Shoutbox

Trying to Use Colors... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Trying to Use Colors... (/showthread.php?tid=29408)

Trying to Use Colors... by deanoldham14 on 08-02-2004 at 04:54 AM

I had MsgPlus for ever...and one day the colors wouldnt work any more, because when i tried to change the colors of my name, it said

The Display Name you chose was Invaild. Please choose another display name and try again.

Now i dont know why its doing this. I have Msn Messenger 6.2 like all of my friends, and they all use colors. Im using XP home with a cable connection...i love msg plus...ANY HELP?!?

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by sasquatch on 08-02-2004 at 06:37 AM

how r u changing ur nick? usin the /nick command? cuz that shuld work if copying and pasting doesn't

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by user27089 on 08-02-2004 at 09:20 AM

if /nick doesn't work, then i'd have a go with /nick2, it may be the length of ur name.

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by CookieRevised on 08-02-2004 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by deanoldham14
I had MsgPlus for ever...and one day the colors wouldnt work any more, because when i tried to change the colors of my name, it said

The Display Name you chose was Invaild. Please choose another display name and try again.

Update Messenger Plus!: http://www.msgplus.net/ ;)

The colorcodes were changed in one of the previous versions because MSN has blocked the old colorcodes IIRC, so that's why you get that message....
RE: Trying to Use Colors... by Sunshine on 08-02-2004 at 06:15 PM

Also don't forget to put a <space> after u typed /nick

(/nick<space>ctrl+k<choose color><new nick><enter>)

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by deanoldham14 on 08-03-2004 at 12:08 PM

Guys,

i did all of the stuff that you said, and i've got the newest msn and the the newest msg plus. The color codes still wont work, i used all of the color stuff and everything, and it still wont let me do it,  but i cant see all of my friends colors.....what else could i do?

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by Tochjo on 08-03-2004 at 12:13 PM

Try to follow the instructions below exactly.
If this doesn't work, tell us exactly where it goes wrong :)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=280893]

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by Sunshine on 08-03-2004 at 12:13 PM

Try uninstalling plus then boot into safemode an install plus on the account called "administrator"

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by deanoldham14 on 08-04-2004 at 02:29 PM

im in my own computer in my room, im the admin for my computer. I tried everything that you guys said. I do my name is a convo box, then i try to put it where my display name goes, and it doesnt work, i even tried taking my emotions out and all of the special letters...still doesnt work...

here's what it shows

click here to see what i mean - this is what happens after i do all the color stuff, and then click okay, and then it does it

http://www.deanstruckstuff.com/images/msgpluserror.jpg

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by Tochjo on 08-04-2004 at 06:11 PM

quote:
click here to see what i mean - this is what happens after i do all the color stuff, and then click okay, and then it does it
You are not doing exactly as I pointed out :)
You need to do all of this in a conversation window, as I showed in the images. There is no need to click OK anywhere :)
RE: Trying to Use Colors... by deanoldham14 on 08-04-2004 at 07:08 PM

yes i did do what you said, i did everything that you said in a convo box, made my name up in there, and then when to personal setting, then pasted it all in my display name, and then clicked okay, and that is what came up

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by Tochjo on 08-04-2004 at 07:10 PM

quote:
went to personal settings, pasted it in my display name
That is NOT what I said. I did never say that.
Please read again what was posted, especially the screenshots I posted. You should NOT copy/paste your name.
RE: Trying to Use Colors... by deanoldham14 on 08-04-2004 at 07:11 PM

Tochjo, i just re-read it, and i know that you did not say anything about display name. im saying that is what im trying to do. and its not working

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by Jeronimo on 08-04-2004 at 07:12 PM

quote:
yes i did do what you said, i did everything that you said in a convo box, made my name up in there, and then when to personal setting, then pasted it all in my display name, and then clicked okay, and that is what came up
I suggest you read what Tochjo said in his post again. That's twice now you have stated something that is wrong ;)

You do NOT go into the options or paste anything. You change your nick name in a conversation window using the /nick command!! :)
RE: Trying to Use Colors... by deanoldham14 on 08-04-2004 at 07:12 PM

how should i get colors and what name into my display name then?

im not trying to say anything wrong, how do you use the /nick command?

mod: please dont double post.

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by Tochjo on 08-04-2004 at 07:14 PM

quote:
how should i get colors and what name into my display name then?
Sunshine told you exactly, and my screenshots are very, very clear :-/
Read especially the last line below my screenshots: "After that, press Enter or click Send". Look at the screenshots, it shows exactly how to do it.

quote:
how do you use the /nick command?
Look at the screenshots, it shows exactly how to do it.
RE: Trying to Use Colors... by Jeronimo on 08-04-2004 at 07:15 PM

To get colours in your display name, use the /nick command exactly as Tochjo showed in the post here

Nickname and display name are the same thing ;)

EDIT: Can you see how many helpful people we all have trying to help you? :)

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by marissa on 08-04-2004 at 07:15 PM

easy, as tochjo said. In a conversation window type /nick (hold ctrl and hit k, then a list of colours will come up. choose a colour) [#or colour will appear here] Nicname so it will be like such:

/nick2 (box from ctrl+k)# Nickname.

Do this all in a conversation window, no need for copy and pastes:)

Edit: sorry guys, didnt know you posted it again after he asked how to use /nick.

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by deanoldham14 on 08-04-2004 at 07:18 PM

I finally got it.  See what i thaught was you do what you said in your screen shots, and then print it out, and then it works. Im really sorry that i didnt REALLY think about it. And thanks again guys for your help!!!!

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by Jeronimo on 08-04-2004 at 07:20 PM

quote:
I finally got it.  See what i thaught was you do what you said in your screen shots, and then print it out, and then it works. Im really sorry that i didnt REALLY think about it. And thanks again guys for your help!!!!
Not to worry. Its horrible when you can't see something that everyone else can. I've done that before!! You can see now that the nick function does all the hard work for you ;)
RE: Trying to Use Colors... by deanoldham14 on 08-04-2004 at 07:25 PM

yes sir, i just was thinking of copy and pasteing b'coz that's what you used to do on msn plus

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by CookieRevised on 08-05-2004 at 12:22 AM

quote:
yes sir, i just was thinking of copy and pasteing b'coz that's what you used to do on msn plus
Actually, no... the nick command has always worked in this way. You never had to copy/paste...

(PS: and it is Messenger Plus!, or msgplus... not msn plus.... msn plus is another product from microsoft itself)
RE: Trying to Use Colors... by Jeronimo on 08-05-2004 at 12:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Actually, no... the nick command has always worked in this way. You never had to copy/paste...
Ah but did we not have to copy and paste before the nick command was invented? ^o)

* Jeronimo checks the Plus history...

EDIT: The nick command came with version 2.10.32 which was after colour tags were invented. Could you put colours in names before that? Its a moot point anyway :D
RE: Trying to Use Colors... by deanoldham14 on 08-05-2004 at 12:48 AM

i remember you used to press ctrl k and then get the code, and then copy it and paste it in your display name thing, and then type the rest of your name, and then click okay. I dont rememer using the /nick command before, but then again, i learned to use it today:D

RE: Trying to Use Colors... by CookieRevised on 08-05-2004 at 01:02 AM

Well, the nick command is already over one year old....