Shoutbox

mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 (/showthread.php?tid=29955)

mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 by dr del on 08-14-2004 at 09:51 PM

hi there,

was hoping someone can help with this problem,

sp2 installs fine with msgplus installed but afterwards you are unable to close the windows messenger prog.
it says another process is using the features provided by windows messenger.

i spent ages try into find the cause for this ( the net suggests its caused by integration with norton anti-virus and outlook 2002 - neither of which i use)

i uninstalled msgpus and the problem disappears.

i have tested this on 3 seperate computers - 2 updated to sp2 from previous sp1 and one fresh install using a slipstreamed media.problem is identical on all systems.

im using 3.01.94 and once you install sp2 your windows messenger version is 4.7.3000.

can anyone suggest anything?

dr del

RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 by Joe on 08-14-2004 at 10:03 PM

sys. restore to before you installed SP2, and wait for the Official release is all I can think of, but I'm sure someone else has better advice

RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 by Kryptonate on 08-14-2004 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by atownjoe
sys. restore to before you installed SP2, and wait for the Official release is all I can think of, but I'm sure someone else has better advice
SP2 is officially released already :p

You sure you aren't running any other processes? Windows Messenger and Plus! often don't work that well together.. don't really know a solution
RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 by dr del on 08-14-2004 at 10:21 PM

hey dude,

nah its no biggie - only playing with sp2 on the spare comps to identify any problems before i try it on the main machine :D

already learned i have to uninstall daemon tools and alcohol before installing but that they work fine once its in and theyre re-installed.

this is the final release of sp2 by the way - its the release to manufacturers version . the redistibutable is the only option for me as im on dial up and trying to update every computer on the network works out about the same time on the download  witrhout the advantage of having a backup copy on disk or a slipstreamed media to avoid having to do it all again at some point in the future.

your advice about making a restore point should be heeded though  :) sp2 makes it own on during install it claims but i for one wouldnt trust it as far as i could comfortably spit a rat.

**edit**

hey kryptonate

maybe ive just been lucky but ive bin using messenger plus with windows messenger for years - you dont get some functions but thats about it.

i have pretty much savaged the process list during the testing process for this - even stopping msgplus process doesnt help - you actually have to uninstall the program to get the error to dissapear.

**/end edit**

dr del

RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 by Patchou on 08-15-2004 at 03:44 AM

The only thing I can think of is that you have a defective plugin installed on your system. If that's not it, well, I'll have to fix the bug :). As long as it doesn't create any side effect, it's not that important though (at least, not enough to justify an immediate patch).

RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 by dr del on 08-15-2004 at 03:58 AM

hey dude,

i agree its not that big a deal - you just have to use the 3 finger salute if you want to exit messenger. :)

i can honestly say ive never installed any plugins (or sponsor programs either :$ )

can i assume from the lack of posts in the forum this in no way affects msn?

i had avoided that because people always said they got pop ups and i have never had one with windows messenger (too lame to flame probably )

dr del

RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 by anand on 08-15-2004 at 04:37 AM

Yes I never saw this problem with msn, probably this is more related to windows messenger...

RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 by university_guy on 08-16-2004 at 06:28 PM

I have sp2 and currently have not had any trouble at all but i noticed that i use Windows Messengar 5 and you said 4.7

Try downloading Windows Messenger 5

RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 by Millenium_edition on 08-16-2004 at 06:37 PM

are you sure it's not a connection issue? when signing out and exiting msn it waits before it got an answer from the server, which sucks badly in MSN.

RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 by Menthix on 08-16-2004 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by university_guy
i use Windows Messengar 5 and you said 4.7
quote:
Originally posted by dr del
once you install sp2 your windows messenger version is 4.7.3000

Windows Messenger 5 is diffrent then Windows Messenger 4.x. If Windows Messenger 5 was a replacement for the 4.7.x series then Microsoft would have already put that one in SP2. Windows Messenger 5 is aimed at people who use an exchange account to chat over the corporate network. Windows Messenger 4.7.3000 is the latest version around in this serie and should be fully supported, by Plus! too in my opinion.

Windows Update confirms this story BTW, at least when you update a Windows XP (SP1  or lower) machine at Windows Update it will ask you to install 4.7.x and not the 5.x serie.
RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2 by Anubis on 08-16-2004 at 07:33 PM

Actually the main reason Windows Messenger 5 was put on an optional back seat was because of its size and not many people downloaded it, and the new features were for businesses as you said...
Personally I use Windows Messenger 5, for some reason that screwy Windows Messenger starting up in the background signing in over MSN Messenger problem (yes I used Cookies method) didn't stop until I additionally changed to Windows Messenger 5...
There is a chance upgrading to Windows Messenger 5 may fix this, since it is effected...you can download it at http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/6/c/46cf...0d44df/install.exe