

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by Pyroteq on 08-02-2004 at 10:49 AM

Messenger discovery wont even work for me i dont know why so i deleted it...Plus is dam good enough for me!

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by aNILEator on 08-02-2004 at 11:05 AM

i think its poo poo :D and not compatible with common computers

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by CookieRevised on 08-02-2004 at 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I really don't want to mess up with the protocol, for various reasons including stability and legal issues.
And that is one of the strong points of Messenger Plus! IMO... (y)

btw, lylesback2, you're talking about a "MSN Magazine", where is it? Do you still have that link from it or the forum or whatever where you all read this...?
RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by tony on 08-02-2004 at 04:21 PM

[size=1]i want to see it.. please put the URL..[/size][Image: headbang.gif]

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by Tochjo on 08-02-2004 at 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by shrbr
i want to see it.. please put the URL..
The URL was mentioned in the first post of this thread.
RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by Gergith on 08-02-2004 at 08:47 PM

i personally think that there arent many at all usefull features in discovery that arent already in plus in one form or another.. the percentage of logging in is neat, but i never got it working..

what i would really like to see is a loging system that makes sense, and doesnt have redundancy. (3 person+ chats), so its only saved once. and the ability to have emoticons saved, as well as ink... it would aslo be VERY cool to have the display picture to go along with it too, and every time its changed its saved for each user/chat log, but the display idea is a bit ludacris.. all the others are good though (Y) :p

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by rh on 08-05-2004 at 08:55 AM

i did install messengerdiscovery and

1. most features did not work (or only very strangely)
2. i could not talk to other people anymore (my IMs got "lost"), it seems this was a conflict with SIMP Lite.

so i uninstalled it...

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by Phrive on 08-05-2004 at 08:57 AM

An other thing i have found about MD is you can't sign into MSN the first time it will just keep signing in, or it will cut off, and the next time you try to sign in you sign in, but its ninor, still very annoying tho
MSG Plus! Rocks!

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by Dane on 08-05-2004 at 09:24 AM

And MessengerDiscovery creates its own "Always on Icon", and changes MSN proxy settings.

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by Sk3tch on 08-05-2004 at 09:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
And MessengerDiscovery creates its own "Always on Icon",
So did Plus! back in the day :P I think :S... my memory is getting bad lol

Anyway, you can hide the icon if you dont like it there...

And the proxy settings change is how the program gets its power. Its nothing really major in change, only that its using a proxy.. which can be done manually in settings with a few clicks.. :P

However, MD was just too buggy.. and i didnt like it using a proxy to connect :dodgy:
MP pwns MD
RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by -dt- on 08-05-2004 at 10:20 AM

you can hide MD's icon and so what if it uses a proxy ^o) it only accepts requests from localhost and MD will turn into a very good  plug in for messenger but its still in its early stages

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by bungleMX on 08-06-2004 at 04:52 PM

discovery better thand MP!? LOL NOT IN A MILLION OF YEARS
Every time i had traying to use Discovery my msn stops to loggin in some accounts, then they updateit with that bug resolved, but it was bul***it hehe my msn did the same, the only i could do to fix that problem was uninstalling msn, installing an old vesion, uninstallit again and install again the newest version of msn, was a really pain in te as, I will neve gonna install than f*** discovery again even with a hundreds of udates from them 8o|:P

RE: RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by Titty on 08-11-2004 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bungleMX
discovery better thand MP!? LOL NOT IN A MILLION OF YEARS
Every time i had traying to use Discovery my msn stops to loggin in some accounts, then they updateit with that bug resolved, but it was bul***it hehe my msn did the same, the only i could do to fix that problem was uninstalling msn, installing an old vesion, uninstallit again and install again the newest version of msn, was a really pain in te as, I will neve gonna install than f*** discovery again even with a hundreds of udates from them 8o|:P

I had a difficult time as well.  I just tested it out. 
I literally uninstalled it like a few minutes later.
I had a similiar problem to yours, where I couldn't login correctly with
the plugin installed. :S

I just uninstalled it, I don't need the bullshit.
RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by Pyroteq on 08-11-2004 at 09:15 AM

thier support sucks, i poste about a problem i had with the program (the central program controller is missing) and that was 3 days ago and they havnt yet replied or even noted on there that i had a problem, when i needed help with plus there was a reply within about 5min!

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by CookieRevised on 08-11-2004 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
thier support sucks, i poste about a problem i had with the program (the central program controller is missing) and that was 3 days ago and they havnt yet replied or even noted on there that i had a problem
3 days is not so uncommon. Don't forget that its forum doesn't have much members and even less members who realy can help (IIRC only Ecko is there to help)... The Plus! forum is an exception among forums (I like to think), there are many people here who can and will help, so of course the delay will be much much less...

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by stuartbennett on 11-10-2004 at 06:38 PM

i currently have messengerdiscovery installed i hadnt been able to use it for a while as the options button had been greyed out i then went into options to look at a few things then went into extended contacts clicked the force contacts to show on next signing and ever since its not worked the options button is greyed out again and the extended contacts that were added to my contact list which wasnt all of them disappeared. apparently md version 3 is supposed to be better but we will see. as some people have said its a relatively new plugin so im not going to be harsh on it im sure one day it will be as stable and helpful as plus is now. i dont think either plus or md are better however plus is more stable. my hope is that one day messengerdiscovery will be a very stable and useful addoin to plus and that md and plus wiull have full compatability with each other and complement each other like stuffplug and plus do right now.

RE: Messenger Discovery better then Msgplus? by Fraisie on 11-10-2004 at 06:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
i currently have messengerdiscovery installed i hadnt been able to use it for a while as the options button had been greyed out i then went into options to look at a few things then went into extended contacts clicked the force contacts to show on next signing and ever since its not worked the options button is greyed out again and the extended contacts that were added to my contact list which wasnt all of them disappeared. apparently md version 3 is supposed to be better but we will see. as some people have said its a relatively new plugin so im not going to be harsh on it im sure one day it will be as stable and helpful as plus is now. i dont think either plus or md are better however plus is more stable. my hope is that one day messengerdiscovery will be a very stable and useful addoin to plus and that md and plus wiull have full compatability with each other and complement each other like stuffplug and plus do right now.

Oh come on, dont bring back such an old topic...!