Shoutbox

Win XP SP2 Released - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Win XP SP2 Released (/showthread.php?tid=29712)

Win XP SP2 Released by s7a5 on 08-09-2004 at 07:21 PM

Win XP Service Pack 2 has finally been released.(H)

It should be up on Windows Update Site during this or next week.

Download SP2 RTM 2180 (directly from Microsoft)
Download Uxtheme Patch
Download Neowin UXTheme Multi-Patcher 2.0 (by Windows X)
View Changes to Functionality in SP2
Download XP SP2 EventID 4226 TCP/IP - Connection Limit Fix

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by M73A on 08-09-2004 at 07:31 PM

wats uxtheme patch?

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by toddy on 08-09-2004 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
wats uxtheme patch?

its so that u can still use programs that change your theme, like windows blinds and style xp
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by s7a5 on 08-09-2004 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
wats uxtheme patch?

its so that u can still use programs that change your theme, like windows blinds and style xp
no, its just a moded dll file that you'll have to overwrite so that you can use themes without any third party applications like style xp and blinds, but using the windows theme engine.
Once you patch it, you dont need those crappy programs anymore ;)
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by M73A on 08-09-2004 at 07:41 PM

how comes sp2 isint on microsoft website, like on the articles about sp2....how is it u have it:S

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Kryptonate on 08-09-2004 at 07:45 PM

quote:
how is it u have it
you were able to download it for a few months now, but it was still in beta, don't really know if it's released now. I heard it would be delayed again.
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by s7a5 on 08-09-2004 at 07:57 PM

RTM=Release to Manufacturing
so its final isn't it?

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by toddy on 08-09-2004 at 07:59 PM

the release is not actually until 2morrow (well i think it means this tuesday, could be next week)

quote:
On Friday, Microsoft announced the release of Windows XP Service Pack 2 to manufacturing. The RTM build, 2180, is available now for testers, with a general release next week. Users with Automatic Updates turned on will begin to receive the service pack starting Tuesday.
taken from http://www.betanews.com - date 6th of august
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Maniac on 08-09-2004 at 09:24 PM

this is the final version i think... neowin states it is... so i'm believing it...

Anyways, i use windowblinds and the bootskin thing.... how do i not use them and get the skins with this patch?

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by EvilSeph on 08-09-2004 at 09:34 PM

Yes, this is the final version of Windows XP SP2.

RTM means release to manufacturing, chances are the "final" won't be any different, as RTM's are preinstalled on new systems etc..

Following an RTM is an RTW, Release to Web(site) which means the general public may go about downloading the product, in this case, SP2.

On tuesday (not sure if it's this or next week) SP2 will be available via Windows Update this is different from RTW in that users with Windows XP and auto-update enabled will automatically download SP2 and SP2 is avilable on windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

To tell if the SP2 you have downloaded is authentic check the following:

1) Download Windows XP SP2

2) Download an MD5 hash checking program:

MD5

fsum

MD5 - digestIT 2004

3) Check the file hash, make sure it matches one of these:

Correct MD5 Hashes
English:
RTW: 59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7
MSDN: 94276421fa963122a4e434d3b14fdc01

German:
RTW: 2fa1439dd7425848ba187213f9b9949f

4) Check that your build is Digitally Signed, if it isn't chances are it isn't authentic, however if I recall correctly, the MSDN release isn't digitally signed..

To check for if your version of SP2 is Digitally Signed do the following:

a) Right click the Windows XP SP2 file you downloaded
b) Click on Properties
c) Click on the Digital Signatures tab

If there isn't anything in there with Microsoft Corporation in it then your version of SP2 hasn't been digitally signed, meaning it could possibly be a fake.

5) Check the build number

To check the build number, do the following:

a) Open Explorer or My Computer
b) Click on Help
c) Click on About Windows

The about window should have the following in it:

Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158:Service Pack 2)

I'm only telling you guys this because there are a lot of different builds out there on the internet, just be careful with what you download :\ some of the builds out there contain viruses/trojans..

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Jeronimo on 08-09-2004 at 09:45 PM

From what I read, its going to be on Windows Update on the 25th August. That's also the date when M$ will be sending out free CDs with it on to all that apply.

And yes build 2180, the RTM version is the final product. Its recommended that everyone install it. Its a big service pack :D

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by EvilSeph on 08-10-2004 at 12:13 AM

Timeline:

6th of August - Release of SP2 to manufacturers

9th of August - SP2 released to web (Download Center), SP2 was supposed to be released on this date to MSDN but was released earlier.

10th of August - SP2 will be released to Windows Update but only for systems with an earlier build of SP2 installed.

16th of August - SP2 will be released to Windows Update for every system, even those without an earlier build of SP2 installed. SP2 will also be released to software update services on this day.

25th of August - SP2 will be listed as a critical update and Microsoft will be accepting free CD orders on that day.

It's been reported that downloads will be limited to 2.5 million a day until the 25th of August, as reported by The Inquirer.

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Eljay on 08-10-2004 at 07:18 AM

i heard somewhere that SP2 would make dodgy versions of windows totally mess up and not work
true?

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Menthix on 08-10-2004 at 08:13 AM

I heard somebody say SP2 installs a virus that sends your name and adress to microsoft when your XP isn't legalRumor spread so fast these days :s.

The service pack betas did crash a lot of PC's but hey, that's were beta's are for. The final version supposed to be smooth. If you don't want to take much risk then wait until the 25th and see what it does to other ones PC. But you don't really have much to worry about.

However, SP2 does refuse to install on some (a lot?) of illegal version. To be excact, it blocks certain groups of XP CDkey's if you have susch a key used on your PC it won't work. You can however change your XP key to one that does work but i won't talk about that any further because of the no-warez-policy here.

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by WDZ on 08-10-2004 at 08:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
16th of August - SP2 will be released to Windows Update for every system, even those without an earlier build of SP2 installed. SP2 will also be released to software update services on this day.
I think that's when I'll be downloading it. :p

For such a big update, I think it's best to be careful and not install right away... what if this thing still has bugs? :dodgy:
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by ~INVASION~ on 08-10-2004 at 08:41 AM

where do i put the uxtheme.dll

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Jeronimo on 08-10-2004 at 09:38 AM

Like MenthiX said, lots of rumours always fly around about these things, especially when its Microsoft.

This service pack has undergone some of the greatest internal and external testing Microsoft has ever done for a service pack. So I think its good to go. I installed it last night, and have had zero problems so far. The whole process went smoothly.

Some programs need to be updated to work correctly with XP. These tends to be the big programs like anti-virus, but these can be easy to update with patches from the relevant companies.

There is a guide over on Neowin thats worth checking out for the uxtheme.dll.

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by EvilSeph on 08-10-2004 at 02:25 PM

I believe it fails to mention renaming the uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.bak in ServicePackFiles or something like that, so chances are it won't work... Windows File Protection will restore the old file upon boot and the replace process will be pointless..I can't remember if I'm right..it's just what happened to me.

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Jeronimo on 08-10-2004 at 02:35 PM

Yeah I did wonder about that as well. To be honest I haven't tried that way :$

The other location its stored as a back up is in C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache. Maybe its worth overwriting that one as well.

The whole topic seems a bit voodoo with people talking about doing different things, copying one file, copying lots of files etc.

Of course you could turn off Windows File Protection (its a service), but I don't really recommend that :-/

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by bach_m on 08-10-2004 at 02:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

For such a big update, I think it's best to be careful and not install right away... what if this thing still has bugs?
u don't trust my work? I'm a beta tester, and have had this since it was RTMed. its fine.

the Neowin uxtheme.dll buide can be found here
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by lopardo on 08-10-2004 at 10:00 PM

Still waiting for the Spanish version here...

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by jren207 on 08-13-2004 at 01:34 AM

The security center is annoying when it doesn't recognise my firewall and it loads before my antivirus ans says it's not switched on :S

Other than that, it's ok.

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Moo on 08-13-2004 at 01:50 AM

I'll just wait until my automatic updating thing updates with SP2.

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by bach_m on 08-13-2004 at 02:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
The security center is annoying when it doesn't recognise my firewall and it loads before my antivirus ans says it's not switched on :S

Other than that, it's ok.

so tell it u'll monitor the situation yourself, and it won't bug you
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by jren207 on 08-13-2004 at 01:51 PM

I done that with the firewall already lol. At least it does recognise the antivirus though. But just annoys me till it loads.

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by R0cK3TttttT on 08-13-2004 at 02:12 PM

Still waiting for English version here too...I do like the new look of the update center...

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Menthix on 08-13-2004 at 02:15 PM

The English version of the final SP2 is already available directly from Microsoft:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/5/165b...835935-SP2-ENU.exe

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by WDZ on 08-14-2004 at 12:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
u don't trust my work?
No. :refuck:

quote:
I'm a beta tester, and have had this since it was RTMed. its fine.
On your PC, and as far as you can tell. :p I can't imagine that this release is actually FINAL... once the public starts using it, they will probably discover issues that the beta testers didn't find, because for such a huge update, there's no way the testers could find everything. :-/

I guess if Microsoft did want to fix something, they would release a small patch via Windows Update though... :-/

Anyways, I'm still gonna wait to install, if only to ensure that programs I use are compatible and there are plenty of online support resources. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

:spam:
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Jeronimo on 08-14-2004 at 01:11 AM

I put on SP2 a fair few days ago, and it scary that I haven't actually noticed it. Apart from the Security Centre popping up at the very start, its not a great deal different.

None of my programs have stopped working, nor have I noticed any incompatibility problems.

You have a good point that peoples PC's will differ. Mine and Mike's PC must be similar tho - we both have no problems with it :P

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Black_Forky on 08-14-2004 at 01:15 AM

I heard that it limits new TCP connections to like 10 per second  (bad for torrent lovers)

Good thing there is a patch tho ;)

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by lopardo on 08-14-2004 at 01:51 AM

It's not a patch, you can just change a registry setting if you don't like it.

quote:
TCP/IP and NBT configuration parameters for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314053

TcpNumConnections
Key: Tcpip\Parameters
Value Type: REG_DWORD - Number
Valid Range: 0 - 0xfffffe
Default: 0xfffffe
Description: This parameter limits the maximum number of connections that
TCP can have open at the same time.

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Menthix on 08-14-2004 at 02:27 AM

Lopardo, that setting is for the maximal total connections. Black_Forky is talking about maximal connections a second. Which will be the setting SP2 is really changing?

But i think if it is no more then 10 connections a seconds, but you can still have enough total connections open the it will be ok. I don't think an average user (even a average BitTorrent user) needs more then 10 connections a seconds, if you really do then you can always change it back, just SP2 will enalbe the firewall by default. SP2 is just really aimed at security and clueless/lazy users. In that case it's really good to set security high by default, if users are good enough to do without such security, then they can also search for the info on how to do that. If you think it's to much work to search such info, then you're part of the lazy users :).

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by WDZ on 08-14-2004 at 09:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
I put on SP2 a fair few days ago, and it scary that I haven't actually noticed it.
None of my programs have stopped working, nor have I noticed any incompatibility problems.
:shocked: Cool. :p

quote:
Apart from the Security Centre popping up at the very start, its not a great deal different.
Speaking of the security center, I read that it has alerts and a tray icon... I hope those can be disabled [for all users] because they sound annoying... :dodgy:
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by surfichris on 08-14-2004 at 09:32 AM

Alerts and the tray icon will only show if there is something wrong with the anti virus software or firewall software you have installed - such as the status could not be detected, or the ones you have installed are incompatible. You can also disable it if you like.

I upgraded the other day, I haven't noticed any issues (apart from crap i bought on myself when playing with profiles and domains - but that had nothing to do with sp2).

Its stable, and like some others have said it does appear to be faster.

Now DZ, I know you're scared of new software and updates *cough PHP 5 *cough*, but did you know that if anything goes wrong, you can easily revert back to SP1 and your existing settings? Although I very much doubt anything will go wrong.

Like bach, I've been a tester of SP2 from the beginning, I did notice afew issues present in the early beta's but this RTM/Final looks like it has completely ironed out those issues.

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by BEWARE^^ on 08-14-2004 at 09:44 AM

its a great  sp2 pack really i mean it ;)

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by WDZ on 08-14-2004 at 09:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Its stable, and like some others have said it does appear to be faster.
Well, that's something to look forward to... :banana:

quote:
Now DZ, I know you're scared of new software and updates *cough PHP 5 *cough*,
:refuck:

I actually like software updates, and nearly all my software is up-to-date... it's just the really big updates that "scare" me.

I'll install PHP 5 when I have to, and I'll install XP SP2 when Microsoft says I should. :p

quote:
but did you know that if anything goes wrong, you can easily revert back to SP1 and your existing settings?
I did read that... it's kinda unbelievable though... that must be a pretty sophisticated backup system. :-/
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by surfichris on 08-14-2004 at 11:22 AM

It just copies your system directories to a backup directory..nothing too complicated :refuck:

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by WDZ on 08-15-2004 at 05:06 AM

Blahhh... :dodgy:

OK, new stupid question! Go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winx...tain/winxpsp2.mspx and click "Download and Deploy Service Pack 2 to Multiple Computers." On that page it says...

quote:
DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for more information on receiving Windows XP SP2.
:o Why is that first line bold and capitalized? Is there some danger? It's the same 266MB WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe that all the sites are talking about, and that I assume everyone is installing. :-/
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by ddunk on 08-15-2004 at 05:09 AM

I guess it's only for your bandwith reasons, why dl something that's 200 MB when you can get it for 90 some MB... if you want, neowin has the link to the 90 MB one, but you can't slipstream that one, only the 266MB.

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/...9c147e24208bde.exe

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by surfichris on 08-15-2004 at 05:10 AM

If you are updating one computer its recommended that you use the express install which is roughly 90mb. There is no danger, its just recommended for users who only need to install it once on one version. The 266mb version includes patches for all versions of XP and is recommended for network administrators.

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by ddunk on 08-15-2004 at 08:08 AM

I just came across this on Neowin and posted it in mIRC, figure I should post it here too. It's all the programs that have compatability issues with SP2

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=88...oduct=windowsxpsp2

Some ones of note include: Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint, Norton Antivirus 2003,   Norton Systemworks 2003 - GoBack Personal Edition,  Norton Systemworks 2003 Professional Edition, and  McAfee VirusScan v4.51

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by BEWARE^^ on 08-15-2004 at 08:13 AM

then i hope some games will still be able to play without going to crash:S

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Nemesis on 08-19-2004 at 07:48 PM

Has no one else had the problem I'm having?

I download the Express Install, it installs until the point after it's done an inventory of the system, and where it starts to download the components and things that your computer needs when it comes to a message saying it can't connect to the server...

However, I got the Automatic Update notification today, pressed download and the window disappeared... nothing has happened with or to it since. This also happened to a friend of mine.

:s

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by B-HLQ on 08-20-2004 at 05:59 AM

How come everyone has installed Win XP SP2? I just tried to download it from Windows Update website but it doesnt say anything about SP2, although the layout of the site has changed.

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by lopardo on 08-20-2004 at 07:13 AM

It's still not available in all languages.

RE: RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Hank on 08-20-2004 at 07:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
It's still not available in all languages.

Might wanna read this

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/08/18/HNholesinsp2_1.html

the URL says that Researches Found 2 Holes in XP SP2 already
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by s7a5 on 08-20-2004 at 07:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by B-HLQ
I just tried to download it from Windows Update website but it doesnt say anything about SP2, although the layout of the site has changed.

quote:
The first computer owners to get Windows XP Service Pack 2 began receiving it on Wednesday night, Microsoft said. The update is being sent to people who have the automatic update feature turned on in the operating system. But it will take at least a few weeks to deliver the 80-plus megabyte patch to the installed user base, a company representative said on Thursday.

RE: Win XP SP2 Released by lopardo on 08-20-2004 at 03:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
Might wanna read this

Don't know what that has to do with the languages :), but, I wouldn't say those are "holes", they are just bugs, and very small ones I think (if it could allow an attacker to remotely execute code, then it would be a big one...)
RE: RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Hank on 08-21-2004 at 02:17 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
Might wanna read this

Don't know what that has to do with the languages :), but, I wouldn't say those are "holes", they are just bugs, and very small ones I think (if it could allow an attacker to remotely execute code, then it would be a big one...)

Security firm Secunia has detailed a new flaw in Internet Explorer that affects users running Windows XP Service Pack 2. The vulnerability involves drag-and-drop, which can be used within a Web page to place a malicious program in the Windows startup folder.

Secunia has branded the issue "highly critical" and says it comes from "insufficient validation of drag and drop events issued from the 'Internet' zone." Users are advised to disable Active Scripting, or use a Web browser other than Internet Explorer.

The security researcher who discovered the flaw has posted proof-of-conccept code, which involves dragging an image across a Web page. But Secunia says it could be simplified to require just one mouse click.

Microsoft, however, brushed off concerns over the potential issue. "Given the significant amount of user action required to execute an attack, Microsoft does not consider this to be a high risk for customers," the company said.

URL to read it. http://www.betanews.com/article/1093035994

another Post

Microsoft has released the first hotfix for SP2, even before it's long-awaited massive upgrade patch has fully been distributed to all users. The new hotfix is aimed at an IP address connection issue which surfaced shortly after SP2 had made it's debut.

Rob Enderle, principal analyst for technology analysis firm The Enderle Group, stated, "Writing software is a complicated endeavor done by humans, [and] we don't see SP2 as the be-all and end-all, that there will no longer be a need for future patches."

The new hotfix for SP2 patches a problem that the service pack created for some users of virtual private networks (VPN). Though the problem pertains to only a small amount of XP and SP2 users, Microsoft was quick to release the first of what is sure to be several more hotfixes
RE: Win XP SP2 Released by lopardo on 08-21-2004 at 02:25 AM

:blah!: Another Internet Explorer bug, not that risky though, but, get Firefox and problem solved...

Why does it seem to me you're anti-Microsoft? Oh yeah, "Fed0ra C0re Linux"... :) (If you like Linux, that's fine, but no need to start bitching at Microsoft, and I'm being objective here).

Well, we're going off-topic here, so end of this discussion. :)

RE: RE: Win XP SP2 Released by Hank on 08-21-2004 at 02:30 AM

quote:
:blah!: Another Internet Explorer bug, not that risky though, but, get Firefox and problem solved...

Why does it seem to me you're anti-Microsoft? Oh yeah, "Fed0ra C0re Linux"... :) (If you like Linux, that's fine, but no need to start bitching at Microsoft, and I'm being objective here).

Well, we're going off-topic here, so end of this discussion. :)

i actually do use Firefox an Netscape, just goes to show ya how unsecure there own "patch" is .