Shoutbox

Patchin my modem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Patchin my modem (/showthread.php?tid=29881)

Patchin my modem by RebelSean on 08-12-2004 at 08:41 PM

Anyone know any patches were my modem can't be disconnected remotely. Like were I can't get disconnected from my isp without the server I'm connected to disconnects me? P.S I did the way surfi told me in a pm about putting the s2=255 or something in my settings and it didnt work. Anything else anyone?

RE: Patchin my modem by Omar on 08-12-2004 at 08:48 PM

Sean, this suggestion might be "outside the box", but you may try and research the subject...go to google and I'm sure you'll find a few pages  with clear enough language that youll understand...

I'm not a computer saavy person also... but if you search for it, you'll find answers....I'm sure there's people in this forum that might help you, but the satisfaction of dealing with the problem yourself is bigger.... :)

P.S..- did i just called you Sean??? :P

RE: Patchin my modem by RebelSean on 08-12-2004 at 08:50 PM

I was planing on searching today, but my other thread got deleted and I couldnt find the things I needed to search for

yay you called me Sean lol

RE: Patchin my modem by Dane on 08-12-2004 at 09:40 PM

Uhmm...So your trying to steal internet? :|

RE: Patchin my modem by RebelSean on 08-12-2004 at 09:43 PM

No, just trying to stop some people from disconnecting me remotly.

RE: Patchin my modem by Dane on 08-12-2004 at 09:44 PM

O, Okay...Thought you were trying to steal cableNET :p.

RE: Patchin my modem by jren207 on 08-12-2004 at 10:02 PM

A solution would be good, because I still have *cough* dial-up *cough* at the moment and my ISP disconnects me after a 2 hour period (not good when downloading large files at a slowish speed).

RE: Patchin my modem by RebelSean on 08-12-2004 at 10:09 PM

There's nothing you can do about that. Thats your ISP's thing. This thing stops from a user remotly disconnecting your computer.:)

RE: Patchin my modem by jren207 on 08-13-2004 at 12:53 AM

:(

* jren207 goes to get broadband...

RE: Patchin my modem by Mippo on 08-13-2004 at 06:34 AM

If they're using the escape code "hack" (+++ATH0), you can prevent that on putting guard time on the espace code, the +++. This means there has to be 1 second (or another specified time) of nothing before and after the +++ is sent, else it won't go into command mode where they can give hangup commands or anything else. This is a very good protection because it's almost impossible to do remotely. Please check out this page: http://www.modemsite.com/56k/escape.asp.

Basically that page says that you can disable the escape code completely by putting in s2=255 in the extra settings for your modem (like surfi said), but the guard time is a better way, by putting s12=(time you want in 50's of a second for guard time) in the extra settings. I'd make it one second.

Good luck :)

RE: Patchin my modem by seany on 08-13-2004 at 07:44 AM

you dont really patch your modem at all. you just change some settings in the software controlling it. you are not flashing the modem or anything like that, so you could look for a flash update for your modem aswell.

RE: Patchin my modem by Mippo on 08-13-2004 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by seany
you dont really patch your modem at all. you just change some settings in the software controlling it. you are not flashing the modem or anything like that, so you could look for a flash update for your modem aswell.
The setting I suggested should work perfectly for many, many modems.. you don't need to flash it, probably. Also interesting is that most internal modems aren't flashable, but are updated with a new driver. :grin:
</know-it-all>

RE: Patchin my modem by RebelSean on 08-13-2004 at 10:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mippo
If they're using the escape code "hack" (+++ATH0), you can prevent that on putting guard time on the espace code, the +++. This means there has to be 1 second (or another specified time) of nothing before and after the +++ is sent, else it won't go into command mode where they can give hangup commands or anything else. This is a very good protection because it's almost impossible to do remotely. Please check out this page: http://www.modemsite.com/56k/escape.asp.

Basically that page says that you can disable the escape code completely by putting in s2=255 in the extra settings for your modem (like surfi said), but the guard time is a better way, by putting s12=(time you want in 50's of a second for guard time) in the extra settings. I'd make it one second.

Good luck :)

(y) Thanks! oh ya, and thanks Surfi. All fixed now. :d

Ya can close thread now! :banana:
RE: Patchin my modem by BEWARE^^ on 08-14-2004 at 12:30 PM

why would you patch your modem if it has nothing to do with it what then [Image: msn_wink.old.gif][Image: msn_wink.old.gif][Image: msn_wink.old.gif]

RE: Patchin my modem by RebelSean on 08-14-2004 at 02:06 PM

Umm, so it can't be remotly disconnected from anyone but my ISP...

I don't have to worry about Shaun no more b/c he not a IRCop from what I was told! :lol:

RE: Patchin my modem by BEWARE^^ on 08-14-2004 at 03:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Umm, so it can't be remotly disconnected from anyone but my ISP...

I don't have to worry about Shaun no more b/c he not a IRCop from what I was told! :lol:

what is standing under that line you have drawed over the last line can't read it:P