Shoutbox

Weird files in c:// - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Weird files in c:// (/showthread.php?tid=29719)

Weird files in c:// by RebelSean on 08-09-2004 at 09:11 PM

Well, today I was cleaning my computer cause now im using almost 10 gigs of space, and I went in c:// and I saw these files and they havenever been there before. Can anyone tell me were there soposed to be at?

[Image: attachment.php?pid=289212]

RE: Weird files in c:// by user27089 on 08-09-2004 at 09:12 PM

These files may have stuff to do with the system do not remove them. your best bet is to run some scanning programs.

RE: Weird files in c:// by RebelSean on 08-09-2004 at 09:14 PM

I wasn't  planing on removing them, as for I think they go somewere in else in my drive.:undecided:

RE: Weird files in c:// by Ezra on 08-09-2004 at 09:21 PM

You are referring to the ones that are grayed a little? Those are hidden files, you probably switched on to show hidden files.

RE: Weird files in c:// by RebelSean on 08-09-2004 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
You are referring to the ones that are grayed a little? Those are hidden files, you probably switched on to show hidden files.

No, im talkin about ALL the files in there, except the folders. They have never been there. Is it a posibility that I switched on to show hidden files? If so how do I make it to were it dont show them? Couse im tempting to delete them lol
RE: Weird files in c:// by CookieRevised on 08-10-2004 at 01:39 AM

• "Msdos.---" => can be safely be deleted...
  • "npd*.*" => seems like some misplaced driver things...
  • "welcome.dll" => Welcome plugin for plus!. The dll can be placed in the plugins directory instead of here: unregister the dll here, move it to the plugins folder, register it again there.
  • "welcome.wav" => Welcome plugin for plus!. Actual soundfile. Must be in here...
  • "dblspace.*" => do not touch this unless you want to screw all your data
  • "drvspace.*" => do not touch this unless you want to screw all your data
  • "contactspy.*" => website link, can be deleted safely (doing dodgy things hu?)
  • "Asd.*" => website link, can be deleted safely
  • "scandisk.*" => website link, can be deleted safely
  • "winzip.*" => website link, can be deleted safely
  • "detlog.old" => can be safely be deleted
  • "bootlog.*" => can be safely be deleted
  • "detlog.*" => can be safely be deleted
  • "autoexec.bat" => do not touch this unless you want to screw up windows a bit
  • "config.sys" => do not touch this unless you want to screw up windows a bit
  • "io.sys" => do not touch this unless you want to screw up windows a bit
  • "logo.sys" => do not touch this unless you want to screw up windows a bit
  • "msdos.sys" => do not touch this unless you want to screw up windows a bit
  • "Gobackio*.*" => No idea what that is...
  • "lph.ph" => no idea
  • "glic.*" => no idea

RE: Weird files in c:// by ddunk on 08-10-2004 at 02:17 AM

ACcording to google, GoBackio.bin has to do with Roxio's BoBack software, I wouldn't reccomend deleting it as it most likely will screw up that program.

RE: Weird files in c:// by RebelSean on 08-10-2004 at 02:26 AM

Thanks for that cookie. Tbh, I don''t know how to register/unregister stuff, mind helping me out?

RE: Weird files in c:// by Menthix on 08-10-2004 at 06:30 AM

"Start" > "Run" > "regsvr32 /u c:\welcome.dll" should do it i guess.

To register it again, regsvr32 do "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\Plugins\welcome.dll" depending on where you installed Plus! ofcourse.

RE: Weird files in c:// by marissa on 08-10-2004 at 06:33 AM

you must of chose "show hidden files and folders" in tools>folder options. (just a guess...)

RE: Weird files in c:// by RebelSean on 08-10-2004 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
"Start" > "Run" > "regsvr32 /u c:\welcome.dll" should do it i guess.

To register it again, regsvr32 do "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\Plugins\welcome.dll" depending on where you installed Plus! ofcourse.

I did that regedit thing and erm it says: Load Library failed. GetlastError returns 0x00000485.
Any help?
RE: Weird files in c:// by Menthix on 08-10-2004 at 10:02 PM

Did the un-registering succeeded though? If so and you want Welcome plugin for plus! back then just grab yourself a freash copy of it and follow it's official instructions.

RE: Weird files in c:// by RebelSean on 08-10-2004 at 10:56 PM

It didn't say that it was. Is there a way to make positivly sure it did?:undecided:

RE: Weird files in c:// by RebelSean on 08-14-2004 at 06:19 PM

Sorry about the double post, but can anyone tell me how to get the folders, My Recieved Files, and Sean's School Stuff, to be not hidden when I select that it hides hidden files? Becouse wene I select to hide hidden files, it hides all the soposted to be hidden files on my hard drive.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=291643]

RE: Weird files in c:// by Menthix on 08-14-2004 at 06:33 PM

Right click on those folders, then choose "Properties", uncheck the "Hidden" attribute and press ok.

RE: Weird files in c:// by RebelSean on 08-14-2004 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Right click on those folders, then choose "Properties", uncheck the "Hidden" attribute and press ok.

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

RE: Weird files in c:// by Dane on 08-14-2004 at 07:19 PM

GoBackio.bin is associated with Norton GoBack 3.x, 2.x and 1.x, Adaptec GoBack 2.x, 1.x, and Roxio GoBack 3.x, 2.x, 1.x

DO NOT DELETE GoBackio.bin, as you will lose all revert points and screw up Drive C:\

RE: Weird files in c:// by RebelSean on 08-14-2004 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
GoBackio.bin is associated with Norton GoBack 3.x, 2.x and 1.x, Adaptec GoBack 2.x, 1.x, and Roxio GoBack 3.x, 2.x, 1.x

DO NOT DELETE GoBackio.bin, as you will lose all revert points and screw up Drive C:\

Actually, that is a missplaced configuration file from my Gatway Goback program, and wich does mean if I delete it I wont get revertion points. But thanks! :d