Shoutbox

Photoshop or Paintshop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Photoshop or Paintshop (/showthread.php?tid=29597)

Photoshop or Paintshop by RebelSean on 08-07-2004 at 12:21 AM

I was thinkin about downloading Photoshop or PaintShop, THE TRYOUT VERSIONS ON THE SITES NOTHIGN ILLEGAL HERE, and I need yalls advice. What do yall like about it? What dont yall like about it?

Here is were I was going to download from

http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/?

and

www.adobe.com

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by toddy on 08-07-2004 at 01:00 AM

:dodgy:
why not just download both, as there are free trails

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by MoRiA on 08-07-2004 at 01:19 AM

I've always used Paintshop pro, rather than Photoshop, so I'm experienced and know what I'm doing in PSP. If you're looking to buy the full versions then it would be better to look at PSP.
Ebuyer is offereing the retail version of PSP for £72 compared to £496 for Photoshop.

I see from your signature that you're American, but the prices will be similar over there, albeit about 1000x times less because everything is expensive here :P

But Photoshop is the professional choice, so there must be a reason for that I guess.

While we're on the subject The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) isn't a bad option if you're looking for a free alternative. It seems to hate my laptop and errors repeatedly so I gave up with it there, but runs fine on my desktop. Doesn't have all the features of PS/PSP but it's a thousand times better than MS Paint ;)

quote:
why not just download both, as there are free trails
56K Connection? They're not brilliant for downloading loads of trials, especially when they're as large as they are ;)
RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by ind3nt on 08-07-2004 at 01:31 AM

PHOTOSHOP! so many more tutorials on how to get started and how to do various effects and etc. i used to use Paint Shop Pro but the finish products always looked half ass so i got photoshop. if you want a good looking peice of graphical poetry use Photoshop

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by RebelSean on 08-07-2004 at 02:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MoRiA
56K Connection? They're not brilliant for downloading loads of trials, especially when they're as large as they are 

Im on a 56k connection, but wene I download this stuff, I will be on my next door neighbors house on DSl. ;-)
quote:
Originally posted by MoRiA
While we're on the subject The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) isn't a bad option if you're looking for a free alternative. It seems to hate my laptop and errors repeatedly so I gave up with it there, but runs fine on my desktop. Doesn't have all the features of PS/PSP but it's a thousand times better than MS Paint

Were can I preview and read about that program at. And no im not googleing it lol
RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by Menthix on 08-07-2004 at 02:32 AM

Thou shall use proper Google Techniques: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22the+gimp%22&sou...LazySeanxX&start=0 :p

Like has been said, Photoshop is more professional (plus you can find more documentation for it), but t comes with a high price. Paintshop Pro isn't a bad alternative to it. It all really depends on your needs and what you feel happy using it yourself i guess.

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by RebelSean on 08-07-2004 at 02:38 AM

Thanks menthix...Photoshop is expensive but I guese I will just have to wait and see. From what I hear, if you have a site or something, the $600 is worth every penny. ;-)

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by PenguinBoy on 08-07-2004 at 01:40 PM

I like macromedia fireworks, but maybe i just haven't experienced psp and ps properly yet. Fireworks does most of the things i want it to. I'm familiar and work ok with fireworks, is there any point taking all that time switch?
Mspaint does it's job excelently without it we've got nothing.

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by Concord Dawn on 08-07-2004 at 02:04 PM

I'd go with the watered down version of Photoshop, Photoshop Elements. It's got most of the features that Photoshop has and isn't nearly as expensive.

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by Twan on 08-07-2004 at 02:27 PM

i have photoshop and i just love it  i can't say a thing of paintshop pro because i don't know it :S

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by Concord Dawn on 08-07-2004 at 03:33 PM

I've heard that it's not bad. I also recommend Macromedia Fireworks.l

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by user27089 on 08-09-2004 at 01:34 AM

I have the full version of Photoshop 7.0, Paintshop Pro and Macromedia Fireworks installed on my PC, I love to use photoshop, Paintshop Pro isn't that user-friendly. Go for Photoshop ;)

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by CookieRevised on 08-09-2004 at 05:54 PM

PSP and PS are both similar products, although both are also quite different and can't be compared as such! PSP is good in things that PS can't do. And vice versa. If you want absolute power, use both...

PSP is good for fast, small graphics (the ones you often need for the web!!). Also it is tons better then PS, when it comes to handling various image formats and all their properties; you have much much more control in PSP then in PS...

PS is the best in big design graphics, for prints, publishing, etc... There is nothing (much) that can beat it in that. Also, it has better support for the different color-systems (CYMK, etc), because of it's design/publishing nature. (but unless you are a publisher or a professional designer, you wont have much use of it)...

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Paintshop Pro isn't that user-friendly
PSP is VERY user friendly, even more then PS... The interface is much easier to use. Since both programs are different, they both have different interfaces. The interface of PSP is much more intuitive and similar to other graphic programs. The interface from PS is much more difficult to learn and different then other graphics programs, but once you know where everything is and how the system works, it's also easy of course...

All this said, as I both use PSP and PS regulary without using one program more then the other and thus being used to one program more then the other...

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by BluexDreams on 08-10-2004 at 01:18 PM

I prefere Photoshop! It's way much easier to use and understand. And everything is organized. Even thoug Paintshop might have some features Photoshop doesn't have.

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by CookieRevised on 08-10-2004 at 02:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BluexDreams
I prefere Photoshop! It's way much easier to use and understand. And everything is organized.
Well, my point is that every program is organized and easy once you know it. But if you don't have any experience with a graphics program then fact is that PSP is much easier to learn because it isn't such a complex program (which can also be negative point for advanced users of course) and the menu's are much more intuitive: everything that can done with colors/palettes is in "colors", everything that can be done with layers, is in "layers", everything that can be done to add effects is in "effects", etc.. It can't be easier then that. While in PS, to do some things you need to dig deep into menu's or sometimes look in places where you don't expect to be something.

But if you're used to PS, then yes, it's menu's are easy to follow and they seem logic. Just as the menu's from PSP seem logic if you're used to that...
RE: RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by BluexDreams on 08-11-2004 at 07:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by BluexDreams
I prefere Photoshop! It's way much easier to use and understand. And everything is organized.
Well, my point is that every program is organized and easy once you know it. But if you don't have any experience with a graphics program then fact is that PSP is much easier to learn because it isn't such a complex program

For some reason it was the other way around with me. Im not that good with graphics, i had Photoshop before Paintshop. I found it easy to control and everything. But when i got Paintshop, the screen colour makes it distractful, i found it hard to do stuff with the images.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
But if you're used to PS, then yes, it's menu's are easy to follow and they seem logic. Just as the menu's from PSP seem logic if you're used to that

Maybe that's the reason " not starting with PSP " as a lot of people who started with graphics did, made PSP looks harder to understand rather than PS.

RE: Photoshop or Paintshop by DJeX on 08-11-2004 at 07:39 AM

Paint Shop Pro (Y), Very easy and looks good. Photo Shop (N) to hard, more for pro's.