Shoutbox

very urgent............. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: very urgent............. (/showthread.php?tid=29725)

very urgent............. by irish_king on 08-10-2004 at 01:28 AM

my cd-rom driveis not showing up in windows exploer and it does not show up in my computer,
does anybody know how to fix it? please and thanks

RE: very urgent............. by .blade// on 08-10-2004 at 01:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by irish_king
my cd-rom driveis not showing up in windows exploer and it does not show up in my computer,
does anybody know how to fix it? please and thanks

This happened to me with my floppy drive. As far as I can tell, the only way to fix it is by re-installing Windows (that's what Dell tech support told me...it sucked ass :S)
RE: very urgent............. by irish_king on 08-10-2004 at 01:40 AM

will i lose all my data? (music,games,appz)

RE: very urgent............. by .blade// on 08-10-2004 at 01:43 AM

quote:
will i lose all my data? (music,games,appz)

Yes, but do you have any of these:
- CD or DVD burner
- External Hard Drive
- Secondary (Slave) Hard Drive?
RE: very urgent............. by irish_king on 08-10-2004 at 01:44 AM

what i lost is my cd burner, and i only have that installed in my computer, and my data is well over 70 gigs

RE: very urgent............. by bach_m on 08-10-2004 at 01:46 AM

thats not the only way to fix it....

check it in ur bios.

restart, and look for the thing saying "Press F2(or Delete, or F8, or something) to enter setup". then do that. check that ur CD-ROm drives are set to Auto.

DON"T CHANGE ANYTHING U DON"T UNDERSTAND

RE: very urgent............. by .blade// on 08-10-2004 at 01:46 AM

quote:
what i lost is my cd burner, and i only have that installed in my computer, and my data is well over 70 gigs

Do you have a friend with any kind of, say, jump drive/ portable HD/ Ipod?
RE: very urgent............. by DJeX on 08-10-2004 at 04:09 AM

You could try Searching for New Hardware in the Control Panel, it just might find it. Usually what happens is either the drivers or some Windows files have been misplaced or messed up. Have you installed anything before this happened? If so uninstall it or if you have Windows XP, try to start with a last good configuration by pressing F8 while booting up then selecting from the menu. Or try reverting back to a previous date. But the thing I would check first, before you do any of this is check your System Properties. Right click My Computer, click properties. OR go to control panel and double click System. Then click the Hardware tab, and click Device Manager (Win XP) or Device Manager Tab (Win 9X). Scan through the list and see if there is any items that have a ! or ? beside them. If some do have a ! or ?, check to see if its your CD-Rom name, or the manufactures name. If any of them are, double click them to see a screen appear with an explanation why it is not working. Give that a try.

RE: very urgent............. by irish_king on 08-10-2004 at 10:14 AM

i tried that nohing worked

RE: very urgent............. by Plik on 08-10-2004 at 11:55 AM

try opening the drive, if that doesnt work it means that the drive is busted, or that the power cable has fallen out of the back of it. If you had been moving the computer around alot before you lost it then you could have knocked the power or IDE cable out of the back. Best way to tell is open your computer up and have a look. All though that is probally a bad idea if you dont know what your doing

RE: very urgent............. by irish_king on 08-10-2004 at 01:29 PM

i'll try that and post my results.

thanks for all the help.

RE: very urgent............. by irish_king on 08-11-2004 at 12:36 PM

instead of me opening up my computer to see if any wires were loose,i just called the store where i bought it and i asked the guy what he thought could be wrong, he sais this: it could be a loose wire, or the whole cd rom is blown.

RE: very urgent............. by KeyStorm on 08-11-2004 at 01:13 PM

It could also be caused by a virus. You can try the http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan virus check.  Something similar happenned to me several years ago with the famous virus Natas.

RE: very urgent............. by irish_king on 08-11-2004 at 01:18 PM

if it is a virus how would i gt me cd-rom back?

RE: very urgent............. by KeyStorm on 08-11-2004 at 01:25 PM

Having it cleaned up by the antivirus (activescan does also kill them) and a restart should fix it. :)

Anyway, analyse it harware-wise:

Try another cd-rom device. If that does not work it could be a failure in the motherboard. If this is the case, change the position of the device (any of the free IDE cables: primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave).

If this didn't solve it you should try another motherboard (but let that to the technicians ;))

RE: very urgent............. by irish_king on 08-11-2004 at 01:29 PM

i have only one cd-rom drive (cd burner)

RE: very urgent............. by KeyStorm on 08-11-2004 at 01:33 PM

Well, try to change the position. Shut down the computer, unplug it from power supply, swap the large flat cable plugged to the device with another one wich is not used (do not swap it with the one plugged to the hard-disk).

Start the computer. If it works, you're done. ;)

If not it's probably the device itself what got broken, to fix it you'll have to buy a new one.

RE: very urgent............. by irish_king on 08-11-2004 at 01:36 PM

i'll try it and let you know,
can i add you to my msn?
tabbs_boi@hotmail.com