Shoutbox

MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB (/showthread.php?tid=29943)

MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by poedguy on 08-14-2004 at 04:02 PM

Whenever I compile an application in Visual Basic with MessengerPlus running in the background, MsgPlusH.dll is required to run it. I only have this problem on WindowsXP when the XP visual styles are applied to my application.

Using Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger (Any version)
Using MsgPlus 3.01.94 (but still had the problem with MsgPlus 2.x)

Thanks,
Justin Allen
Software Engineer
Xillion Computers
"Trust Your Technolust"
http://www.xillioncomputers.com

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by RaceProUK on 08-14-2004 at 11:00 PM

You might want to check the References.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by eckocomplex on 08-15-2004 at 12:44 AM

It's true, I noticed it the other night...

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by Jnrz7 on 08-15-2004 at 03:02 AM

when global hooking, the DLL is loaded into each running process by Windows.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by Patchou on 08-15-2004 at 03:39 AM

Because Messenger Plus! is using global hooks, its DLL is loaded in every process created in the system. HGowever, this has nothing to do with references... Messenger Plus! is absolutely not required by any other application you compile while its running,don't worry about it :).

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by poedguy on 08-15-2004 at 05:28 AM

It is required. When I install one of the programs on another XP machine which has never had messenger plus on it, it doesn't run. But if I put MsgPlusH.dll in the system32 folder it does run.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by lopardo on 08-15-2004 at 05:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
You might want to check the References.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by poedguy on 08-15-2004 at 06:02 AM

You can't add a non ActiveX dll as a reference

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by lopardo on 08-15-2004 at 06:06 AM

Sorry, I don't know about VB.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by Patchou on 08-15-2004 at 07:24 AM

Well, I really have no idea how your VB is configured but I can guarentee you it has nothing to do with Plus! itself, sorry.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by poedguy on 08-15-2004 at 08:53 AM

It is Plus! even when i install a new version of VB (default install) on another computer and compile a program (With an XP Visual Style Manifest) with Plus! running it has the same problem, so don't blame my computer.

Also when i don't have Plus! running in the background i don't have the problem.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by Menthix on 08-15-2004 at 04:51 PM

Patchou didn't blame your PC, you could consider it a VB bug. Visual Basic thinks MsgPlusH.dll is needed, however, MsgPlusH.dll just uses a unusual hooking method but that doesn't mean it is needed, Visual Basic is wrong in that. You could try to contact Microsoft about it or just leave Plus! closed while you are developing.

I think Patchou just ment that it's Microsoft to fix it if needed, not Patchou/MsgPlus!.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by Millenium_edition on 08-15-2004 at 06:33 PM

VB6 is not supported starting from 2005. MS will tell you not to use Plus!, so your post MenthiX had no sence.

I'll have to check this, when I have time.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by Menthix on 08-15-2004 at 06:49 PM

eckocomplex and poedguy didn't say they were using VB6, they could very well be using a new version. But even if they do use VB6, the thing is that it's not Plus! what should be fixed.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by Patchou on 08-16-2004 at 07:53 AM

If there's a bug somewhere here, it'S in VB, not in Plus!. Maybe VB checks the DLL loaded in memory when the process starts and just assumes that all of them are dependencies... it's not my fault if VB is dumb enough to do that (not that I have anything against this language, it's just a fact). It means you would have the same problem with any other application using system hooks.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by Millenium_edition on 08-16-2004 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
If there's a bug somewhere here, it'S in VB, not in Plus!. Maybe VB checks the DLL loaded in memory when the process starts and just assumes that all of them are dependencies... it's not my fault if VB is dumb enough to do that (not that I have anything against this language, it's just a fact). It means you would have the same problem with any other application using system hooks.
I'm not sure, but you might have problems with norton utilities too =/
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
eckocomplex and poedguy didn't say they were using VB6, they could very well be using a new version. But even if they do use VB6, the thing is that it's not Plus! what should be fixed.
eckocomplex uses vb6 in MD, trust me. And if it was vb.net they would have specified?
RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by eckocomplex on 08-17-2004 at 11:33 AM

m_e is right. But out of 200,000 users noone has reported MD needing the plus hook DLL...

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by Millenium_edition on 08-17-2004 at 12:08 PM

those 200 000 use/have used plus before maybe?

What could also be possible is that you don't use the DLL at run-time, therefore it won't be used. like API calls, if you're using a non-existing library, you don't get an error until you call the function

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by Patchou on 08-17-2004 at 04:59 PM

Hum.... again, I'm not a VB programmer but I guess it has something to do with the Package Distribution software (or whatever it's called now :p). I'm pretty sure that VB itself won't add any DLL to its referrences, especially not DLL like mine that do not export any ActiveX object. HPoedguy probably uses the distribution wizard and this one is probably the one that is making strange things to the VB executable.

Also, I remind everybody that there's nothing to use in the MsgPlusH DLL directly, it doesn't export any API.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by poedguy on 08-17-2004 at 05:22 PM

I'm not using the crappy PD wizard, and never have. I use InstallShield. But it still has nothing to do with the distribution, it is when compiling. And there are actually some APIs in MsgPlusH: MessengerPlusGlobalHook and SetGlobalHook are some.

But my programs don't call any Messenger Plus! APIs, although when i do not include a Visual Style Manifest I do not have the problem. There must be something wrong with MsgPlusH.dll, VB and uxtheme.dll.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by Patchou on 08-17-2004 at 05:32 PM

There's nothing wrong with my DLL :p. MessengerPlusGlobalHook and SetGlobalHook are not part of an API, they are internal functions used by Plus! only. VB can't reference this DLL itself as it needs it to be an ActiveX to do so, and it's not. I really wonder what's the problem you'Re currently experiencing but unfortunately, there's still nothing I can do about it, sorry about that.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by poedguy on 08-17-2004 at 05:37 PM

Actually DLLs don't need to be ActiveX to be referenced in VB, that's how most functions are called. I really don't know why this error exists, and obviously neither do you. I guess i'll just compile with Plus! closed for now.

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by lopardo on 08-17-2004 at 05:40 PM

Have you tried it in another computer (or another OS)?

RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB by poedguy on 08-17-2004 at 05:46 PM

I already said I have tried another computer. Another OS will not have the problem because it is a problem with the Windows XP Visual Styles.