Shoutbox

My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help (/showthread.php?tid=29454)

My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help by big_bill229 on 08-03-2004 at 06:50 AM

Well there was a thunderstorm the other day and my xbox was on and when the lightning struck the power went out in my house.    when the power came bac on my xbox wudnt

Can someone help me diagnose the problem??!!!!!!!!

RE: My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help by Pyroteq on 08-03-2004 at 06:54 AM

Maybe you need to get it checked out at a hardware store, it might have got fried...Did you have a powersurge protector in use?

RE: My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help by big_bill229 on 08-03-2004 at 06:56 AM

not at the time i didnt. but i did change the fuse in it but that didnt seem to help at all. umm does anyone no of any sites i cud go to to buy a power supply. hopfuly a site from canada !!!!!!!!!

RE: My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help by .blade// on 08-03-2004 at 06:58 AM

:lol: I can't believe you can't put 2 and 2 together :lol:

The thunder caused a power surge. The powers urge fried some components (exactly whatm I can't tell you) and now your XBOX is a very large paper weight. If it is still under warranty (standard is 90 days) then you're in luck, otherwise - sucks to be you, you're going to have to have to pay to get it fixed.

My guess: Your hard drive and/or mother board and/or processor are fried. Good luck :lol:

RE: My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help by big_bill229 on 08-03-2004 at 07:02 AM

oh man that suc's some major a**hole i voided my warranty.. so ur sayin i shud just say f*** it and buy a new one?

RE: My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help by Sk3tch on 08-03-2004 at 07:07 AM

im not sure how much repares are, but im thinking there less then the cost of the Xbox pending on the ammount of damage, but thats something you might wanna get check out.

Shame about the situation :P

RE: My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help by big_bill229 on 08-03-2004 at 07:09 AM

Well then umm cud someone sugest a site to go to to get tech support? **Canadian Site**

RE: My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help by Pyroteq on 08-03-2004 at 08:29 AM

either buy a new Xbox or send it in for repairs is your best bet

RE: My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help by Anubis on 08-03-2004 at 08:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
either buy a new Xbox
Repairs will be cheaper...
quote:
send it in for repairs
It'll have to be a Canadian technician, I don't know anything about where you can get help for things like that in Canada but I'm sure a small computer store can do that...

Also as a slight off topic note, during a severer thunderstorm, make sure you have a surge protector of some type, a trip switch, fuse whatever...and unplug your satellite dish just in case...
RE: My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help by user27089 on 08-03-2004 at 10:49 AM

http://www.yorvik-consoles.freeserve.co.uk/xbox/main.html

they sell lots off accessories ;), from skins, cases, the xbox disc on top of it, controllers and lots more, inc. motherboards, quite cheap :)

RE: My Xbox Fried I Need Some Help by .blade// on 08-03-2004 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
either buy a new Xbox
Repairs will be cheaper...

Not neccisarily - the cost of a new XBOX is less than the cost of making it (they make the money back in games and accesories...)

Let me guess - you modded ur XBOX. Well if the case is open anyways, may I suggest you look for any LCD lights within the case (such as on the mother board) and see if they are getting power. If not, you may want to try a new power supply. If that doesn't work - sell the XBOX on Ebay for parts and buy a new one (the Xbox DVD read will fetch around $50 Canadian).