Shoutbox

Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive (/showthread.php?tid=29981)

Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive by matty on 08-15-2004 at 06:23 PM

I am royally pissed off right now at Western Digital. A first I defended their product when people were saying that it sucks. Now I am truly against the product. I bought my 100gb hard drive in November of 2002 and it died in December 2003 so I complained and they replaced it. So I get the new drive and again I get a SMART hard drive failure 5 months after getting the new one. So instead of setting up an RMA now I am waiting to talk to their tech support and complain about their product.

This is just me venting. Oh and unlike the first time I was able to recovery all the data. Gotta love having another 120gb drive to back data up on.

Thanks for listening.
Matty

RE: Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive by .blade// on 08-15-2004 at 06:53 PM

I have one and haven't had any problems with it...mind you it is my slave but w/e...^o)

RE: Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive by matty on 08-15-2004 at 06:54 PM

Ya my 120gb Maxtor is my Primary Master and my 100gb Western Digital is my Primary Slave

RE: Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive by user27089 on 08-15-2004 at 07:06 PM

Thats mucked up, you lost everything! Can't they do something to reimburse you or anything?

RE: Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive by matty on 08-15-2004 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Thats mucked up, you lost everything! Can't they do something to reimburse you or anything?
The first time I lost everything, this time I was able to recover what I needed on 2 of the 3 partitions (the 3rd partition was just ghost backups so I was ok)
RE: Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive by lizard.boy on 08-15-2004 at 10:28 PM

yeah and i think that western digital that uses the 39th pin cable in the ide cable to determine which drive is slave. so if you cut that pin to do a mod you loose the functionality of the drive in your system

edit: nope  its mostly maxtor that does that. mod guide link

RE: Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive by lopardo on 08-15-2004 at 10:47 PM

I have an 80GB WD hard drive, no problems at the moment (and I had a 20GB WD hard drive before, never had any problems).

RE: Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive by .blade// on 08-15-2004 at 10:52 PM

Ya, mine's 120 gb's and I've had it since January, I believe....never any problems...

RE: Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive by matty on 08-15-2004 at 11:45 PM

I guess its just me with shitty luck from WD. Well I will post a reply of what they say.

RE: Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive by Moo on 08-16-2004 at 12:43 AM

I have 2 80 GB hard drives... no problems here!

RE: RE: Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive by Hank on 08-16-2004 at 01:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by guillaume.lafrance
I have 2 80 GB hard drives... no problems here!

i use Maxtor , my 1st comp i ever had was a maxtor1.3Gig . never any problems with it. the next one after that i got a 6.4Gig Seagate HDD, no problems, then after that i got another Seagate Drive which was a 10. something Gig HDD, no problems at all. then after that i always got a maxtor Drives. i got 2 HDD's both IDE drives. 40Gig for Windows an 80Gig for linux

RE: Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive by surfichris on 08-16-2004 at 02:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
I am royally pissed off right now at Western Digital. A first I defended their product when people were saying that it sucks. Now I am truly against the product. I bought my 100gb hard drive in November of 2002 and it died in December 2003 so I complained and they replaced it. So I get the new drive and again I get a SMART hard drive failure 5 months after getting the new one. So instead of setting up an RMA now I am waiting to talk to their tech support and complain about their product.
Welcome to the real world. I had to do an RMA replacement on My WD 80gb hard drive about a month ago. I too had only had it for about a year. I was very satisfied with the replacement procedure and the technical support staff were very friendly at all times. (Mine was a SMART failure too).