Shoutbox

Microsoft Plans More Im Options - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Microsoft Plans More Im Options (/showthread.php?tid=29488)

Microsoft Plans More Im Options by RebelSean on 08-04-2004 at 01:52 AM

I was reading a thread at neowin and I figured I'd post a thread abot it here.

quote:
Originally posted by pcworld.com

Microsoft plans to deliver a new version of its popular MSN Messenger client by mid-2005 that will let users create a more customized instant messaging experience, the company says.

Aside from the user experience, MSN Messenger also has to bring in more money, Microsoft representatives say. The company has not really tapped the online advertising opportunities in the client, said Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president of Microsoft's MSN Information Services & Merchant Platform division. He addressed the topic at a meeting last week with financial analysts at Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, Washington.

To that goal, some of those new services might involve fees, subscriptions, and other user costs, Mehdi said. For example, the company charges a monthly fee for access to a game IM users can play with their MSN contacts. Microsoft introduced gaming recently in the U.S. and will roll it out internationally in the coming months, according to a Microsoft spokesperson.................

More information about it can be found here.

Personaly if they ever do this and make me (:blah:)pay to use msn messenger's features I would not use it and would  get dodgy yahoo back. Let me hear what yall think. :d

RE: Microsoft Plans More Im Options by LoochTheMan on 08-04-2004 at 03:21 AM

im not payin no money...stupid pricks...goin to yahoo, keepin my old msn, or mayb someone will find codes to overrride the charges...who knows

RE: Microsoft Plans More Im Options by saralk on 08-04-2004 at 04:20 AM

they said they'd charge for certain services, which is fair enough. I hate it when people complain because something free has a catch to it.

RE: Microsoft Plans More Im Options by marissa on 08-04-2004 at 04:49 AM

microsofts only doing this to raise more money for the things they make, as i read somewhere else.  So dont complain, more money for them = better things for their users, such as us. SO be happy. we get better stuff:)

RE: Microsoft Plans More Im Options by LoochTheMan on 08-04-2004 at 05:18 AM

yes better stuff, who would get better stuff for a cost when you can get the same services for free...this better stuff can be created by programmers as well, we dont pay them to make us plugins

RE: Microsoft Plans More Im Options by Pyroteq on 08-04-2004 at 07:41 AM

I wouldnt pay for msn id keep my old one unless they forced us to update and then id go to yahoo

RE: Microsoft Plans More Im Options by CookieRevised on 08-04-2004 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Personaly if they ever do this and make me pay to use msn messenger I would not use it and would  get dodgy yahoo back. Let me hear what yall think.
Do what? Where in the report does it say that you need to pay to use MSN Messenger? Nowhere!!!

They say, "pay for certain services like games..."....

They didn't say "pay for using msn messenger AKA connecting to the MSN network"... They will never do that as this will be a very bad commercial move.
RE: Microsoft Plans More Im Options by Anubis on 08-04-2004 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LoochTheMan
this better stuff can be created by programmers as well, we dont pay them to make us plugins
No programmers I know have the resources of Microsoft, and no plugin I know equals MSN Messenger itself, and as for what Cookie said, he is entirely correct (although it hurts to admit it)...you're all just jumping to the wrong end of the stick, MSN Messenger will probably always remain free, and some extra features may have to be paid for, but we'll be able to retain everything we have now probably, maybe not the games though...
RE: Microsoft Plans More Im Options by RebelSean on 08-04-2004 at 07:13 PM

:blah:

Cookie,

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
They didn't say "pay for using msn messenger AKA connecting to the MSN network"... They will never do that as this will be a very bad commercial move

I didn't never think that. And how do you know that they wont?
RE: Microsoft Plans More Im Options by Anubis on 08-04-2004 at 07:18 PM

quote:
And how do you know that they wont?
Simply because why would they make you pay to chat to people when there are so many free alternatives that are more popular...

quote:

I didn't never think that
quote:
and make me pay to use msn messenger

RE: Microsoft Plans More Im Options by Animefan on 08-05-2004 at 08:06 PM

I could fine skip the games if they started to cost :)

RE: Microsoft Plans More Im Options by Sk3tch on 08-05-2004 at 11:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
They will never do that as this will be a very bad commercial move.
Maybe... but sometimes you have to question that, wether they might have something bigger in mind.
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Simply because why would they make you pay to chat to people when there are so many free alternatives that are more popular...
Because MSN Messenger pwns all the other Messengers lol..

There has been many a few topics about this before on ths forums..  personally i think they could make us pay, and they will if they want to. Im not saying i would pay for the service but i know a few people that would. However its true that as Cookie said it wouldn't be a very good business move.

Basically, enjoy MSN Messenger now and everyday and be glad that its free! :)
RE: Microsoft Plans More Im Options by marissa on 08-05-2004 at 11:09 PM

I was watching some computer tv show, and they did talk about how microsoft was going to start making users pay for things, it was something about msn9 or something *-)...but cookies right. They wont start making us pay for things such as msn because there are many other instant messaging services out there, like aol and yahoo which are equally popular or more than microsofts msn. If they did make their users start paying for msn messenger that would be a really stupid move, probably most of the users that use msn are kids (bias opinion...) and their parents probably dont want them talking on msn all day so why would they pay for that? My mom doesnt like us sitting on the computer a lot, and i know some of yours dont either.  They would lose a bunch of their customers. Anyways, carry on.