Shoutbox

Where are they saved? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Where are they saved? (/showthread.php?tid=29707)

Where are they saved? by Maniac on 08-09-2004 at 06:37 PM

Alright, I decided to format my harddrive and instal a clean copy of xp, my computer is a mess and it is slow as hell, if you remember the topic i made about it then you will know what I'm talking about, my computer is a mess while it shouldn't be... it's slow while nothing is slowing it down.... anyways!

Before i can format i need to know if i can backup certain things, I'll just list them here and if you know where any of them are saved just tell me!

Windows Media Player - Media Library

FireFox - Bookmarks (edit: kinda found it but not sure... need confirmation)

Stardock BootSkin - Skins (edit: found)

Stardock WindowBlinds - Blinds (edit: found)

Anything else you think would be useful to back-up before formatting (I did remember to backup my plus preferences... doesnt that backup EVERYTHING that has to do with plus! or just the settings?)

RE: Where are they saved? by ddunk on 08-09-2004 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
FireFox - Bookmarks (edit: kinda found it but not sure... need confirmation)

Click on Bookmarks on the top > Manage Bookmarks > File > Export

Pick your location and save. :)
RE: Where are they saved? by Kryptonate on 08-09-2004 at 08:44 PM

Firefox bookmarks are saved here:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.q3y

Media Player Media Library: I think it's stored in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Index
(I'm not really sure)

RE: Where are they saved? by Maniac on 08-09-2004 at 09:23 PM

Hmmm.... kryptonate i don't have an "all users" folder... and in my user folder there isn't "media index"

RE: Where are they saved? by DJeX on 08-10-2004 at 04:13 AM

The Stardock boot skins and blinds are stored somewhere in the Windows dir, I use to know. Now I dont.

RE: Where are they saved? by Concord Dawn on 08-10-2004 at 04:16 AM

Just back up all of your music.

RE: Where are they saved? by Dan0208 on 08-10-2004 at 05:04 AM

If you use an email program such as Outlook Express you should consider backing up your address book as that can be a real pain to redo/replace.
Oh and another thing...before we had our harddrive formatted i had heaps of cool and useful fonts that i had gathered over time and i never thought to back up the Windows/Fonts folder so therefore lost all them :(
Hope that helps.

RE: Where are they saved? by Eljay on 08-10-2004 at 07:08 AM

on my xp pro playlists are simply kept in C:\Docs and Settings\username\App Data\Media Player

RE: Where are they saved? by Menthix on 08-10-2004 at 07:23 AM

Firefox: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla has all your Firefox settings, including extensions etc.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.kku\bookmarks.xml will probaly hold all your bookmarks, although the default.kku may be diffrent. To be sure, open the file in notepad and see if your bookmarks are there.

RE: Where are they saved? by Maniac on 08-10-2004 at 02:52 PM

I just used the backup feature in firefox to keep my bookmarks (didn't know it existed :p)

For the media library i meant the library not playlists, just cause i had everything organised and stuff, but i found a plugin that kinda did the job.

The freaky thing is i keep finding stuff i need :p

Now for msn emoticons... i have all the images still saved but i have TONS of them and i don't wanna keep adding them back... i found an exported in me CE/DP manager but i dunno where the hell it is exporting TO... lol! Anyone know hoe i can just make a backup that i can restore later without bothering to add every single one? :(

RE: Where are they saved? by Eljay on 08-11-2004 at 03:48 PM

if its CE/DP manager it saves all the msn settings to C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\MSN6 Backup\user id\

RE: Where are they saved? by Maniac on 08-12-2004 at 07:12 PM

Well i already formatted everything, was a pain in the ass to get all the emoticons back but i think everything is set now! :banana: