Shoutbox

Onsite Translator - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Onsite Translator (/showthread.php?tid=29585)

Onsite Translator by Ice Queen on 08-06-2004 at 08:06 PM

Hey I voice this idea to Chrono about getting a translator put on the site instead of somepeople (like me) having to use crappy translators on the net so that they can translate from english to spanish or visa versa.

What do u guys think about that?

RE: Onsite Translator by Anubis on 08-06-2004 at 08:09 PM

The translator won't be reliable, and why bother when you can just use Google translator that is one click away?

RE: Onsite Translator by Menthix on 08-06-2004 at 08:20 PM

Well, if you mean a translator as a real person that would require a lot of work. A link to some automatic online translator can technically be done, however results of those translators are often not good enough and will probally cause even more problems.

Also note that posting in languages othe then english is against the rules here, i i don't think that would change if we had a translator.

If you need help about Messenger Plus! and your native language is either Dutch, French or Spanish then you could try the Plus! Live Chat: http://www.msgplus.net/community.php . There you can talk to people in your own language.

RE: Onsite Translator by Chrono on 08-09-2004 at 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ice Queen
Hey I voice this idea to Chrono about getting a translator put on the site instead of somepeople (like me) having to use crappy translators on the net so that they can translate from english to spanish or visa versa.
why a translator on this site would be better than other online translators? :undecided:
RE: Onsite Translator by Ice Queen on 08-10-2004 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono

why a translator on this site would be better than other online translators? :undecided:

i believe it would be because we have some of the best people to desgin it :D
RE: RE: Onsite Translator by Anubis on 08-10-2004 at 01:36 PM

quote:
i believe it would be because we have some of the best people to desgin it :D

I beg to differ. We may have some good programmers on here, and many of the members speak many different languages, however the forum isn't anywhere near the level of Google or a more advanced online translator. Although taking an already existent openSource online translator and applying it could make translating posts quicker that would be a benefit; however I don't know of any, if there are any...
RE: Onsite Translator by rav0 on 08-14-2004 at 10:22 PM

sounds lyk a gd idea esp if it could deal with common slang (lyk dat in blue in dis post)

RE: Onsite Translator by Choli on 08-16-2004 at 07:56 PM

quote:
i believe it would be because we have some of the best people to desgin it
even in the (non-real) case that we are the best programmers in the world, we'd need a lot of time to make it.

Besides, as MenthiX said, the official language is english and if there's something in spanish/french/etc... in the forums that's because: either it's in T&T and it's spam or it's in the translation forum and they're talking about the translation into that language. In both cases there's nothing important people want to know if they don't know those languages.
RE: Onsite Translator by Ice Queen on 08-16-2004 at 08:24 PM

hey i speak english but sometimes spanish threads can be alot of fun that is y i asked about the translator

RE: Onsite Translator by Johnny_Mac on 08-17-2004 at 12:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
the official language is english
It isnt the law, its just these forums rules. Adding something wouldnt be helpful as a community. Follow links other people have suggested.

Thread closed.